Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:52 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,260,506 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been offered an employment contract, specifiying employment for x number of years, base salary, etc?

right now I'm looking at door # and door #2. Door #1 is with the govt, stable, excellent benefits, limited upward mobility, work not very stimulating.

Door #2 is with a major corp, much better salary, benefits comparable to the govt job, vast upward potential, however, has a history of laying off, as many large corps do these days.

I'd rather go for the $$$, but want stability. Has anyone ever been offered a contract with a corp to give a floor of stability?

Note, neither one has made a firm offer, I'm just playing what-if games in my head!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 04:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,182,070 times
My husband has been with a very stable, financially healthy, well established company in the I/T department for 13 years now. He didn't jump ship for the big bucks during the Y2K "crisis" like many of his coworkers did. He's just been Steady Freddy, and is still working making a fair salary with great benefits when many of his former coworkers who went chasing big bucks are bagging groceries for a living since the I/T market dried up.

These days I think we need to look at the long term more than ever. I'm currently working at a well established, financially stable company in a job that I could do until I retire. It's not the most glamourous or interesting work, but the pay is fair, the commute is reasonable, and the work atmosphere is laid-back. I could be looking for something more exciting and quite possibly more room for long term growth, but at this point in my career and this economy I think where I am is a better (safer) place to be.

Food for thought.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:09 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,748,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Has anyone ever been offered an employment contract, specifiying employment for x number of years, base salary, etc?
If you mean an employment contract that guarantees your job for x amount of time, no matter what happens, then no. I don't think there's a company out there that is foolish enough to do this. Offer letters for permanent full time positions will not specify your employment length. Contract/temporary positions will specify your employment length on the offer letter, but even that usually includes one or two clauses that allow early termination due to performance issues, etc.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,169,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
my husband has been with a very stable, financially healthy, well established company in the i/t department for 13 years now. He didn't jump ship for the big bucks during the y2k "crisis" like many of his coworkers did. He's just been steady freddy, and is still working making a fair salary with great benefits when many of his former coworkers who went chasing big bucks are bagging groceries for a living since the i/t market dried up.

These days i think we need to look at the long term more than ever. I'm currently working at a well established, financially stable company in a job that i could do until i retire. It's not the most glamourous or interesting work, but the pay is fair, the commute is reasonable, and the work atmosphere is laid-back. I could be looking for something more exciting and quite possibly more room for long term growth, but at this point in my career and this economy i think where i am is a better (safer) place to be.

Food for thought.

toot toot!!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
toot toot!!!!

wondering when you'd show up!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,182,070 times
Quote:
toot toot!!!!
If you have gas, GasX might help.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you have gas, GasX might help.

Like that commercial for the Gas X strips?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:43 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,870,898 times
Quote:
toot toot!!!!
... is what you do when you eat too many Fruit Loops. I hear that Beano helps, too.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:44 PM

853 posts, read 4,049,203 times
If it were me, I would go the safe route based on the economy, unless the job would be so uninteresting that I could not do it long term anyway.

I would say to also consider your age, income needs, risk tolerance, and career goals.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:10 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,779,835 times
An employment contract in the corporate world is the same thing as temporary. That would be the polar opposite of job security. It is possible that the contract will be renewed but it's not something you can count on. On the bright side, the pay rate is higher because fewer people are willing to work somewhere where your days are numbered on day one.

I'm assuming you are referring to an individual contract, not a collective bargaining agreement. Even with a union, as the new guy, you would be first in line to be cut in the event of furloughs.

If you can handle some risk, take the corporate job since it's more money and more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment