Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 07:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,920 times

Advertisements

Does Jake describe the worst company to work for or is your company the Worst? Is being happy at work a bottom line requirement for taking a job and do you think your parents, grandparents and greatgrandparents were 'happy' at their jobs?

I highly recommend working for Quiktrip as asst store manager if:
1) You just love working 9 hour shifts without a sit down break. Sit down breaks do NOT exist for quiktrip store workers period. This is a fact.
2) You enjoy a job with absolutely zero flexability in weekly work schedules. You work the same exact hours & days every single week as asst manager including turn-around shifts (graveyard one night to 5am shift the next day) weekly. Oh and don’t forget they expect you to be at 8am meetings frequently the same day you have to work the graveyard shift!! What a great company ya!!!
On a side note one of the reasons quiktrip asst manager yearly pay looks so good on paper is you are working 6 hours of overtime weekly. It amazes me fortune magazine doesn’t take these factors into account and they simply look at what the annual pay is and give it thumbs up. Quiktrip was the worst job I ever had in my life and I voluntarily quit after several weeks. The hectic stores, no sit down breaks & weekly turn-around shifts made it completely miserable. Thankfully I have found a different job I really like but no thanks to fortune magazine!!

Posted By Jake, phoenix AZ : January 25, 2009 6:22 pm on 100 Best Companies to Work For 2009 - FORTUNE Features
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 06:08 PM

26 posts, read 111,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Does Jake describe the worst company to work for or is your company the Worst? Is being happy at work a bottom line requirement for taking a job and do you think your parents, grandparents and greatgrandparents were 'happy' at their jobs?

I highly recommend working for Quiktrip as asst store manager if:
1) You just love working 9 hour shifts without a sit down break. Sit down breaks do NOT exist for quiktrip store workers period. This is a fact.
2) You enjoy a job with absolutely zero flexability in weekly work schedules. You work the same exact hours & days every single week as asst manager including turn-around shifts (graveyard one night to 5am shift the next day) weekly. Oh and don’t forget they expect you to be at 8am meetings frequently the same day you have to work the graveyard shift!! What a great company ya!!!
On a side note one of the reasons quiktrip asst manager yearly pay looks so good on paper is you are working 6 hours of overtime weekly. It amazes me fortune magazine doesn’t take these factors into account and they simply look at what the annual pay is and give it thumbs up. Quiktrip was the worst job I ever had in my life and I voluntarily quit after several weeks. The hectic stores, no sit down breaks & weekly turn-around shifts made it completely miserable. Thankfully I have found a different job I really like but no thanks to fortune magazine!!

Posted By Jake, phoenix AZ : January 25, 2009 6:22 pm on 100 Best Companies to Work For 2009 - FORTUNE Features

A bad job for me is where the company doesn't offer either tuition reimbursement or opportunity to move up. I would hate to be a the best file clerk in the world. The ingredients for a bad job, is bad pay, so I am always broke and takes 2 hours to get there every day and you aren't allowed to talk to your co-workers, but management are allowed to chat with each other and not about work.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:46 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
My formula for an awful job goes something like this:

Bad pay + minimal benefits + no employee morale X lousy boss = Prepare resume!

Old 03-28-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
My formula for an awful job goes something like this:

Bad pay + minimal benefits + no employee morale X lousy boss = Prepare resume!

Your logic proves that one can calculate happiness...

Old 03-29-2009, 03:03 AM

99 posts, read 335,206 times
I hate people at work with bad memories. You could be doing great for close to a year and all it takes is maybe a slip or two in a month and they get on you like white on rice. and when it comes time for them to look over how you did that year, all they remember are those short time negatives that happened most recently than all the good stuff you brought on throughout the year. it's really stupid, but i see it happen all the time.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike69 View Post
I hate people at work with bad memories. You could be doing great for close to a year and all it takes is maybe a slip or two in a month and they get on you like white on rice. and when it comes time for them to look over how you did that year, all they remember are those short time negatives that happened most recently than all the good stuff you brought on throughout the year. it's really stupid, but i see it happen all the time.

/thats funny, i was thinking along the same lines yesterday. When you research how to ask for raises, promotions, the advice is to consult with your supervisor often to get continuous feedback.

I was thinking that sometimes when things go bad....you are just trying to keep your head under the radar, to avoid losing your job. And you certainly don't want to bring attention to yourself.

But, if one is to follow the general advice, then you should keep a running list of your goals and accomplishments. Then consult with your supervisor about your goals and accomplishments and your mistakes and use it as a learning opportunity.

But this all assumes that you have a supervisor that has a open door policy, easy to get feedback from, etc... and has a general supportive policy towards employees who want to get ahead. But, then again, no one promised that life would be easy...

I was thinking maybe meet with your supervisor with some sort of goal/accomplishment check sheet every three months.....But in reality, I wonder if an employer would get annoyed with you doing that year after year after year...?
good luck!

Last edited by gea12345; 03-29-2009 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
I hate jobs where they try and quantify absolutely everything you do into a chart or a matrix. Sometimes things just take longer because stuff happens - people walk up to your desk and want your help, phone calls, emails, etc. etc.

yeah - make sure you keep records of everything you do and I always insist on email communication. You can't fake an email. It is a paper trail. Cover your b*tt and you will be OK. No one can throw you under the bus then.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
You can pay people well and treat them like crap.

You can treat people well and pay them crap.

But you can't do both. That's a bad company to work for.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
A bad company is where you work for someone who doesn't pay you for your labor. You have to 'beg them' for your paycheck.

Turnover also indicates a bad company.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:18 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
My own personal worst one went like this.
I leave a company to work as an account manager/buyer with the Manager/sales person saying she wanted to train me in all the products so when she has convinced the owner to let her hire another sales person (I have sales background too) I will be ready. 3 weeks later she comes in and tells me her husband will now be working with us, as the new sales person. Huh? She was supposed to let me know when there was ever an approved sales position opening, but apparently when her husband wanted the job I was screwed. A few weeks later she tells me the owner thinks I'm making too much and they want to reduce my salary since I'm not in sales.
Needless to say for me dishonesty is my #1 can't work for this person offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment