Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:07 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

how do you go about 'freeing yourself up' if you get interviews for a full time job? Do you just call in sick? Tell them you will be in late and risk getting fired from the temp job? Deal with the temp job till the assignment runs out?

I am curious what you guys do or have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
You're a temp and you can just tell them you have a job interview. There is some expectation that temps will miss for job interviews - unless the person is a Career Temp.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:46 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times
Smile Hope this helps

I temped most of last year and a couple of years ago off and on so I can tell you that there are two types of temp work. You can temp through the agency or you can get a temp job directly through the company you will be working for. Usually the company will advertise for their own temp position(when a person is going on maternity leave or will be out for an extended period of time). I like those because they give you like 3 months of steady work and income plus you actually get to know people and network a bit. Usually the pay is much better than what you would get going through an agency plus you can apply for other positions within the company in hopes of becoming permanent. To get those you usually have to search for openings on the companies website or just send your resume to HR letting them know you are looking for temp work.

When you temp through an agency you have to call the first thing in the morning when you realize you won't be coming in. Be careful with how often you do that because they write it down and will be that less likely to use you for future assignments if you call out often. When I am looking for temp work I won't pick an assignment longer than 2 weeks or one that is temp to perm because usually they expect you to stay alot longer than you may want to and when you are planning on interviewing there is not much flexibility.

Plus keep in mind most temp jobs i.e. data entry are DULL. I have been on assignments where I literally wanted to run away screaming because I was soo bored. Just make sure you have a good recruiter and only deal with that recruiter within that agency because you want to have a good line of communication. Good Luck!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
how do you go about 'freeing yourself up' if you get interviews for a full time job? Do you just call in sick? Tell them you will be in late and risk getting fired from the temp job? Deal with the temp job till the assignment runs out?

From personal experience, you can go on interviews during lunch break or after work. Companies even interview on week-ends. If none of that is possible, then I would schedule an interview at the end of the day, but maybe leaving an hour early (at the most) saying that you have an appointment (and I would only reserve that for job opportunities that sound spectacular). I think it is important to remain as professional as possible as well as fair. The company you're interviewing with for full-time, permanent employment should know that you're working right now and that you also have a commitment to that job. That will show your professionalism. This is a game that you're playing, you have to remain in control and at the helm of the chessboard; you have to take calculated risks at best and do the best job you can for your assignment (if you're planning on staying there). I've found that it's a small world and that more often then not, life has a way of bringing you back with certain people and employers. You want to be remembered favorably because people will go the extra mile for you if you go the extra mile for them.

As far as dealings with temp agencies, I've had dealings with temp agencies in the 1980's and 1990's. They are out for themselves. Repeat: They are out for themselves and don't believe anything else. If you stay with the temp job until the assignment runs out (like they want you to), are you guaranteed that there is another LONG-TERM assignment waiting for you? Or will there be days or weeks or months without employment? Some agencies will play the game and tell you that there's no assignment available until you agree to take a lower wage per hour. That'll teach you who's boss because they're the ones in control and dispensing the jobs. Who is your advocate - yourself or the temp agency? No one is going to look out for you as well as yourself. It is up to you to take care of yourself, while also being as fair and professional to the assignment that you're doing and thereby, making a good impression for the temp agency. The most important thing for the temp agency is you making a good impression for them so that the company's human resource department keeps them as a client. Their loyalty is not to you or your welfare. Sorry for the bluntness, you might already know this. Some might not. I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I temped most of last year and a couple of years ago off and on so I can tell you that there are two types of temp work. You can temp through the agency or you can get a temp job directly through the company you will be working for. Usually the company will advertise for their own temp position(when a person is going on maternity leave or will be out for an extended period of time). I like those because they give you like 3 months of steady work and income plus you actually get to know people and network a bit. Usually the pay is much better than what you would get going through an agency plus you can apply for other positions within the company in hopes of becoming permanent. To get those you usually have to search for openings on the companies website or just send your resume to HR letting them know you are looking for temp work.

When you temp through an agency you have to call the first thing in the morning when you realize you won't be coming in. Be careful with how often you do that because they write it down and will be that less likely to use you for future assignments if you call out often. When I am looking for temp work I won't pick an assignment longer than 2 weeks or one that is temp to perm because usually they expect you to stay alot longer than you may want to and when you are planning on interviewing there is not much flexibility.

Plus keep in mind most temp jobs i.e. data entry are DULL. I have been on assignments where I literally wanted to run away screaming because I was soo bored. Just make sure you have a good recruiter and only deal with that recruiter within that agency because you want to have a good line of communication. Good Luck!!!

Excellent advice, Neekah. That has been my experience as well.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:15 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:

I found honesty worked quite well. If you have established yourself at a long term gig, just tell them or tell them you have a medical appointment. Temps have those as well, do they not? Hell, I even went to Italy for a week while I was temping.

I found a good deal of companies are convinced, perhaps with some justification, that there are some real head cases working as temps. If you distinguish yourself as a reliable one, they will do anything to keep you there so long as you are still temping.

I procured an interview, told them and they were very happy for me. They even took me to a farewell lunch- at a nice joint.

Just use diplomacy and respect. And offer to make up the lost time. If you get the job, try to give a two week notice.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:35 PM

I personally don't want to work with an agency due to what you have been saying. I am just doing 'whatever' to get a job because I need one. I am not waiting for them, believe me. The woman made a big deal last week about this job I interviewed for Monday. Sent me 5 or 6 emails last Friday about it...I agreed because it was a good organization and the woman at the agency said it was potential to be taken on.

I think they are just interviewing me for the job...you know, being sent on assignment from a place..guess again..

Okay, I go and the woman keeps me waiting 1/2 an hour. I could hear her interviewing someone else (sounded like for the same job). This woman gets introduced to the director (again I am spying from my seat--nothing else to do..) and then they leave...the woman comes to call me in. Mostly it's her talking about the department, very little about the actual job (she hands me a 2 page job description). Doesn't mention any $ (in fact the agency never did, either). I thought the interview went okay..but I find out the job ends in a few months...I want temp to perm but this is a major place so I figure I can get a foot in..

Well, I emailed the agency that afternoon and haven't heard anything. I feel so angry that 1) no figure was ever discussed and 2) they never bothered to tell me it was 'temp' not a permanent job.

I will keep doing my own thing (resumes/applying and networking & volunteering) till something breaks. I think a retail job is probably better than dealing with 'scumbags' and 'liars'--

There's a special place in h*ll for people who 'use others' like cattle.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:44 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,718 times
Quote:
I personally don't want to work with an agency due to what you have been saying. I am just doing 'whatever' to get a job because I need one. I am not waiting for them, believe me. The woman made a big deal last week about this job I interviewed for Monday. Sent me 5 or 6 emails last Friday about it...I agreed because it was a good organization and the woman at the agency said it was potential to be taken on.

I think they are just interviewing me for the job...you know, being sent on assignment from a place..guess again..

Okay, I go and the woman keeps me waiting 1/2 an hour. I could hear her interviewing someone else (sounded like for the same job). This woman gets introduced to the director (again I am spying from my seat--nothing else to do..) and then they leave...the woman comes to call me in. Mostly it's her talking about the department, very little about the actual job (she hands me a 2 page job description). Doesn't mention any $ (in fact the agency never did, either). I thought the interview went okay..but I find out the job ends in a few months...I want temp to perm but this is a major place so I figure I can get a foot in..

Well, I emailed the agency that afternoon and haven't heard anything. I feel so angry that 1) no figure was ever discussed and 2) they never bothered to tell me it was 'temp' not a permanent job.

I will keep doing my own thing (resumes/applying and networking & volunteering) till something breaks. I think a retail job is probably better than dealing with 'scumbags' and 'liars'--

There's a special place in h*ll for people who 'use others' like cattle.
Such hate from one agency? Please folks. Give it a rest. Not EVERY recruiter or salesperson out there is there to ********* over. Some of them are great people. I got lucky and found them right away.

Keep searching. Agencies are great because they distribute the load, and help you with interviewing techniques and resumes. Yeah, they take money off the top of your paycheck, but if you're out of work its time to stop being picky.

In all of my temp assignments, I never had a problem calling in sick, or taking time to go to an interview. Its a temp job. They know that.

If its temp to hire, then you only want to be interviewing if you don't feel like you're either a) going to get an offer, or b) you're going to refuse that offer.

Keep plugging away at it. In most of today's job markets, its not as easy as walking in with a resume and list of references and receiving an offer with full benefits, etc.

I only ask wage if a) Someone is actually handing me an offer and I dont see it. or b) I can be selective in the jobs I take. Aka, if its going to be worth my time at $12/hr or whatever they offer.

If you're out of work, being selective about wage isn't high on the list of priorities.

Oh, and if you haven't worked with an agency before (at least in the big cities) you tend to get a lower $ than someone who they continually work with. Stick through it, and if your performance is good and you receive good feedback, ask for a raise.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:33 AM

I'm sure there are some good agencies, but I live in a small area and we only really have 3. I believe that (as other posters have said in other threads) most are only out to get you on their books.

Funny, but not everyone with 'bad experiences' is paranoid or a weirdo or loser..some of us are good workers and intelligent people who are just trying to earn a living. If you have never had the BURDEN of not getting a good paying job then you have NO idea what it is like.

One place my husband dealt with when job searching and they said, "We have a job for you at 14 dollars per hour." He goes down to them 2 times to sort out paperwork, bring proof of being able to work, and so on. They keep him hanging a few days, then call back, saying "You need to go to X company and interview. The hourly rate is $13." He (meantime) was looking on his own, applying at other places. He tells them you said $14. The woman gets pi@@ed off and says, "I never did." He keeps getting switched back from one person to another. In the end he found his own temp job and later got a very good full time job at another place.

So, like all things, make them your tool but keep looking....

Old 03-01-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I'm sure there are some good agencies, but I live in a small area and we only really have 3. I believe that (as other posters have said in other threads) most are only out to get you on their books.

Funny, but not everyone with 'bad experiences' is paranoid or a weirdo or loser..some of us are good workers and intelligent people who are just trying to earn a living. If you have never had the BURDEN of not getting a good paying job then you have NO idea what it is like.

One place my husband dealt with when job searching and they said, "We have a job for you at 14 dollars per hour." He goes down to them 2 times to sort out paperwork, bring proof of being able to work, and so on. They keep him hanging a few days, then call back, saying "You need to go to X company and interview. The hourly rate is $13." He (meantime) was looking on his own, applying at other places. He tells them you said $14. The woman gets pi@@ed off and says, "I never did." He keeps getting switched back from one person to another. In the end he found his own temp job and later got a very good full time job at another place.

So, like all things, make them your tool but keep looking....

I went through a similiar experience as your husband. I couldn't believe the audacity of some agencies as well as their blatant lies. You almost wish that you could capture their lies on video or audio and play it back to them later. Yes, use agencies as a tool, and continue being your own agent as no one will look after you like you can. Good luck out there, Gypsysoul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment