Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:33 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
That is silly, if you actually had a valid, current address in the town where the employer is then, believe me you can say you live there and give them the address. In my book, due their retarded conditions, I wouldn't say this would be lying, just bending the truth.

If they say, what is up with your current employer being in another city/state then I would say, "that is where the HQ is" or "I telecommute, etc.", now that part would be BS but so what, if you are a qualified candidate and the employer really liked you and eventually hired you, this bit of truth could not be uncovered nor would they even bother.

After all, why would a prospective employer even come up with the condition of 'accepting local candidates only'? If you truly understand the concept behind it then the above scenario is accetable in my book though to each his own.

Before moving to my current address, I used a local friend's address on my resume/application but due to my phone number area code the employers would ask where I was physically (which is a mystery most of the time even to me) and I would tell the truth with a big BUT I am moving there on the X date so they would schedule an interview to a slightly later date and I would show up for it (which is the key thing here).

Anyhow, if you REALLY wanted a particular job, I would not let a few trivial details get in the way of getting it!
I don't believe that it's a good start to any relationship to lie, and I believe that liars almost always get caught.

It didn't matter, I was fortunate that when I sold my house in NJ I was left with many years of living expenses, so I moved to Orlando without a job. I found one after about three weeks. It seemed that once I was actually living there, the phone began ringing off the hook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 03:58 PM

39 posts, read 160,240 times
Default desparately want to relocate

I was born, raised and lived in nyc all my life (early 20s). I'm single, no kids and graduated college 2 years ago and am desparate for a change. NY has been draining me these past few months and i've visited the dc area and would like to relocate there. I've been seriously job hunting for the past 2-3 weeks and have been working with recruiters. I've gotten one call back but nothing has come of it yet. I'm willing to stay here until the end of June but i don't think i can last much longer than that (as I said, I'm absolutely miserable). Also, I live with my over-protective mother who doesn't "approve" of my relocating and basically said if i move not to come back... but that's a whole other issue.

I know that this isn't the best time to move - especially since i have a job that pays ok. And that is what keeps me going back and forth about moving without a job. I have a little over 6k in savings (about 7k if i wait til the end of June). Should i just make the jump and move without a job?

Thanks so much.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:25 PM

Default Oh yea

I don't have a local contact/family's address that i could use. Thought about a PO BOX/local cell phone but that might be weird if they ask about my "past" employer and find out i'm actually still there...

Old 05-28-2009, 05:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
There is no way I'd move with no job and only $6K in savings. Especially to a high cost of living area like DC. Up to 1/2 your savings could be depleted just in paying security and first months rent and utility deposits. Not to mention the cost of renting a truck to move your stuff.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:44 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Oh! Here's a good point. You need a "local" phone number, you can buy cell phones at Wal-Mart for $20 or less. TracFone. Activate it with the area you want to work in, then use that number as your "contact" number. Being homeless is what pushed me over the edge into getting a cell phone.
You just read my mind!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:51 PM

Well, i was planning to rent a room in a house or something to cut on expenses and don't really have much to move other than clothes, laptop and books. My friend would be driving me down with my stuff so no need for renting a truck and the like... and i plan on eating ramen noodles, nuts and raisins lol...

Old 05-28-2009, 09:20 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I saw in another thread where a guy wanted to move across the country to another city to live. He would be moving without a job. Nearly everyone suggested he get a job before he moved.

I am kind of wondering how exactly do you get a job in another city without living there? Seems like nearly every employer wants to interview you for jobs.

Any ideas?
Killer,

It depends on what type of job you are looking for and how much stuff you own and whether or not you have a house. It's different for everyone.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times
I can empathize with the OP. It's amazing how many people don't realize this isn't the 90s any more and employers will not hire from outside of their local vicinity. Many will ask you to appear the next day for an interview. If you don't comply, they become suspicious.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:14 AM

968 posts, read 2,618,795 times
This is something that is possible but has to be executed properly. I have done this on two occasions; I will mention that one of the relocations were to an area I was familiar with so it made it a bit easier. A few things will help here.

A local mailing address can help but may not always be necessary. I tried to be upfront with future employers in letting them know my intentions. I would make them feel like I already had an intention to fly/drive/travel to an area on a specific date(s) and would like to schedule an interview then. I think by being able to do this it kind of eliminates the issue of them feeling you want them to pay for anything.

I typically always have a "friend or family" in the area as to ease their concerns about the relocation process itself.

Additionally, I always share a concrete reason for the relocation that is NOT related to employment solely. So, they can see that your move is not dependent upon them saying yes or no, but already a work in progress.

All that being said....it is NOT a cheap process. Even with friends and family you will incur heavy costs and unexpected costs. Be reasonable about your time frame, your job choices, and definitely have a budget to visit the area (unless already familiar) beforehand to go "house/apt shopping".

Last edited by cityhopper; 07-15-2009 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
6 Tips for doing a long-distance job hunt | Penelope Trunk's Brazen Careerist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment