Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 03:18 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times

Advertisements

So, I am on vacation here in the DC/Baltimore area and the thought of going back to work tomorrow makes me want to puke. I have flown somewhere every month since I started this job in Jan simply because it is the only way I can deal with it. I was walking by the Baltimore Inner Harbor today and I just realized that I have reached the point of no return. I am going to start working on starting my own business like one of regulars here recommended while going to graduate school next year. I can't understand how people can deal/tolerate a stupid corporate job they hate for years without taking any or little vacation. It will be either get fired or quit in the next 4 months. I am ready to go after my dreams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 06:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Some of us enjoy our 'stupid corporate jobs' and actually look forward to going to work, and moving up the corporate ladder.

But good luck. It sounds like you will be much happier working for yourself.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:25 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I find it easier to pack up and move. Vacations leave such a depressing aftertaste. 25 years - 15 moves and all but two relocation.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
I've only hated one of my stupid corporate jobs, and wound up leaving after about 8 months for my current job, which isn't bad. Sure, the corporate culture is not for everyone and I like and it pays my bills and supports my family.

However, I had friends that are like yourself and hate this world and would much rather work for themselves. Good luck with your plans and hope it works out for you.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 PM

175 posts, read 600,253 times
Repubocrat, may I ask, what kind of work do you do that you are unhappy with? Also, what kind of business are you thinking about opening up? Good luck on your endeavors.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:20 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
Repubocrat - As a Baltimore native who loves this area, I am glad to see you're enjoying your vacation. Since you seem to do a lot of traveling I guess you have seen lots of different places. Have you decided where you are going to settle? Or are you staying put in Minneapolis for now?

Old 06-23-2009, 03:08 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
If your ruining your vacation with anxiety about returning to work once your trip is over, then I'd say it is time to find a new line of work! What you are doing is obviously not a good fit!

Best of luck on your business plans!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Repubocrat, your rants and moans and complaints about your corporate bosses, the corporate workplace and the majority of personnel in your workplace who you view as asinine peons are well documented in your posts and threads. I for one am delighted that you have decided to go out on your own into the private sector along with going to graduate school, and wish you all the best of luck on both graduate school AND private sector business.

Once you leave your current employer (whether you're either fired or simply quit) I hope you'll follow through with reporting to the proper authorities the information which you have noted in previous posts related to your current employer.

According to your previous posts and threads, your current employer is a banking facility which is defying FDIC regs amongst other transgressions, so now would be the perfect time to "out" that banking institution! Hey, you might even get some bucks in a settlement if you can prove your case.

Cheers! Assumed "smack" here!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:01 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
..... I am ready to go after my dreams
Happy for you! Here are 2 grrrrrrrrrrreat books you need to read as soon as possible to get started on your journey:

1. "Escape From Cubicle Nation" by Pamela Slim

2. "The Big Idea" by Donny Deutsh. I think he also hosts a show on CNBC but I am not sure since I don't have cable.

Good Luck!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
If your ruining your vacation with anxiety about returning to work once your trip is over, then I'd say it is time to find a new line of work! What you are doing is obviously not a good fit!

Best of luck on your business plans!
Sometimes it's the people or environment, not the actual work. I love my work, truly. However, there are days I have the urge to leave because the working environment isn't good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment