Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 PM

54 posts, read 162,834 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for an accounting job. The interview went well however, they said the last person left abruptly after four years to be a "stay at home mom." We interviewed in their conference room which had dark blue almost black depressing walls. I asked where my office would be and they said in this room the "conference room" in a corner with no windows or proper lighting... The desk was there with a printer and file cabinet etc.,

At the close of the interview they asked for my references. Should I give them references and accept this job if offered? I also hate the location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 05:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,705,090 times
That's very odd. I would have asked what happens when meetings need to occur that you're not involved in?

Do you sit there in the corner and do your work like you're invisible?

Did it seem like they were short on space?

Old 10-31-2011, 06:07 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,394,876 times
I would ask if that was a permanent solution, or just a temporary thing? If they plan on moving you soon, and if the other offices have light and air and are pleasant, that's one thing. But if they plan to leave you there, and if it's that depressing and dark? I don't know...

Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,235,487 times
That seems very odd. Did they say why it was in the conference room and not somewhere else?

Old 10-31-2011, 06:33 PM

They sounded pretty serious about the conference room being part my office space. Nor did I ask if it was temporary. Should I have even asked where my office cubicle or office would be, in the first place? The staff had only 16 people. The whole office space appeared to be all on in one open space like a 7-eleven. But, with some offices. I guess in meetings that I was not involved in, I would have to disappear to the bathroom, lol! I don't think I will forward them my references. First impressions, are always important! Does anyone agree?

Old 10-31-2011, 06:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,705,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free106 View Post
They sounded pretty serious about the conference room being part my office space. Nor did I ask if it was temporary. Should I have even asked where my office cubicle or office would be, in the first place? The staff had only 16 people. The whole office space appeared to be all on in one open space like a 7-eleven. But, with some offices. I guess in meetings that I was not involved in, I would have to disappear to the bathroom, lol! I don't think I will forward them my references. First impressions, are always important! Does anyone agree?
It sounds like you asked because of the way the whole office was set up, nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't want to sit in a conference all day either.

You might want to ask about the situation, you could show concern about the poor lighting(no sense damaging your eyesight) and ask "what happens when the room is needed for meetings?" and see what they say.

And also find out is this temporary, did the woman who left after 4 years sit there the whole time.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:56 PM

I feel like I should wait until I am offered the job before, I ask if my office will permanantly be in the conference room. I have NEVER seen that kind of setup in other jobs that I have worked. I have worked in some pretty outdated decorated places but, nothing like this. I think it is pure inconsideration of the person who either had the job(which could be part of the reason they bolted) or the person who will get this job.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:23 PM

21,948 posts, read 25,322,586 times
Would I? No. I'm done working in an office. Now I get work in offices all over, usually conference rooms but sometimes very odd places, and out of whatever coffee shop or park I feel like for the behind the scenes stuff. Would I if I were you? Who knows. I'd rather have a job I didn't particularly care for than no job at all if I needed the money.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Would I? No. I'm done working in an office. Now I get work in offices all over, usually conference rooms but sometimes very odd places, and out of whatever coffee shop or park I feel like for the behind the scenes stuff. Would I if I were you? Who knows. I'd rather have a job I didn't particularly care for than no job at all if I needed the money.
I do need a job but, the last job I had I had the worst office in the whole place. All my co-workers knew it and mocked me about it. It was awful.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,235,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free106 View Post
I don't think I will forward them my references.
Use common courtesy and inform them you are withdrawing your name for consideration if that is what you are going to do. You never know when another opportunity might come up again with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment