Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:36 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. If I tutor again, I am going to do it in a public venue so 1) eliminates the nutjob factor, 2) more professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:09 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,986 times
Default Answers...

No, it takes me 2 1/2 hours to clean it. (I don't move funiture or wash windows, so that saves me time). I make it very clear from the start, in writing, what I will and will not do...and what they want done.

I don't give people a chance to "stiff" me. When I walk in the money better be on the table (most people are gone while I clean). If they are home, they will usually have the money laying out when I get there.

I also don't clean anyone's house that is farther away than a 15-20 minute drive.

Once I did have to leave in the middle of a cleaning due to a family emergency (of theirs) and they did give me some compensation for my time. Although, I did not think it was enough, I am a nice enough person so I didn't really say anything.

If I walk in and the money isn't there, I don't clean. That is what I tell everyone up front.

If they ae not satisfied with my job, I want to know and I will work something out with them next time or I will come back later that day to "fix it" for free.

I have never had a problem with that. Usually people will stay around the first couple of times I clean until they feel comfortable leaving me alone. However, building up my references and word-of-mouth reputation has helped tremendously. Mostly I clean for a friend of a friend of a friend....and they know I am honest and reliable.

The things I have problems with are people who I can never seem to reacn on the phone, either to reschedule or report a problem.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:12 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
Ok, well, you've given me a little more details to work on rather than picking numbers out of the air. So 2.5 hours, with .5 drive each way, that makes 3.5, so with a little averaging, you probably spend at least 4 hours on this house and expect to make $20 per hour from the time you leave your home base to the time you return. If it takes you 2o minutes to get there, then that means its say 15 miles, so that is wear and tear worth, 15 miles x $0.505 = $7.60 each way, so, about $15.25, roughly. So, take the $80, deduct the $15.25 your labor is, $64.75 divided by that 4 hours $16.88 per hour. You sat and waited for 1/2 an hour, then drove off, and came back, so that cost you, your per hour earnings keeps going down and down for every minute you spend on people that make you wait.
Unless you get travel cost, gas money to get to these people's houses, then you are losing more money when you have to go back. At the very least, you need to stipulate that you have a $10 return gas charge. Gas prices are going back up, and will be above $3 real soon, so you might as well be prepared. People will take advantage of you. If nothing else, tell people you are doing your thing to keep it "green" so as not to overpollute. If they are going to make you drive more, then they will have to pay more. Always tell people about a previous client that made you come back twice when you stipulate the policy. They will tell you, Oh, I would never do that!. But, it's on the table before it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment