Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 06:24 PM

173 posts, read 968,174 times

Advertisements

I was reviewing this gentleman's resume.
He was 30 years at the same company.
He had 5 promotions during the time he was with that company.
He's been unemployed for 1 year and 7 months, going on 1 year and 8 months, with no hope in sight!
He has no degree and I think he had a few college credits from the 1970's.
He actually hated working for the same company for the last 11 or so years of his working life, but he was too scared to move on to a new company.

His situation is sad and unnerving at the same time.

Is the new promotion outwards and upwards at the same time?
I guess it looks better to be a job hopper in the 21st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
He's already very lucky... Worked for 30 years straight, and I never had a job last more than 13 months. I wish I had a good paying job that lasted 5 years. Never got promoted either...

He should still have a lot of savings...

Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
He would be more marketable had he bounced around a bit. You pick up different skills at different jobs.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Boy, that's really a sad story. I hope he lands on his feet soon.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:47 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
That is sad. People think, well, I am stable, I have been at XYZ company for 30 years so I am 'useful' but really, you can never get comfortable.

Where my husband used to work, they went through this big shake up right before he was hired. They 'cleared out' everyone making over a certain amount of money and anyone there over a certain amount of years (to save $).

My husband's boss was on the block. They brought in my husband and with in a few years, the boss was chopped and my husband got the job (without the title, just all the work).

Yes, this is the sad reality. Job jumping is bad, staying too long is bad...who knows..

Old 07-25-2009, 08:25 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
Here are my perspectives.

Unless you are *really* going up the ladder at a company, more than 5 years doing the same type of work (or same level), is an indicator that you should maybe move on to a new company.

Granted this isnt the same for everyone. Some people are content doing the same type of job and not everyone wants to move up the corporate ladder. We have people in my work group who have been doing the same data processing (lower level transactions) for 10+ years. However, these people are very vulnerable because their skills haven't really improved (i.e. not a lot of gaining new experiences maybe refining what they already had when starting the job) and their jobs are costly-- their jobs are the type that companies would prefer to pay entry level people to do or offshore to a low cost data processing center overseas.

I plan to stay at my company longer than 5 years. But take into consideration my experience. I was hired almost 4 years ago. Since my hire date into a relatively lower level position, I have 5 times. Each role had more responsibility than the next. I already know that I will have a new role very soon in the next 3-6 months based on my involvement on a current project. FYI these promotions (all except one) I have never applied for they have been awarded to me by management.

Now on the other hand, if I were still doing the type of job I had during my first year at the company, I would have left within 1-2 years. Because it would have been an indicator to me that my goals were not aligned with the goals the company had for me. I spent 4 years at a previous company where I just moved laterally and could never break through to a new level. I realized I had wasted my time and that the company for whatever reason was never going to allow me to stretch my wings a litte.

Since that experience, I have told myself I will try a job for a year (this may be longer due to the current economy). In a year, I should have some indication of whether or not I am a good fit for the company, if I have learned new skills, new experiences, etc. If not-- then I am out. No more wasting time. I did not want to be like the people who I worked with at a previous company (Cable provider) where the employees had been there 19-30 years with no increasing promotions and were stuck because other employers thought these employees were too stale and not well rounded enough for a new opportunity.

The 30 year tenure at a company is a thing of history. You HAVE to keep broadening and expanding your skills and experiences. It is why I continuously continue my formal education because I think it is INTEGRAL to do so in order to remain relevant as well as to have that one extra thing that diffrentiates me from another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment