Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 04:13 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to take a temp job out of our area for six months. I have two teens in school and am trying to determine if I can leave them with my mother (78) and rely on her and my adult son to take care of them while I am gone. My home is a few doors from my mom's and I would ask my adult son to move into my place.

I think that to disrupt the kids now for a temporary move would be bad. They are well-adjusted, have nice friends and are very involved in school. Not a boat that I want to rock with teens.

Has anyone done this using extended family as support? The good, the bad and the ugly of it?

I really need to do this- for financial reasons, to be sure, but also to get out of the house and do something productive. I've had one job to apply for the past two months and it was commission only. This company has been posting the job for a year now, so I don't think it's the best place to work. I didn't get called for an interview.

Once I have the details and figure out how to make it work, I will approach my mom. But I wanted to run this up the CD flag pole to see how it has worked for others before I walk over and have the talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 04:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
With your mom and son in place, it should work. If they snow mom, your son should figure it out and vice versa.

I think it's a good lesson for kids to learn. Sometimes you have to make difficult choices to make it financially.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:25 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,453,425 times
I say go for it. I am not a parent, but kids need to understand these are tough times too. Good luck if you choose to pursue this opportunity. I would like a six month job myself.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:28 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
Teens may try to push it but if you explain you don't want to uproot them from the friends and their lives, they may cooperate.

Can your mom control them? Do they respect her? (not sassy or rude to her).

Good luck with your job.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM

The most I can see them getting away with is going to bed too late and watching Family Guy (which I prohibit). I know they will get some homework notices, as my family won't stay on them, but that might not be a bad thing in the long run.

They have never been sassy or rude to my mom. They reserve that for me- LOL!

All I could think about before I posted this thread were the reasons that it won't work. Now I'm beginning to get a little excited.

Thanks for the input!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
It sounds like you've got good kids and there would be adequate adult supervision. Would you be able to come home on weekends at all? That would be my biggest concern, that your kids would really miss you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:19 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Is your mother's health good enough that she can handle day-to-day responsibility? Can your son leave his current living situation to move in to your house? Are they available for the hours needed to cook and chauffeur and do laundry and all the things that you would normally do? How far away will you be and will you be making periodic visits?

Old 11-30-2009, 05:24 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,453,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Is your mother's health good enough that she can handle day-to-day responsibility? Can your son leave his current living situation to move in to your house? Are they available for the hours needed to cook and chauffeur and do laundry and all the things that you would normally do? How far away will you be and will you be making periodic visits?
My father's mother died when he was nine. He was left with cooking responsibilities and he was one of nine children. Of course, he is a Great Depression baby.

I think in these tough times kids should step up to the plate and do their own cooking and laundry.

Granted, not a parent here, but I think as a boomer, children have been tended to too much. We're in tough times.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:34 PM

Kids already do their own laundry, clean the kitchen, their bathroom, take out the trash and take care of the pets. They can prepare simple meals, but my mom likes to cook and I think would like having them around to cook for them.

My mom is a self-induced recluse and rarely goes out except to the grocery store. I figure that it will help her get out a bit having them to take to the carpool, etc. Since I'm raising my son's child, he shouldn't have any problem with it. His girlfriend might, but he will just have to man up and be there for us. Our place is much bigger/nicer than theirs and I would stay at my mom's when I come home weekends so that they can feel like it is their place.

I'd be home or they could come down to visit me every other weekend. Or, since I will have an INCOME.....maybe we could meet at Disney one weekend.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:46 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
Would your adult son have to have some kind of legal guardanship of the minor children? Are you going to send them money? Can you afford to maintain two households?

I would not leave my son with a reclusive grandmother and a non-custodial bio-dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment