Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:34 PM

5 posts, read 28,448 times

Advertisements

I am a soon to be father of 3 (one 3 year old and twins on the way). Financially and morally, it makes more sense for me to quit my current job to stay home and raise my children. Does anyone know of reputable work from home jobs? I've worked with Health Insurance for about 5 years. I'm willing to do just about anything (except Sales) though as long as the hours are EXTREMELY flexible. Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:04 PM

247 posts, read 998,424 times
Is it possible that your present employer will let you work from home? That's where I would start first.

My former employer let me work from home once I started a family.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:08 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,633,436 times
OKay. Legit work at home jobs can be difficult to find. There are MANY MANY MANY scams out there, so be extremely careful. Never pay any type of fee whatsoever to work for anyone no matter how well they try to explain such a fee. Use the Better Business Bureau website www.bbb.org and www.ripoffreport.com as a starting point in your research. Maybe someone else on here knows a little more than I do in regards to legit work at home jobs. Best of luck to you. Congrats on the twins!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 28,448 times
tippster - Yeah, my employer shot down a couple of proposals to work from home. I do have a few other strings I may be able to pull, but I think this situation may be a blessing in disguise. The whole company seems to be on the downhill slide. I have been there 3 years and can only think of a hand full of people that still enjoy working there.

Steve - Thanks for the advise. I'm definitely going to steer clear of the start-up fees and things of that nature. They just look shady. It looks like I may have to end up doing some sort of data entry which honestly sucks because I have all of this now useless knowledge of medical insurance claims. If anyone needs to know if their insurance carriers have coordinated benefits correctly...give me a call...LOLOL

Old 09-26-2008, 01:47 PM

215 posts, read 713,110 times
Someone told me that Aetna has work at home positions. I heard that you have to work at the office for the first 90 days, then they allow you to work from home.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:17 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,269,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarciaInTN View Post
tippster - Yeah, my employer shot down a couple of proposals to work from home. I do have a few other strings I may be able to pull, but I think this situation may be a blessing in disguise. The whole company seems to be on the downhill slide. I have been there 3 years and can only think of a hand full of people that still enjoy working there.

Steve - Thanks for the advise. I'm definitely going to steer clear of the start-up fees and things of that nature. They just look shady. It looks like I may have to end up doing some sort of data entry which honestly sucks because I have all of this now useless knowledge of medical insurance claims. If anyone needs to know if their insurance carriers have coordinated benefits correctly...give me a call...LOLOL
Is your employer who shot down the idea a mid-level manager whose only real use in the operation is pushing people and paper around?

I'd honestly spend some time creating a short but detailed proposal and go above his head to the regional management or the top executive himself. Don't make the proposal exclusively about you, but as sort of a proposal for an entirely new way of doing business for the company. Say that you'd like to be the trial case before they expand it. Be sure you mention the advantages for the company.

If you're planning on quitting anyway, don't hesitate to pull some punches and go over your boss' head.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:49 PM

353 posts, read 906,316 times
You can do medical record retrievals from home, but the hours are not flexible (M-F 9-5), and the pay leaves something to be desired.

Search for jobs that allow for "telecommuting" not "work at home" if you want to avoid scams. If all else fails start your own business but that's not for everyone, especially if you just want a j*b.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:33 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,476,826 times
You'll need a babysitter, too, as it's impossible to take care of 3 little ones and work at the same time.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 10,974 times
I am a single mother looking for work at home. I am a fast learner and a hard worker. I have experience in healthcare insurance, collections, data entry and customer service. My achievements are customer satisfaction and going above and beyond. My goals are to meet company policies and procedures. I have also received letters from customers stating that i have gone above and beyond for customer satisfaction and i was an asset. I would also like to start immediately.

Last edited by mesprakn; 12-11-2008 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: want to work as soon as possible

Old 12-11-2008, 07:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,083,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
You'll need a babysitter, too, as it's impossible to take care of 3 little ones and work at the same time.
I agree with this. I work from home, and I treat it just like I would if I were in an office. I don't allow friends to ask me for a ton of favors "because I'm home all day." A neighbor asking if I'd accept a Fed Ex delivery--sure, that's maybe a minute out of my day. But generally speaking if I couldn't help them out while working in an office, I can't help them out by working at home. Taking care of children would be the same thing. There is no way you could do that and perform your job duties in a satisfactory manner.

Have you considered working nights as a supervisor in a claims center? I'm assuming your wife will be returning to work during the day? If not, then in this day and age, there's no way I'd quit a good job so both parents can be home with the kids all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment