Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Women always marry up.
Tight butts get rich husbands.

A man will marry the best looking woman he can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Unfortunately, there are so many college degrees out there, you have to get one just to get your resume looked at. Because everyone you are competing with has one too.
Get a bachelors no matter what. At the very least you have to have some kind of post-highschool certificate or training.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 PM

Who is more employable?

A guy with a PhD in History (or Sociology or English), 3.8 GPA from an Ivy League School?

or

A guy with a BS in Electrical Engineering, 2.9 GPA, from a state school?

Which guy has the higher student debt?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 PM

64 posts, read 208,886 times
Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:00 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
I think a more accurate report would be "an abundance of college graduates with worthless degrees". There are less and less math and science grads but more and more social work and english degrees. The sad part is it takes just as much money to get either degree yet people go for the one that pays peanuts.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticHomeland View Post
Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Or when Richard K. Nixon exclaimed "Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you."?

Old 12-16-2009, 09:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
"Cognitive skills and self direction" were mentioned in the article.......Hmmmm.....

Anyway....being entrenched in the manufacturing industry for 25+ years, along with a B.Sc......

Fairly basic prerequisites for my field.

I s'pose just getting a business degree with a finance major prob'ly won't cut it any more.

I knew quite a few "kids" that worked at Rite-Aid, Jiffy Lube, etc. straight out of college. My best friend graduated with a chemical engineering degree and sold vacuum cleaners door to door for a while.

If the only work experience that you have coming out of college is flippin' burgers.....well, don't expect much. That's a glittering generalization though, as some of the youngsters are quite sharp and can pick up a good gig.

Go to college, study what you love.
The key is using the time in college wisely by doing internships so you can have a leg on the competition. Employers want to see work experience and burger flipper isn't too marketable.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Or when Richard K. Nixon exclaimed "Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you."?
Wasn't that JFK?

Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Unfortunately, there are so many college degrees out there, you have to get one just to get your resume looked at. Because everyone you are competing with has one too.
Get a bachelors no matter what. At the very least you have to have some kind of post-highschool certificate or training.
I agree. I was not even looked at seriously in the job market until I obtained my bachelors degree. I do agree that it helps tremedously if the bachelors is actually in something that is marketable versus sociology. Internships are a must as well.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 PM

55 posts, read 179,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Who is more employable?

A guy with a PhD in History (or Sociology or English), 3.8 GPA from an Ivy League School?

or

A guy with a BS in Electrical Engineering, 2.9 GPA, from a state school?
The Engineer would be my guess. A PhD in History/Sociology/English could pretty much only get a job in teaching at a college. A PhD would probably restrict him to these jobs much more than an Engineer would be restricted to only Engineering jobs.

Bottom line is that more people would consider a PhD "overqualified" than would consider somebody with a B.Sc likewise "overqualified." That to me means more employable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment