Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 10:24 PM

12 posts, read 37,387 times

Advertisements

So I work at this store in customer service department, and i see that the supervisors have favorites (mostly a gender thing, most of our department is 80% one gender)

so at first I respected everyone but after I see the supervisors unethical behavior in being unequal and playing favorites, they lose my respect thus I ignore them and don't do as I am told which of course leads to disciplinary actions with the boss

When I have a little free time and stand there for a bit they are on my case about not helping customers, but then later when I turn around the supervisor talks to their 'favorite' co-workers and does not discipline them on not assisting the customers, basically being a hypocrite (perhaps even abusing their power)

Any suggestions, comments? btw I am new to the forum nice to meet u all

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 PM

123 posts, read 321,263 times
Hone your resume' and find another workplace. Go to prospective workplaces and observe their interactions before you apply. Start a business of your own (find a public need and fill it).

Otherwise you can do nothing but do your job and mostly theirs too untill you get another position.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
If you absolutely cannot find a way to get along with your boss, you'll probably have to start looking for a new job. But just remember there are far more bad bosses in this world than good ones. You are going to have to learn to get along with bosses (and coworkers) that you don't like sooner or later.

Don't worry yourself over respect for or liking your coworkers. This isn't a popularity contest. Focus on dealing with your boss. Take a disinterested high-level approach, think of this as all a game and you've figured out your boss' strategy. You are on your way to beating them at their own game. Most definitely you should not sabotage your own job/career because you dislike someone else!

You may also, from that high-level vantage point, take some time to observe the interactions between your boss and your coworkers. I'd bet their good rapport comes down to two things: your coworkers have that special knack for flattering your boss (without going overboard), or they make the boss feel comfortable. It is probably not merely their gender that gives your coworkers an edge. Once you figure out what the root cause is, you can work on mastering those tricks yourself.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,148 times
alwaysleepy, favortism is a definite problem at my company! I do customer service too. Examples including telecommuting for some, but not others (it's not even black and white like full vs part timers, there are other reasons.) Then there are things like double standards - one CSR may be held to high standards in terms of quality, while another one can keep being careless, but they get the pass by the boss, even when the evidence is presented to management.

In your case, you can point out to the boss that although your calls are done faster, you have exceptionally low handle time and higher volume than your colleagues - they should like that, seeing as in CS it's all about metrics (quantity over quality in most call centers).

Try not to ignore supervisors' directives though - but do try to ask them to establish a quality control mechanism , so that everyone can be scored on the same standards. You don't want supervisors to think you're slacking off or difficult to manage, even though you know in your heart you can do just fine without their intervention. That's one thing I'm finally learning...is to be more cooperative with the bosses, instead of competitive. In my case, it's probably too late.. the damage is done, and there's no room for advancement. But then again, I can say management has their head in the sand. At the end of the day, once you've done all you can do, it's time to either live with the conditions or move on. But before moving on, keep your current job - don't just quit with nothing in reserve.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 AM

12 posts, read 37,387 times
thank you i appreciate the feedback, when you, Kodaka, say that I should play my boss's game and stuff I completely agree however Im the kind of person who doesn't like to fake their emotions (maybe thats why I get into trouble)

I dislike being fake/acting just so I can get on good terms with them when I know that they are not doing the correct thing that which the company stated for all employees

=/

Old 02-23-2010, 07:02 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
Unfortunately, favoritism exists in every company. In some places, it's more blatant than others.

OP-I'm guessing your boss is a male and his "favorites" are young girls?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Unfortunately, favoritism exists in every company. In some places, it's more blatant than others.

OP-I'm guessing your boss is a male and his "favorites" are young girls?
That's exactly what's going on at my boyfriends workplace. The floor supervisor fires good people and keeps on people who are slow and incompetant.....just because they're 'cute college girls'.

The last time this happened was 2 weeks ago, when he fired two people (one of which is a fellow supervisor, which he had NO authority to fire) and now they're suing. They found a lawyer last week. BUT, he kept on two completely inept girls just because they made out with each other at a party the floor supervisor held.... it's ridiculous.

They've already had 4 former emplolyees contact them about joining them on their case, and it's only been a week! It should be interesting....

Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Quote:
I dislike being fake/acting just so I can get on good terms with them when I know that they are not doing the correct thing that which the company stated for all employees
I dislike it too, but its office (or workplace) politics. You can play it or you can decide not to and accept the consequences.

You don't have to go so far as to flatter and butter up your boss. But getting yourself into trouble because you don't like what a coworker is doing is just stupid. Stop being a masochist.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysleepy View Post
...they lose my respect thus I ignore them and don't do as I am told which of course leads to disciplinary actions with the boss
Just because you don't agree with what's going on in the workplace, doesn't mean you should get yourself in trouble. You are putting yourself in a bad position which could potentially get yourself fired. You have your reasons for disobeying, but your boss/coworkers don't know this; from their point of view it looks like you're just a pissy worker.

I wouldn't consider bringing this up or fighting it, it's just too messy. Things will just escalate and cause an uncomfortable stink in the workplace. The work environment will be worse off than before.

Now, it's up to you whether you decide to play the workplace politics game. Obviously you don't, therefore my advice is to just deal with what's going on with neutral behavior. You don't have to do any ass kissing, but just do your work and do it well. Stay out of trouble and keep your feelings in check. If you can't or you don't want to do this, then there's nothing else but to look for another job.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Sounds like life as usual to me and it's never fair. The only thing you can do is just admit it exists and get on with it. Your only real alternative is to seek work elsewhere. You can't change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment