Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,616 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what you guys think about Supply Chain Management/Logistics. I'm currently working in supply chain operations at a large telecom company and I'm torn whether or not to pursue this as a career. My true passion is in IT (along the lines of DBA or Network/Systems Admin.), but I already have about two years of experience in logistics. I feel like it'd be easier to stick with Supply Chain than jump to into IT (which seems like an extremely competitive field).

I'd like to pursue either an MBA or an MS in Computer Science. If I went the MBA route, I could go for an emphasis in either Information Systems or Supply Chain Management. My company would probably pay for a sizeable chunk of the Supply Chain Management degree, but I'm not sure about the Computer Science degree.

Are any of you guys in logistics/supply chain management? Have you been in this field for awhile? Is it a stable/growing field? Are there decent paying jobs available as you get more experience or do salaries seem to top out at a certain point? What are some good qualifications/certs (aside from an MBA) that will make me marketable in this field?

I'm just curious whether I should stick with this field because of how potentially secure it is, or throw caution to the wind and follow my passion in IT.

Thanks for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,919,279 times
I've worked in the supply chain field and I think it's a good career and stable. However, I'm in favor of people following their passion when it's feasible to do so. If you're willing to put in the effort and energy required for the IT path - go for it. You'll be much happier in the long run. The good news is you can always fall back on the supply chain/logistics career if you can't find a position in IT. Your risk is spending money and time towards something thing that may not net you the carreer you wanted, but the reward is worth it if you can.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:57 AM

Sadly, following my passion scares me a little bit. According to several people in the IT field, it is extremely difficult to break into due to the massive offshoring of these jobs. Though I believe I'd be happier in this field, I feel like I'd be more stressed out over keeping my job or not being able to find one after I hit 45.

I don't necessarily dislike supply chain management, it's just that my interest in it is minimal. I don't feel like reading logistics' journals in my spare time. I'd much rather go spend it reading about the latest technologies or buidling a computer from scratch.

Part of me says to keep the stable career in supply chain management and pursue IT as a hobby. The other part says follow my passions. I'm just fearful that that following my passions could potentially leave me unemployed or working some menial support desk job.

It'd be great if I could somehow merge these two fields together. Any ideas?

Old 04-15-2010, 02:09 PM

20 posts, read 94,403 times
I can relate to this on many levels. I'm currently doing work along the lines of a SQL programmer and I'm desperately trying to get myself out of this position and into something that makes me happier and actually involves field work.

Dealing with offshoring is one thing, but the opposite situation seems true with my workplace - filled with folks here on visas that were formerly offshore workers. Currently working on a short certificate program to help me make the change.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMailbox View Post
I can relate to this on many levels. I'm currently doing work along the lines of a SQL programmer and I'm desperately trying to get myself out of this position and into something that makes me happier and actually involves field work.

Dealing with offshoring is one thing, but the opposite situation seems true with my workplace - filled with folks here on visas that were formerly offshore workers. Currently working on a short certificate program to help me make the change.
So would your suggestion be to stay with the supply chain management field and pursue IT as a hobby?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:22 PM

20 posts, read 94,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
So would your suggestion be to stay with the supply chain management field and pursue IT as a hobby?
Start out small with IT if you can. A former supervisor has went from IT to your current field and he seems to love the change and extra freedom.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:21 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,123 times
Supply chain is definitely a "hot" field right now. The problem with it is once you fix all the big problems and are in "maintenance" mode people start wondering what you are doing. And you are expected to get 5-10% savings on the same products year after year after year. Get it for free, but good quality and service please.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:01 AM

56 posts, read 179,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Sadly, following my passion scares me a little bit. According to several people in the IT field, it is extremely difficult to break into due to the massive offshoring of these jobs. Though I believe I'd be happier in this field, I feel like I'd be more stressed out over keeping my job or not being able to find one after I hit 45.

I don't necessarily dislike supply chain management, it's just that my interest in it is minimal. I don't feel like reading logistics' journals in my spare time. I'd much rather go spend it reading about the latest technologies or buidling a computer from scratch.

Part of me says to keep the stable career in supply chain management and pursue IT as a hobby. The other part says follow my passions. I'm just fearful that that following my passions could potentially leave me unemployed or working some menial support desk job.

It'd be great if I could somehow merge these two fields together. Any ideas?
You could always work for SAP America. They have Supply Chain Management functional analysis AND Basis (Basis is Systems side of things). If you understood both - you can make $$$$$$$. For these types of workers outsourcing is not a problem. Although, for these types of workers, travel and consulting is likely.

Thoughts of SCM or Tech aside - my general advice is to follow your heart and passion - do not follow your pocketbook. Follow your heart, the pocketbook will follow. If you really like building computers from scratch in your spare time - you already know what your passion and interests are. Follow that.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
I've worked in the Supply Chain area before as a Purchasing Assistant and as a Materials Coordinator for a Materials Department. The Supervisor/Director of the Materials Department was both a CPM and a CPIM. I have taken a few classes in Purchasing and Logistics, but at almost 61 yrs. old, get certifications for Supply Chain Management (which is shown below), would be just too costly for wife/I. However, I do love working in Purchasing/Inventory Mangement which is also known as Logistics and Supply Chain.

This comes from an article on a Supply Chain Management website.
Certifications in Supply Chain Management encompass the skill sets required to perform as a Supply Chain Professional. Click each of the Certifications or Continuing Education Programs below to view the concepts and subject matter covered:

Certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM)

Certified Purchasing Manager (C.P.M.)

Certified in Integrated Resources Management (CIRM)

Quality Sciences (CE)

Logistics / Transportation (CE)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment