Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:55 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times

Advertisements

Job seeker, 21, with 3 A-levels and 10 GCSEs, kills herself after she was rejected for 200 jobs

Quote:
Her mother, who is disabled, said her daughter was applying for a dozen jobs a week, including shop work, waitressing and as a school dinner lady.

Vicky's father said she had become depressed about her lack of success in the job market and had become disillusioned in the weeks before her death about her poor prospects.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267953/Job-seeker-Vicky-Harrison-commits-suicide-rejected-200-jobs.html#ixzz0lrPINwK3

This is a social problem. Those of you reading who are employed, please do all you can to help those around you who are looking for work. No, I don't mean just "buy a turkey for the homeless"--I mean help people, in practical ways, to find jobs. Network on their behalf, encourage them, let them know they are not alone, keep your eyes open for job leads, put in a good word for them with gatekeepers if you can even if it means going out on a limb and cashing in a few of your points in the corporate "favor bank" that you would prefer to keep for your own personal benefit.

Instead of allowing your own success at work make you more arrogant and self-satisfied, let it make you more humble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 01:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
This case wasn't a social problem. It was more likely a mental illness problem. Healthy people don't kill themselves because they can't find a job.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Default This comment reminded me of some of the posts I see at this forum....

Quote:
I have just got a job today starting tomorrow, after 12 months of trying, I have seen people in my situation labelled benefit scroungers, layabouts, workshy etc on these threads, and this death is tragic, bear in mind all you puffed up self important people out there who are ever ready to critisise and sneer at the jobless, there but for the grace of God go you.
Quote:
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267953/Job-seeker-Vicky-Harrison-commits-suicide-rejected-200-jobs.html#ixzz0lrRepsf4

Old 04-22-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This case wasn't a social problem. It was more likely a mental illness problem. Healthy people don't kill themselves because they can't find a job.
Even the "healthiest" individual can be pushed over the edge by life circumstances. If you haven't learned this yet, consider yourself very lucky--and very sheltered.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:02 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,051 times
That is terribly sad. It makes me wonder if something else was at play here, though. She had options and supports. It's always sad to see someone with their whole lives ahead of them to something like that to themselves.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Your children are quite young now Charles. You have no idea what the future holds for any of them.

You should take the time to read this story and the comments. It may give you reason to pause.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Unemployment Does Not “Cause” Suicide

Unemployment is one of many factors that contribute to suicide risk. Although unemployment is associated with increased rates of suicide, other common contributing factors can coincide with unemployment like mental health problems (for example, body dysmorphic disorder) and substance abuse.

Researchers from the Wellington School of Medicine reported that suicide linked to unemployment (in their overview of the population versus suicide) was just 6%, and mental illness is a factor in around half of all suicides. Suicide risk factors are not clear cut; it’s important to evaluate the entire individual – not just assume that because someone is unemployed they will commit suicide. Consider all the contributing suicide risk factors.

from

Unemployment Can Triple the Risk of Suicide: A Bad Economy Increases the Number of Suicides

One other note, job loss is a major depressor for men, and that can lead them to depression and in extreme cases to suicide. Men are four times more likely to succeed with suicide.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
That is terribly sad. It makes me wonder if something else was at play here, though. She had options and supports. It's always sad to see someone with their whole lives ahead of them to something like that to themselves.
The story is very clear. She clearly did not feel she had options. She applied for "more than 200 jobs over two years." Her father stated "she had a lot to give and was very determined. She was just ground down following one knock back after another." She was proud, and wanted to support herself, not live off benefits or her parents. This is understandable.

As a parent myself, I can only imagine watching a child apply for over 200 jobs and suffer rejection after rejection after rejection. I can easily see how this type of experience could fill a once happy, optimistic, well-adjusted child with feelings of failure and self-hatred, especially if they watched their peers move forward with success.

My heart breaks for this family and this beautiful young woman. RIP, dear angel.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Unemployment Does Not “Cause” Suicide

Unemployment is one of many factors that contribute to suicide risk. Although unemployment is associated with increased rates of suicide, other common contributing factors can coincide with unemployment like mental health problems (for example, body dysmorphic disorder) and substance abuse.

Researchers from the Wellington School of Medicine reported that suicide linked to unemployment (in their overview of the population versus suicide) was just 6%, and mental illness is a factor in around half of all suicides. Suicide risk factors are not clear cut; it’s important to evaluate the entire individual – not just assume that because someone is unemployed they will commit suicide. Consider all the contributing suicide risk factors.

from

Unemployment Can Triple the Risk of Suicide: A Bad Economy Increases the Number of Suicides

One other note, job loss is a major depressor for men, and that can lead them to depression and in extreme cases to suicide. Men are four times more likely to succeed with suicide.
There was a lot more at work here than just "unemployment" which can take many forms depending on the individual's life circumstance. This was the case of a young woman who had applied for over 200 jobs, apparently mostly entry level (dinner lady, shop assistant) and received multiple rejections over the course of two years.

I have no doubt it was this brutal experience, not merely the fact of "unemployment" that set this young woman over the edge. She probably had ignorant people around her saying, "grow up and realise how lucky you are."

My kids are overachievers who have been very "lucky in life" so far, but I can very easily see their faces in this young woman's. There but for the grace of God go I and mine.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:40 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times
Quote:
Researchers from the Wellington School of Medicine reported that suicide linked to unemployment (in their overview of the population versus suicide) was just 6%,
Well I suppose that settles that matter given that scientific data has never been wrong or misleading.

Quote:

Just a couple weeks ago, a gentleman who refereed our flag football games on the weekends committed suicide because he, too, could not find employment. Aside from not having a job, he had plenty of things to be happy for. In fact, it was not until his extended stint with unemployment that his demeanor started changing for the worst.

Suicide, though important to recognize, is just ONE of the major social repercussions of this economic depression. It could even be argued that it is the least harmful repercussion, since the damage is contained to a smaller group.

On the other hand, I've seen people do some pretty crazy things out of desperation. It's in our nature, after all, to survive (Anyone remember NOLA after Hurricane Katrina?). You're an atheist, Chuck. I'm sure you've read "The Selfish Gene". Did that teach you anything about human nature? I'm not trying to stir up emotions or fear; I'm simply pointing out some consequences that we all have to beware of.

Thank you for this thread, DreamingSpires!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment