Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:52 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,588 times

Advertisements

Slowly I've been realizing my own entrepreneural dream and have had the privilage of hiring my own staff ( receptionist/bookeeper,seamstress and a pattern maker). Everything, as far as establishing myself among my peers as a serious business appeared to be going great. The young women (29 & 32, 34 ) and I, with the exception of minor personality conflicts. appeared to be getting along fine. One day during one of our daily meetings, two of them ask if they could speak with me about something. Not thinking it was going to be anything too serious or unprofessional I give them my attention.

"We wan't you to fire Linda because we don't like her"!! Of course I laugh it off because I'm not taking any of this seriously. Needless to say I was the only one laughing !!!! When I realize this, my first inkling is to terminate them both for even annoying me with such nonsense, instead I told them both that in the next meeting we would address any problems or concerns that could potentially be having a negative effect on the workplace!

My head is still boiling !!!!
I don't have time for this....should I cut my losses and get rid of them both ? Or entertain this nonsense?!?!!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 08:06 PM

355 posts, read 869,342 times
Don't terminate anybody over this issue because then you will have to pay out unemployment benefits. Let them walk away if they can't handle Linda. If you are the boss and you like Linda and if she is good for the business, keep her. The other two need to grow up.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:51 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
I don't have time for this....should I cut my losses and get rid of them both ? Or entertain this nonsense?!?!!
Neither. You should not entertain complaints about personality conflicts amongst these three workers now or ever. Do not establish your reputation as that kind of boss.

Inform these two that you will listen to no more of their petty complaints and that everyone who works for you is expected to work with whomever you assign them to work with. If they don't like it, they can quit.

Don't let your head boil over this, don't even waste a second's energy. This won't be the first time such trivialities are brought to you and you need to form a habit of letting them roll off you rather than ruffling your feathers.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:09 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times
Not that I'm adding anything but +1 for the "tell those women to shut up and do their jobs, if they can't deal with other people, let them quit," solution.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Neither. You should not entertain complaints about personality conflicts amongst these three workers now or ever. Do not establish your reputation as that kind of boss.

Inform these two that you will listen to no more of their petty complaints and that everyone who works for you is expected to work with whomever you assign them to work with. If they don't like it, they can quit.

Don't let your head boil over this, don't even waste a second's energy. This won't be the first time such trivialities are brought to you and you need to form a habit of letting them roll off you rather than ruffling your feathers.
I think this is excellent advice. I think this will work better than Southbounds standard "just quit" advice

Old 05-16-2010, 12:30 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Petty complaints like this lead to the wrong people getting fired. They are working professionals and they need to act like it.

As RottenChester said--if Linda is good for the business, keep her. The other two need to deal with it or leave. People are looking for jobs everywhere and you can find other people.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
Have the women wrestle it out topless, that is the only plausible solution to this awesome problem.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I think this is excellent advice. I think this will work better than Southbounds standard "just quit" advice
What on earth are you talking about? I never told her to quit... Stop acting like an idiot (if you can).

Old 05-17-2010, 03:05 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
OP could ask the complainers for specific concerns and offer to sit down with them to discuss specifics. If there aren't specifics, the complainers have no concerns, right?
And I agree with those who have a short fuse for this kind of complaint. It's too much like a sandbox for four-year-olds, not a professional or business concern.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:28 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
This happens alot when in a small office situation. I remember my manager and the receptionist who talked about extremely sexual things while at work all the damn time. They were both around 40 and I was around 20 so it was kinda disgusting as well. I came into work later and asked where the receptionist was. From what I was told, they had a sexual conservation and the manager "crossed the line" which caused the receptionist to bolt out of the office never to return. My manager didn't get in trouble cause of it since both were at fault for allowing it to get there. This was in the middle of tax season and caused them to hire 6 temps before one actually fit properly. This was an office where only 6 people worked and only 3 of us were there 12 months. One only worked 5 months a year and the other two worked 9 months.

So yea...this kind of issue seems like nothing to you but its a big deal when only a handful of people work together. For example, I work with about 30 people in my office. I can't stand about 8 of them which I feel is a good chuck. 8/30 = 26.6%. With 3 employees and two of them don't like the other one, 1/3= 33.3%.

This is a MUCH bigger deal than you think. You need to handle this problem seriously. The other two are coming to you because they can't stand the other one. If you don't do something, they will ostracize the other one and you know mad women can create hell!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment