Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 03:08 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,502 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done any work as a film extra? Trying to start a biz in Entertainment Advertising and PR. Thought this may be a decent part-time gig to have while in college. Is it possible to do extra work in Sac and SF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 03:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
I know others that have done it. For them it has been noting more than a sideline. Most of the time you have to be available when filming is taking place. I have worked on a studio that did first run syndication shows, meaning non network stuff that is sold to local stations. The shows that the studio produced were "High Tyde" with Rick Springfield, "Mike Hammer Private Eye" with Stacey Kiech, (Probably spelled his last name wrong.) "Air America" and a few other shows that didn't live very long. This was a non union shop and didn't pay as well as Union productions. (I wasn't there to act though.) In the past extra work was advertised on the LA times. I am sure that you can find additional information on line.

One co-worker did it all the time and ended up getting his speaking parts. He ended up on the cast of a show and did two episodes before having the show get canceled. To get a SAG card you need to get 3 SAG vouchers, meaning that you need to become friends with the Assistant Directors. They give out so many a day. Another way to get one is to get a principle speaking part in a movie or TV show. Getting the SAG card allows you to do so much more, if you can get a part. It is hard out there in the entertainment industry.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:45 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Start with the SAG. I'm sure they'll have all sorts of things to say.
Some might even be helpful to you.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:26 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,382,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Has anyone done any work as a film extra? Trying to start a biz in Entertainment Advertising and PR. Thought this may be a decent part-time gig to have while in college. Is it possible to do extra work in Sac and SF?
BackStage.com is a good place to start... Auditions | Casting calls | Open casting calls | Casting call | Open casting call | Backstage

Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,454 times
My friend was an extra once for the TV show Hung, filmed in the Detroit area. She said it was fun, but she wouldn't have the patience to do all the time.

I've heard other people talk about the interesting dynamics among extras. Some just do it for the extra money or as a hobby, while others are very adamant about it and take it as very serious work as "professional actors."

Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,502 times
Thanks to everyone for the great info. It is helpful to know that others have been able to earn income as an extra, and have it lead to better opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment