Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
This is a much different picture from the book I read last year about the Chinese factory worker. Essentially in that book, they tracked a bunch of farm girls who moved to the cities for abundant factory jobs. They LOVED the opportunities to see the big city, make money, and in fact there were SO MANY jobs they could job jump all the time. It was the ultimate coming of age fun for them before returning to the farms (eventually) to marry.
I wonder what book you are talking about. There is a reason you almost always see young girls working in those lines (except for machine factories with larger equipment with men, a few older men). That's because they are young with energy, good eyesight, and physically capable of handling the small components. After they get too old they can't do those jobs anymore. If they get married then maybe it doesn't matter, but not everyone gets married or in a good marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Some of you are really harsh given the situation is causing people to think suicide is their best choice. It's a horrific scenario. Just saying that China stole our jobs and they should give them back isn't any sort of solution.

As USAmericans, we have so many choices we get to make before getting to the point of committing suicide. And it's apparent that we take it for granted.
It's ONE choice, and no-one seems to be giving a rats %$# if Americans do the same because there are zero jobs and no more UE.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
It's ONE choice, and no-one seems to be giving a rats %$# if Americans do the same because there are zero jobs and no more UE.
I wholeheartedly disagree. I think you put too much emphasis on the jobs. Life's not all about jobs here. In China it is. Here, we have the option to move anywhere in the US to find a job. We also have options to move out of the country to find jobs. Our American skills go a long way in other parts of the world. I know many people who have just decided to continue their careers in other parts of the world such as Dubai, Brazil, or Bahamas (just to name a few).

Us Americans put too many artificial restrictions on ourselves. In China, they don't have choices to do anything other than work or die.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:33 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Working in a factory here is no picnic, either.

BTW, anyone ever see Chinese immigrants working in factories here? No, they get all the good, high-tech, high paying jobs, while we (ummmm....by we I mean the group I belong to which I dare not mention....ok, I will, don't tell anyone, white, male, over 50, remember, those people?)

Well, while "we" get the leftovers, delivering pizzas, grocery store checkout, call centers, ever see any Chinese working those jobs? They wanted our factory jobs, until they find out they're no bed of roses, so, they line up to come here and get the 'good" jobs, while we can take the leftovers!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Working in a factory here is no picnic, either.

BTW, anyone ever see Chinese immigrants working in factories here? No, they get all the good, high-tech, high paying jobs, while we (ummmm....by we I mean the group I belong to which I dare not mention....ok, I will, don't tell anyone, white, male, over 50, remember, those people?)

Well, while "we" get the leftovers, delivering pizzas, grocery store checkout, call centers, ever see any Chinese working those jobs? They wanted our factory jobs, until they find out they're no bed of roses, so, they line up to come here and get the 'good" jobs, while we can take the leftovers!
Nice Bon Jovi quote with the Bed of Roses.

No Offense (to you, myself, or anyone else of any race), but it was the White Male voters that put immigration law into place and increased quotas and it was the White Male voters that voted for US to be part of WTO. I'm leaving out parties and presidents, etc because I don't want this to get political.

You can't blame the chinese people for trying to live a better life just like you can't blame european immigrants of the 1700's and 1800's.

Also, jobs are going to China because us Americans rather pay $100 for a crappy BluRay player than $500 for a quality one. It's because us consumers choose to shop at Walmart instead of shopping at Tweeter. At somepoint when the economy here was good, we got greedy and wanted cheaper stuff. Well, our decisions are coming back to haunt us.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:39 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
This is a much different picture from the book I read last year about the Chinese factory worker. Essentially in that book, they tracked a bunch of farm girls who moved to the cities for abundant factory jobs. They LOVED the opportunities to see the big city, make money, and in fact there were SO MANY jobs they could job jump all the time. It was the ultimate coming of age fun for them before returning to the farms (eventually) to marry.

Yes, I agree dumping kids out based on tests and sticking them in 'industrial' work is not fair. Many people thrive in later teens or college like Chatress said.
Not all the workers are from the farms. The factory workers represent many walks of life. Quite a few are from working class urban families and had done poorly in school. Also the newer generation are "softer" and more pampered than those who came of age just a decade ago. They are typically the only-child and were raised by doting parents and grandparents "to do great things."

Thus the appreciation for these kinds of jobs would vary considerably depending on the circumstances that led them to working at the factory.

Furthermore prices have skyrocketed in the last couple of years, especially in real estate. These factory workers have been permanently priced out even in rural areas.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Some of you are really harsh given the situation is causing people to think suicide is their best choice. It's a horrific scenario. Just saying that China stole our jobs and they should give them back isn't any sort of solution.

As USAmericans, we have so many choices we get to make before getting to the point of committing suicide. And it's apparent that we take it for granted.
With so many millions of Americans out of work, I don't see where you are seeing all these choices.

Yes - someone single, fresh out of college with no real expenses, no mortgage, no kids in school can easily pack up and move and have many choices. Someone fresh out of high school can do the same.

Our unemployed former factory workers may not have so many options. Many will never be employed again because the factories are gone. Some will lose their homes, and they will live off unemployment handouts until those run out. Then who knows.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Life's not all about jobs here. In China it is.
For most of us it is. At least when there is no more unemployment benefits. '

Plus the Chinese have more options. They can stay in China or they can get to the USA and seek jobs here of any kind. They can come legally or illegally. Where can Americans go? We're not allowed to seek jobs in their factories, we can travel to jobs in our country -- just like the Chinese can do, but we can't go to theirs or many countries to work in factories.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:44 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,012 times
Quote:
Also, jobs are going to China because us Americans rather pay $100 for a crappy BluRay player than $500 for a quality one. It's because us consumers choose to shop at Walmart instead of shopping at Tweeter. At somepoint when the economy here was good, we got greedy and wanted cheaper stuff. Well, our decisions are coming back to haunt us.
More like cause and effect than real choice.
Since the 70's average worker pay has been stagnant adjusted for inflation. More and more companies have merged eliminating good jobs. Then these companies began off shoring the remaining jobs leaving far too many to compete for the lower paying jobs that remained, which lowered the pay even more. This opened the door for companies like Wal-Mart to thrive.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:24 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
I wonder what book you are talking about. There is a reason you almost always see young girls working in those lines (except for machine factories with larger equipment with men, a few older men). That's because they are young with energy, good eyesight, and physically capable of handling the small components. After they get too old they can't do those jobs anymore. If they get married then maybe it doesn't matter, but not everyone gets married or in a good marriage.

I'll have to find the name of it. I can't recall off the top of my head.

Okay, it's called FACTORY GIRLS: FROM VILLAGE TO CITY IN A CHANGING CHINA by Leslie Chang, 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment