Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times

Advertisements

Would you ever take the job of being a bike messenger? This job probably only exists in cities with large enough Downtowns, but sometimes a few restaurants use bicycle delivery...

I was once a bike messenger for 1 month back in 2005. Quit because of low pay / commissions [made $900 in a month]. Biked up to 180 miles a week and lost 5 lbs while eating well. Worst was making deliveries in complete days of rain at 45 F so I got frostnip in my fingers.

To make money you gotta get the hot jobs and be fast. Worse is when they tell you to pick up a box of papers that you have to deliver by balancing it on your handlebars while you ride.

Bike Delivery jobs are out there, but there's high turnover from burnout. But there are people who thrive this way.

So would you take a bike messenger job? Are you desperate enough in this economy?

After my first experience as a bike messenger I don't want to do this type of job again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 07:26 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I wouldn't survive, or I'd at least be in traction.

I work in Manhattan, and the bike messengers amaze me. There are bike lanes on many of the avenues, but still...they are riding along with insane traffic and it doesn't seem to faze them.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:30 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,825 times
Nope...they could offer $100k base w/ 3 months paid vacay and a 25% annual bonus and I'd still decline. I live in NYC so I am used to seeing these guys out and about. It's a very Spartan work environment...it is also very dangerous...guys holding onto to trucks so they get past the red lights, the occasional hit and runs (seen quite a few actually), close calls with pedestrians...commissions, quotas...and for what??? $7.50-$10 an hour...no thanks, I'd rather work at the drive-thru lol.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:35 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
LOLOLOL...no not at 60, I'd starve, I couldn't peddle fast enough - bad knees and back, If I was 20 sumpin' I would, but not now - the heavy duty physical jobs are no longer an option for me.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
I'd probably get killed trying to do runs quickly to maximize my income. Plus it seems like a more at-risk-of-disappearing job than being a customer service representative at an American call center.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
I love cycling and saw bike messengers frequently downtown in Chicago while I was in college. The pressure to make fast deliveries causes them to take chances that make things even more dangerous, like riding the wrong way down a 1-way street, blowing though red lights, riding on the sidewalk, cycling on unsuitable roads etc. I'd have to say not worth it given the high danger and low pay.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
In most major cities, the bike messengers are independent contractors. They set their own hours and that offers a lot of appeal for some demographics. They can work short shifts--as short as an hour or two. That's great for college students who have a break between classes. Or retail workers. Works for lots of other people too, who just want to pick up some quick cash but have sporadic or unpredictable availability, or limited availability.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I don't need the flexibility and freedom the job offers, so there are other easier ways to earn the same amount of money.

Last edited by kodaka; 06-07-2010 at 09:55 PM..

Old 06-08-2010, 07:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
I thought about doing that for a while...I cycle a lot and romanticized messengers in my mind. I thought it would be a great job, and I would get to cycle all day and get paid for it!

Then I realized it is a low paying, manual labor job with no hope for advancement. I am only 24, so I wouldn't mind it now, but would I want to have a low paying job like that when I am 40? Probably not. I want to set myself up for a job where I could support a family one day. The lack of opportunity for advancement is the dealbreaker.

It is a job, not a career, so no, I would not.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
If I were unemployed with little or no prospects, you bet I would--especially if my u/e had run out or was about to run out.

Just because you take the job, you don't have to stop looking for something better. And it's sure better than having no income.

Half the problem witht his country is people thinking they are "too good" for manual labor jobs. Back in the 1930's that entitlement mentality didn't exist.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If I were unemployed with little or no prospects, you bet I would--especially if my u/e had run out or was about to run out.

Just because you take the job, you don't have to stop looking for something better. And it's sure better than having no income.

Half the problem witht his country is people thinking they are "too good" for manual labor jobs. Back in the 1930's that entitlement mentality didn't exist.
It isn't entitlement. It is a desire to have a job with a chance of advancement. Do you work a job that is manual labor? If not, stop being a hypocrite.

Are you calling ambition a bad thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment