Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:29 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times

Advertisements

My family likes pork and sausage, whereas I prefer beef steaks and chicken filet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
I wonder if kangaroo would benefit from our low-and-slow barbecuing technique? It works wonders on beef brisket, a notoriously tough cut of meat. We smoke it for up to 24 hours at around 225F (107C), which gives the collagen and fat plenty of time to melt and lubricate the meat, while at the same time the smoke flavor has plenty of time to penetrate. Delicious!
Hmmm, I don't know but you've certainly got me curious. Slow-cooking is one of my favourite methods. Roo doesn't come in large cuts though, just small fillets and steaks, and sausages. I don't mind it rare, with a nice seared, crispy crust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbicon View Post
What does Kangaroo taste like ? And don´t say chicken.
No, definitely not anything like chicken. It's quite a dark red coloured meat, slightly gamey in flavour. Sorta like venison. It's a very lean meat, hence goes tough if done too long.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:59 PM

321 posts, read 960,571 times
I can't imagine grilling lean meats. Grills need dripping fat!

Old 08-27-2010, 03:54 PM

202 posts, read 568,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Hmmm, I don't know but you've certainly got me curious. Slow-cooking is one of my favourite methods. Roo doesn't come in large cuts though, just small fillets and steaks, and sausages. I don't mind it rare, with a nice seared, crispy crust.

No, definitely not anything like chicken. It's quite a dark red coloured meat, slightly gamey in flavour. Sorta like venison. It's a very lean meat, hence goes tough if done too long.
In that case, I'll see if I can find some recipes for bbq venison and elk that you might be able to adapt. You might also contact your local butcher and see if you can get your hands on a primal cut comparable to a beef brisket.

What you'd want is a large cut (about 15-25 lbs) from a part of the roo that gets a lot of work - something with a good amount of of connective tissue, preferably also with a good layer of outside fat. The low/slow process will liquify all that otherwise tough tissue and it will melt into the meat.

Meanwhile, the low heat will cause the protein fibers to first contract, then eventually loosen up, sucking in all that fatty goodness like a sponge. Finally, the smoke will have had plenty of time to penetrate, causing a red "smoke ring" to form on the outside of the cut.

Well, there I go, I've just given up the secret to Texas-style bbq brisket. I don't know if it would translate well to kangaroo, it might still be too lean. Of course, you could always wrap it in a few pounds of bacon!

Here's some pics:

Typical "whole" or "packer's" brisket. We try to trim it sparingly, leaving as much of the fat cap as possible.

Nice example of a finished brisket. Note the red smoke ring layer on the outside edge.

Excellent example of an old-school barbecued brisket that's probably been in the pit for about 15 hours. It looks like its been carbonised to a cinder, but that's actually just a very thin crust. (see next photo)

As you can see, it's still pretty moist on the inside. There's typically a lot of shrinkage, but the result is a very densely smoke-flavored, moist and tender slice of heaven with a pleasantly crispy crust!

Last edited by elnina; 08-28-2010 at 09:02 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 04:12 PM

14 posts, read 40,231 times
Slovakia: sausages, bacon, zivanska/raznici (the thing elnina posted), potatoes, and even those green/yellow summer apples we always used to have way too many in our garden (especially when I was a kid). This at least we did when using only iron/wooden sticks to put the stuff on, either in our yard or in nature. With standard grills, almost any kind of meat. Or you can dig a hole, put heated stones in there, and bake a chicken wrapped in aluminium foil. And actually, with potatoes it is a bit different - if you have a real fireplace, e.g. when camping in nature, you better wait until the fire gets weaker, dig them under the ash, and wait.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
Quote:
@Teak: where are you located? Do you grill the mackeral?
On the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia. Yes, I grill the mackerel like the chicken. Here is a photo of some chicken on the grill. (My Korean friend also tried grilling some dried fish, but that didn't turn out too well.) No photo of the mackerel, but I do it the same way. I have them cut into 1" thick steaks. Sometimes briquets; sometimes wood charcoal.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you grilling, barbecuing, or otherwise cooking outside?-grilled-chicken.jpg  

Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 PM

@eskimoblueday : I love cooking vegetables covered in hot ash, especially potatoes and other root veggies. As for underground cooking, one form of Mexican barbacoa that I really love is when they take the head of a cow and bury it in the ground to slow cook for an entire day. Sounds gross to some people, but the facemeat is unbelievably tender and rich in flavor. Of course, these days it's usually done in an oven or stovetop, but you can occasionally find someone doing it the old way.

As I'm sure you all know, covering food in hot ash or burying it is probably the oldest form of cooking that all our ancestors practiced, along with roasting meat on a stick, of course. That's part of what makes it so fun for me when I have the opportunity.

@Teak : Very cool. I love those little grills that I saw in the Asian countries I visited. Always something good cooking with the sidewalk vendors. I need to experiment more with grilling and smoking fish...

Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
Quote:
@Teak : Very cool. I love those little grills that I saw in the Asian countries I visited. Always something good cooking with the sidewalk vendors. I need to experiment more with grilling and smoking fish...
I can buy tuna here also, but I found that it is too fragile for decent grilling. The mackerel holds up better, and I try not to turn it too often.

I love grilling on wood charcoal. Briquets are easier to use, however, so I have gone with them more often lately. When I lived in China, I used wood charcoal to grill 'yang rou chuan(r)', which is mutton kebabs. The spice was basically a mix of cummin, chili powder, and salt, which is sprinkled on top before and after grilling.

Here is a photo from those days.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you grilling, barbecuing, or otherwise cooking outside?-300yangrouchuanjune1990.jpg  

Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I can buy tuna here also, but I found that it is too fragile for decent grilling. The mackerel holds up better, and I try not to turn it too often.

I love grilling on wood charcoal. Briquets are easier to use, however, so I have gone with them more often lately. When I lived in China, I used wood charcoal to grill 'yang rou chuan(r)', which is mutton kebabs. The spice was basically a mix of cummin, chili powder, and salt, which is sprinkled on top before and after grilling.

I've heard that coconut shell charcoal has a lot of flavor, have you tried it and/or bamboo charcoal? I want to experiment with bamboo charcoal at some point. I think it could be a very renewable and inexpensive heat source. That way I wouldn't waste so much hardwood generating heat, instead using just enough for flavor.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Yikes, makes me remember where I grew up ....
Spokes ... turned into skewers !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World