Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 PM

391 posts, read 754,158 times

Advertisements

I know that you can shoot and kill people in the Philippines for a couple of hundred dollars. I was offered to do so when I was there a couple of years ago.
However, killing people is not really my thing, so I declined. But I was wondering if there are any other crazy stuff that you can do (either in the Phils or elsewhere in the 3rd world) that might be considered "immoral" by the general Western population.

If you have any cool or interesting stories I'm all ears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 06:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
There are plenty of immoral things you can do in the USA. It's about Liberty, and it comes with the territory. Morality is not very rigidly policed in most countries where people exercise a modicum of freedom.

In the Philippines, I doubt if killing someone for a hundred dollars is legal, even though it is sometimes done. Which puts it pretty much in the category of "immora/illegal but easy to get away with".

"Immoral" is a pretty flexible word, and very few things are considered immoral by everyone.
---

You asked for a "story". Well, In Jordan (and some other nearby countries), homicide is considered a civil, rather than a criminal offense. There is generally no criminal charges or prosecution for it. However, there can be a very thorough investigation of the circumstances, and the family of the victim has a right to specify any (reasonable) compensation from the perpetrator, and the civil authorities have the power to enforce payment. This applies to any death, whether it is premeditated murder, or just a traffic accident. In the case of a purely accidental death, such as a traffic accident, the bereaved family customarily requires an elaborate mansaf (feast), to which they invite all friends and family, and the person who caused the death has to pay for it. And then the thing is over and done with.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-18-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
- Genital mutilation of children
- Honour killings
- Death penalty (I know there are a handful of first world countries that have it too but imo it is an immoral outdated practice)
- Child marriages
- Sexualisation of children or child-like behaviour (e.g. in Japan)
- Extreme submission of women (e.g. in some ME countries)

These characteristics of course don't apply to all third-world countries.

I doubt that murdering people for entertainment is a common or acceptable practice in the Philippines. Reminds me of the movie Hostel

Edit: I know Japan is not a third-world country (I was thinking "non-Western" when I wrote this). Then again, the US also sexualises children through child pageants, which creep me out.

Last edited by LindavG; 09-18-2013 at 08:19 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
I know that you can shoot and kill people in the Philippines for a couple of hundred dollars. I was offered to do so when I was there a couple of years ago.
I don't believe you.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Worst, craziest, most immoral thing that can happen in a foreign country...getting a bad taco in Mexico.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
What do you mean, YOU shoot and kill someone for $200? Or you can get someone shot for $200? You mean access to a gun? Because you can shoot anyone for free, if you have access to a gun, in the Phils or the US. But in the Phils you'd still be charged with murder of course, unless you mean you can bribe police and get away with murder. I don't doubt in many poor countries there are people willing to kill for a few hundred, though.

People also haven't mentioned sexual exploitation...in Cambodia, for instance, men prey on children, sometimes even masquerading as charity workers. Also in these countries a lot of families sell their children as prostitutes and the law doesn't seem to care much, it's pretty sad.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
People also haven't mentioned sexual exploitation...in Cambodia, for instance, men prey on children, sometimes even masquerading as charity workers. Also in these countries a lot of families sell their children as prostitutes and the law doesn't seem to care much, it's pretty sad.
This is pure fantasy. Cambodia has more anti-sex trafficking NGO activity than any country in the world. NGO's offer bounties to anyone who turns in western (note I said Western, they don't care what non-Western guys do) guys looking for underage girls. The police offer even bigger bounties in most cases because they can mske a lot of money off these idiots. Reality? Km 11 is dead, has been for over a decade. Child sex trafficking is not any more common in Cambodia than it is in any othet country and is COMPLETELY nonexistent in the Westerner spectrum of the P4P market. Ppl need to stop making up lies about Cambodia.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
This is pure fantasy. Cambodia has more anti-sex trafficking NGO activity than any country in the world. NGO's offer bounties to anyone who turns in western (note I said Western, they don't care what non-Western guys do) guys looking for underage girls. The police offer even bigger bounties in most cases because they can mske a lot of money off these idiots. Reality? Km 11 is dead, has been for over a decade. Child sex trafficking is not any more common in Cambodia than it is in any othet country and is COMPLETELY nonexistent in the Westerner spectrum of the P4P market. Ppl need to stop making up lies about Cambodia.
Ok, ok, I'm no expert about prostitution in the region as you might be, I'm just repeating what I've heard. I don't know why, but it's commonly reported that Cambodia has a problem with child prostitution.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:49 AM

It's commonly reported because NGO's have turned into big business. Continue to make up lies, continue to get donations from gullible westerners, continue to live a lavish lifestyle in a third world country. It's pathetic. You wanna see real child sex trafficking? Go to China. But you don't hear about that in your western media because NGO's can't make money off it. Disgusting

Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
It's commonly reported because NGO's have turned into big business. Continue to make up lies, continue to get donations from gullible westerners, continue to live a lavish lifestyle in a third world country. It's pathetic. You wanna see real child sex trafficking? Go to China. But you don't hear about that in your western media because NGO's can't make money off it. Disgusting
They do tend to focus on Cambodia, I've noticed. So what are you saying, they're not really doing much, or making the problem sound worse than it is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World