Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,960,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
My only problem with Toronto is the quality of the towers, they are mostly cheap condo towers with basic boxy shapes. There are no big, spectacular design office towers, like the ones that are going up in London and New York.

Toronto needs to build some landmark towers like the shard, one world trade centre and 122 leadenhall. Toronto also still doesn't have a supertall yet.

All of this, however, is more than compensated for by the huge size and large number of projects in torontos skyline
The condo designs are getting better (I do agree many are not inspired but they never really pretended to be) and Aura at 272M is actually quite striking and while it has boxy elements in the lower half is starting to fuse boxy with curvy very well in the top half. One Bloor East is another promising tower and it'll be tall. I'm not sure how familiar you are the recent wave of buildings but I've noticed marked improvement in design and quality in addition to height.

Toronto has some excellent examples of tall office buildings including imo one of the best POMO designs ever in Scotiabank... Going back further we have probably Van Der Rohe's greatest creation, an I.M PEI and a Durell Stone among other so not bad at all. In the next few years look at the Office construction growth and development in T.O - I think you will be pleased!

As for having no Supertall - well the CN Tower was the tallest free standing structure in the world for 35 years and at 550+ metres is as imposing as most of the worlds Supertall buildings Plus BMO is only 2 metres shy of 300 metres. If you put it beside a 300M building you wouldn't notice a difference and BMO is a respectable 298M to roof - if you add the antennae it is 354M to pinnacle height and is easily a Supertall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 08:28 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,256,117 times
A lot of American cities are building more now than when the list in the OP was made.

For example, San Francisco currently has 11 buildings of 100+ meters under construction (including a 200+ meter tower, and a 300+ meter tower), with several more approved, and 16 more proposed.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 PM

301 posts, read 522,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
A lot of American cities are building more now than when the list in the OP was made.

For example, San Francisco currently has 11 buildings of 100+ meters under construction (including a 200+ meter tower, and a 300+ meter tower), with several more approved, and 16 more proposed.
Chicago has a few going up now, as well as San Francisco.

New York is doing much better now than when this thread was started. Toronto is booming the most tho and has been booming for years.
Toronto skyline is massive now and in a few years it will surpass Chicago

Old 04-06-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:

Indeed - the original list was back in 2011. In need of an update and S.F's skyline is looking set to transform in the next 5 years.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:00 AM

284 posts, read 643,390 times
i dont understand why people are so obsessed with skyscrapers and city skylines these days.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 AM

732 posts, read 784,105 times
^^Its all personal preferences, if you don't like it, you don't have and you don't need to be here...

Old 04-08-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
^^Its all personal preferences, if you don't like it, you don't have and you don't need to be here...
Exactly! I have no idea why some people like to sew... doesn't mean they shouldn't be interested in it if they like it.. Besides, this forum is called City-Data Forum and skylines are a big part of many of the worlds large and growing cities... Most City-Data Forummers like skyscrapers and skylines - its a part of our DNA.. This isn't a sewing forum

Last edited by fusion2; 04-08-2014 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 AM

592 posts, read 830,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
i dont understand why people are so obsessed with skyscrapers and city skylines these days.
I always have been. I remember being obsessed with the skyscrapers downtown San Francisco when I was a small child.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:17 AM

592 posts, read 830,651 times
Quote:

I'm really excited to see the 181 Fremont Tower. San Francisco is going to have one very impressive skyline in three years time!

Old 06-11-2014, 03:24 PM

400 posts, read 423,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
My only problem with Toronto is the quality of the towers, they are mostly cheap condo towers with basic boxy shapes. There are no big, spectacular design office towers, like the ones that are going up in London and New York.

Toronto needs to build some landmark towers like the shard, one world trade centre and 122 leadenhall. Toronto also still doesn't have a supertall yet.

All of this, however, is more than compensated for by the huge size and large number of projects in torontos skyline

That's the problem I have with them too. Mediocrity rules here, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World