Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:26 PM

3,991 posts, read 6,795,905 times

Advertisements

We all know that the biggest "world celebrities" are all from the English speaking countries.

We know that the most famous music artists and bands are the American and British (and Jamaican) artists / bands.

In non-English speaking countries, those "world celebrities" are very famous too, and enjoy a lot of success.

But... The non-English speaking countries also have their own local music celebrities.

What if the users from non-English speaking countries use this thread to share the names and the work of the local music celebrities of their countries?

We may tell who are the most famous music artists / bands from our countries, that sing in the local language (not in English). We can even use YouTube videos, if possible, to show some of their work.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 03:00 PM

3,991 posts, read 6,795,905 times
OK, I will start with the guy who is certainly the most famous music artist in Brazil: Roberto Carlos.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Carlos_(singer)

Roberto Carlos is a romantic singer who is know in Brazil by the nickname "O Rei" (The King).

The nickname shows how important this guy is in Brazil. He is the most successful singer in Brazil's history. Roberto Carlos has sold over 120 million albums around the world.

His career started in the 60's, more than 40 years ago, and he is still active, recording new albums.

Roberto Carlos is so important that every single year, by the end of December, Globo TV, the biggest TV network of Brazil, makes a "special concert" of him, called "Roberto Carlos - Especial". It happened every year for the past 20 years.

Some YouTube from Roberto Carlos:

Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 PM

174 posts, read 640,258 times
In Japan and South Korea, local talents sell more album than American and British musicians except for a few ones like Mariah Carey in Japan. JPOP and KPOP are huge genres of music in Asia and scattering now in US, Mexico, Europe, Canada and South America.

Some famous JPOP artists:
1. YUI
2. Ayu
3. Gackt
4. Arashi
5. AKB48

KPOP artists:
1. SNSD
2. Super Junior
3. KARA
4. 2NE1
5. Big Bang

Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
I have both Korean TV stations and NHK so I see a lot of both of the modern forms of music. I am a little bit too old for some of it but you can't but be impressed with these artists. The most amazing thing I heard recently was on the Korean Christian Channel. A group of young kids singing music from the American black church that was a soul stirring as anything i have heard on the South Side of Chicago. The kids also had great moves.

I am a big fan of Japanese enka singer Suizenji Kyoko. She has a great voice and a super delivery. Check out Youtube.

I am sure everyone knows the Brazilian bossa artists like Jobim and Gilberto but how about the Portuguese Fado. I think it is a great musical experience. There my favorite is Agentina Santos.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Juanes
Shakira
Marc Anthony
Astrud Gilberto
Tom Jobim
João Gilberto
(The last 3 were from the 1960s)

Old 12-21-2011, 08:04 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Telek (aka George Telek) is a pretty popular singer in Papua New Guinea. He sings in Tok Pisin and Kuanua.

Here's a song he did with Ngaire Joseph (of "Australian Idol" fame)...

GEORGE TELEK "WEST PAPUA" (MERDEKA REMIX) - MUSIC VIDEO 2010 - YouTube

Another popular singer in Papua New Guinea (and Hawa'i as well) is O-Shen (aka Jason Hershey). Although both of his parents are American, he was born and raised in Papua New Guinea. He sings Tok Pisin and a couple of other languages.

Here's one of his songs...

OSHEN - TURANGU - YouTube

Although Japanese music is quite diverse (eg. enka, J-Pop, J-Rock, J-Hop, J-Reggae, etc), Jero (aka Jerome Charles White, Jr) is a surprisingly popular enka singer.

Here's one of his songs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba9rK...eature=related

For J-Pop, Crystal Kay (aka "CK" and Crystal Kay Williams) is relatively popular. She began her singing career at the age of 13 and has been at it for the last decade or so.

Here's a song that she did at a live concert back in 2007...

Crystal Kay

For J-Reggae, Pushim (aka Pak Pushim) is the "Queen of Japanese Reggae" and sings both J-Reggae and J-Soul...

Here's one of her J-Soul songs...

PUSHIM : a song dedicated - YouTube

Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
I will be posting some stuff from where I live in the province of Québec, Canada a little later, but for fun here is some music in French from... the United States of America!

Zachary Richard - Pagayez Live @ Belle Et Bum 31-10-09 [HD 720p] - YouTube

Old 12-21-2011, 08:49 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Some contemporary music from the other North America, the one most people rarely hear about!

Some popular stuff from recent years...

Marie-Mai - the most successful pop star in Québec in recent years.

Marie-Mai C'est moi - YouTube

Pierre Lapointe - pop but somewhat less commercial than Marie-Mai. From my home city actually.

Pierre Lapointe - Deux Par Deux Rassemblés - YouTube

Coeur de Pirate - totally unrelated to piracy

Coeur de Pirate || Comme des enfants [vidéoclip officiel] - YouTube

Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
In most parts of the world, a lot of the most popular singers are very old, in their 50s and 60s.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:47 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
I once saw Gretchen in the Porto Alegre airport. She is a brazilian C list celebrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World