Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,439,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
And Istanbul isn't a big city? The 2nd most populated city proper on earth?
Welcome to the City Data Forums - a fact-free area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,589,707 times
I've been to Istanbul. To be honest, it's not that impressive and nice as it looks on pictures and TV.
Lots of homeless people, moderate unreported crime rate, developing, crazy drivers.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,161,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Welcome to the City Data Forums - a fact-free area.
'We take the 'data' out of city data lol.'

Old 01-20-2014, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,843 times
Default Athens and Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv is modern and well designed. It combines the best elements of a North American city (technology) and a European one (culture). The people seem happy and are easy to talk to.

Athens is a historic but somewhat chaotic city. There is much more to it than Omonoia and Syntagma. The south coast near Glyfada feels like Tel Aviv. Kifissia and other northern suburbs are great for hanging out. There are many hidden gems that are off plain sight that you would have to read a guide to become aware of. The locals are generally friendly. If someone is xenophobic it is likely Albanian and a woman.

Rome I have no experience with.

Istanbul I also have no experience with but I would steer clear of a country where Islam is the dominant religion.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:52 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,170,549 times
I would probably pick Rome, as I like Italian food and culture and the Amalfi coast just further down is beautiful.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:33 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,597,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I would probably pick Rome, as I like Italian food and culture and the Amalfi coast just further down is beautiful.
Amalfi coast is on another region: Campania.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:46 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,170,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Amalfi coast is on another region: Campania.
I know - but it's still within easy reach of Rome if you hire a car and is just down the coast past Naples

Old 01-20-2014, 12:26 PM

43,799 posts, read 44,572,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
O

Tel Aviv: I'm not really a beach person and I guess there are equally good places for a nice party elsewhere (read: not that far away) in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I would choose Tel Aviv in a heartbeat : more southerly, beach culture, great nightlife, a south Californian/ Rio de Janeiro feel, and more secure than the rest of Israel in terms of tensions with Palestinians.
There is a lot more to Tel Aviv than just a beach, cafe and party culture. There is real culture as well.

In Tel Aviv there are Israeli National Theater Habima, the Israeli Philharmonic Orchestra, the Israeli Opera (located at Tel Aviv Performing Arts Center), the well known Tel Aviv Municipal Kameri Theater and the Israel Ballet Company (which is based in Tel Aviv).

Also the well worth a visit is the Diaspora Museum (located on the campus of Tel Aviv University) and if one likes modern art the Tel Aviv Museum of Art is another noteworthy place of culture.

Israelis are friendly to visitors and has good public transportation (except on the Jewish Shabbat/Saturday and religious Jewish holidays). So it a good place to visit if one hasn't been there.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:38 PM

217 posts, read 326,579 times
I'd really like to go to Tel Aviv one day, I've heard outstanding things about it.

I don't plan on going to Turkey ever, and I don't appreciate them stealing Greek historical sites and putting them in their tourism commercials.

I've been to Rome and Athens. Both outstanding, both quite different. Both have their pros and cons.

However, for nightlife/beaches I give a strong edge to Athens. Rome I don't consider a party city. There are wonderful places to go to at night with your significant other, but I don't consider the club scene strong there.

Athens on the other hand is outstanding at night. Hundreds and thousands of places/clubs to go to have a great time. And you're REALLY close to some fantastic beaches. It's like a 30-40 minute drive from the heart of the city to Saronida which is a fabulous beach spot. Greek beach water in comparison to Italian beaches is a vast difference.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,844,741 times
Rome/Istanbul, Athens, Tel Aviv a distant last.

Don't know why so many are saying Tel Aviv, what's so interesting about it? Might as well stay home in America or go somewhere in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World