Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 AM

291 posts, read 831,967 times

Advertisements

Globalization is often presented like some romantic idea of global harmony, but it is nothing but downsizing of costs for big businesses. Impose the same global taste and you will easily sell the same type of iPhone produced in China anywhere in the world, and in no time you will end up with 500bn $ in your pocket.

The same food, cosmetics, fashion… chains in centers of all major cities are just pioneers of that mega-dull future world we are, sadly, heading to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 01:03 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothesky View Post
Or do you think the trend will eventually stop or even reverse? The Internet may connect us all in theory, but I don't think it will ever completely homogenize culture, most people still don't travel that much and focus on their local area more than anything.
yes , check out the movie starship troopers

Old 04-08-2012, 04:30 PM

692 posts, read 1,355,590 times
It's so cheap to travel now that most Europeans take full of advantage of budget airlines and eurostar train discounts. An increasing number of people also move abroad for work and retire abroad.

In terms of the high street a lot of international chains have emerged, and you can find the same high street chains across many parts of the western world.

I recently noticed that Taco Bell are expanding their franchise throughout the UK, along with Dennys, both of which are set to join KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, Quiznos, Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, Subway, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Domino's Pizza and numerous others. Ruby Tuesday also recently opened an outlet in Cardiff and Mexican Food Chains Chipotle and Freebirds World Burrito are also expanding. Whilst in terms of fashion groups such as Gap and Abercrombie and Fitch can be found on many UK High Streets.

These American chains are on top of the mass of home grown food and coffee chains seeling everything from noodles to pizzas to burgers and fried chicken etc.

Last edited by Mulhall; 04-08-2012 at 05:00 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 PM

207 posts, read 707,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
The Internet is a tool that different cultures utilize in their own subtly different way. Let's use Facebook as an example. Among white Americans, people normally use their real names, or their real first name and an initial (or a fake last name). Black American users often insert a creatively-spelled adjective or noun or phrase into their names, like "Dewayne swaggggtastic Williams". The Mexican friends I have on Facebook tend to use fake names, or names without the original spelling. One friend of mine, whose first name on Facebook is intentionally misspelled, told me this is (partly) due to fear of kidnapping. It's rare to see a full Mexican name (two first names, two last names) on Facebook, so you might see "LuZZiaa Hdez". Another uses her nickname and the initials of the university she went to.
My black and latino friends in facebook never practice that. They use their real names.
I have friends tho who uses nicknames or fun names. And that is regardless of ethnicity & age.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
The Internet is a tool that different cultures utilize in their own subtly different way. Let's use Facebook as an example. Among white Americans, people normally use their real names, or their real first name and an initial (or a fake last name). Black American users often insert a creatively-spelled adjective or noun or phrase into their names, like "Dewayne swaggggtastic Williams". The Mexican friends I have on Facebook tend to use fake names, or names without the original spelling. One friend of mine, whose first name on Facebook is intentionally misspelled, told me this is (partly) due to fear of kidnapping. It's rare to see a full Mexican name (two first names, two last names) on Facebook, so you might see "LuZZiaa Hdez". Another uses her nickname and the initials of the university she went to.
Interesting, if true. Most people I know, from many countries, use their real names.

I mean kinda frustrating if you're trying to look up your old classmate, Eugene Simmons, when he goes by 'GeefromtheWestSide.'

Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I think globalization/globalism has plateaued since the late 1990s or so. It's hard to predict what will happen in the future as anything could happen.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:23 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,958 times
I would be sad if every country became absolutely the same in the future! What's the point of travelling if that happened? And this is coming from someone who loves to travel.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
My black and latino friends in facebook never practice that. They use their real names.
I have friends tho who uses nicknames or fun names. And that is regardless of ethnicity & age.

It made me laugh because most of the latina girls I know have weird names written hahah

Old 05-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Aspects of Globalization is actually beneficial, can unite the world, and diversify local areas.

The positive aspects of Globalization should be maximized and can be used in a harmonious and balanced way with the negative aspects of it being minimized.

I don’t think Globalization would ever make every country the same and it can actually bring more variety and excitement for different local areas of countries if it is expressed properly and in a high quality way.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 PM

562 posts, read 989,665 times
The Facebook thing is funny because I see it ALL OF THE TIME. Maybe its a young person thing?

Globalization won't last forever mostly because of increasingly scarce resources. We will all remain connected via electronics and the internet but I bet you will see less physical spread because average people will be more concerned about honing in their finances and resource consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World