Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Of all the countires I have visited, around 40, France is by far the least friendly to Americans. From Paris to Aix en Provence, from small kids to adults, they were at least consistent. In Paris, which I had business in, when my wife was along, Id stay in the Marriott so we could get instructions to different places in English without a snotty look. Paris is almost enjoyable staying this way. Is it a spectacular city with some great museums but not worth the trouble and price.
It's kind of like Rio de Janeiro. It's a once in a lifetime "must see," and that includes Versailles (the palace and gardens). Right, see the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, Ile de la Cite with Notre Dame, Montmartre, Place de la Concorde, the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay....take your pictures, and you've got it. I've only been once. Ditto for London. Been to other European countries as much as 7 to 10 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It's kind of like Rio de Janeiro. It's a once in a lifetime "must see," and that includes Versailles (the palace and gardens). Right, see the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, Ile de la Cite with Notre Dame, Montmartre, Place de la Concorde, the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay....take your pictures, and you've got it. I've only been once. Ditto for London. Been to other European countries as much as 7 to 10 times.
I agree other than liking London, been there 10 times on business and always had good time and easy to find place with the help of locals.....scots irsh heritage here might have helped though. I like Italy as well as Turkey, Spain, Czech Republic in Europe. I like the people and strong cultural differences in Asia but dont find it as scenic....had great time in Tokyo and at Narita with helpful incredible staff working there.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times
so the french win the cake

who would have known ?

they can be really hospitable and helpful if you are really good looking though

so look in the mirror before you buy that fare/board that flight

Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
they can be really hospitable and helpful if you are really good looking though
For some reason, I can see that. They are very image-conscious...and the word "libertine" is a French one.

But, then again, can you believe some of those pastries in the shops in Paris? In "the 7th," I bought the best chocolate mousse tart I've ever eaten in my life (in Francs, but circa $3.60).

Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,751 times
I've only been to Mexico, Italy, France and Spain..Of all these places the rudest person I've ever encountered was in Nice, France.

My friend and I entered a bar to ask for directions to a disco, the bartender was totally lovely and helpful, but the patron he was serving must have been in a bitter mood becuase he followed us out of the place, saying rude remarks towards Americans, then he pulled a gun on us!! Thankfully his drunk ass stumbled and he had to catch himself from falling on the pavement, this gave us enough time to run away. It could have been much worse, but seriously WTF!

I think Mexico has the best hospitality from what I've experienced, sometimes its a little too friendly..

In Madrid I found the locals to be rather cold at first then theyre totally fun..

Southern Spaniards are the best for sure, always down for a great party, no matter the circumstance, we danced and sang all night in the middle of a plaza, such wonderful times.

Of course Im generalizing, as there are great people and horrible people everywhere!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
From what I have heard, French people who live in big cities like Paris, Bordeaux, etc. are quite rude to tourists who cannot speak French. But who cares? I think it is a better idea to visit small towns and villages when you travel to France anyway - friendlier people and better traditional food.

On the same topic, I cannot imagine what would happen if an American travelled to Iran, Iraq or North Korea (if it is even possible) and told them that he or she is American. I guess 'rude' would not be a suitable word to use in this situation?

Old 04-12-2012, 03:41 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
Quote:
On the same topic, I cannot imagine what would happen if an American travelled to Iran, Iraq or North Korea (if it is even possible) and told them that he or she is American. I guess 'rude' would not be a suitable word to use in this situation?
Hmmm, I think there is a lot of hate created by the media and political class, but as far as I have experienced, people in/from Iran are very friendly and helpful, wherever you are from. A lot of very smart people over there are still suffering from their crazy government, as Iran as a rich culture, good universities, and intelligent people. It could be a very good developed country, without those stupid religious extremists, so I guess it depends on who you will meet over there. Maybe to meet and to talk with an American without Army dress would also be a great experience to people in Iraq.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 AM

202 posts, read 567,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Funny video, thanks for the link.

Living in Portugal, I would not agree with the highlighted remark above. The people who complain most about Brit behavior where I live are the people who live here. However, the town is studded with bars owned by Brits that operate on the British drinking-till-you-puke-is-fun model, and these attract crowds of louts......but they bring in money, so they are tolerated if intensely resented. The town could easily find reasons yank their licenses if it wanted too, and it has clearly chosed to live with the situation. High-end Brit tourists are another matter, and they are sincerely welcomed, rather than tolerated.

Spain is a big country, there are areas and cities alloted to mass tourism and they don't bother locals. For example, Salou, Benidorm, Torremolinos, large areas of Palma de Mallorca or Canary Islands. They get drunk in those areas. Local don't distinguish among nationalities, a lot of them are Germans, Dutch, French, etc.

The model you are describing worked in Spain two generations ago, but now mass tourism do not go to little towns packed with bars, those little towns are now expensive and not "all-inclusive".

The people that complain the most are the inhabitants of Barcelona, just 15 years ago the city did not receive any tourists and now the place is packed. Tourism has affected negatively the city. All good homely restaurants disappeared and now sell fake tapas and frozen paellas, the ramblas is a circus, etc, etc.

There are towns like Lloret that also complain a lot because mass tourists get real drunk in "all-inclusive" hotels and then go to raise hell in the town, and don't spend a cent.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:59 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Hmmm, I think there is a lot of hate created by the media and political class, but as far as I have experienced, people in/from Iran are very friendly and helpful, wherever you are from. A lot of very smart people over there are still suffering from their crazy government, as Iran as a rich culture, good universities, and intelligent people. It could be a very good developed country, without those stupid religious extremists, so I guess it depends on who you will meet over there. Maybe to meet and to talk with an American without Army dress would also be a great experience to people in Iraq.
I agree with you that people from Iran are very intelligent and friendly. One of my favoriate local restaunts in the Houston Energy Corridor was run and eventually owned by an Iranian. Best manager and owner of a restaurant I know, he would make anything I wanted and get the ingredients if need be for me. Bottom line is of the many Iranians I have met in Houston mostly, they are friendly very helpful intelligent people.

To be honest about the media, if they say something I tend to assume its not true rather than the opposite, that has proven more correct than not.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Bottom line is of the many Iranians I have met in Houston mostly, they are friendly very helpful intelligent people.
I grew up in SoCal which experienced the biggest inflow of Iranians. With the exception of those who could buy mansions in Beverly Hills, the more "regular" Iranians were intelligent, friendly, and even funny. They gladly taught me all the words I wanted to know, including the bad ones, as did my Arab friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World