Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times

Advertisements

The World's Rudest Nations For Travelers - Forbes

That's what happens when you shake me down bad at the Eiffel Tower. I never said I was Russian. I did not have any alcohol on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 05:08 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I travel some and never really encounter places that are exceptional rude, and very much agree with this statement:
Some of the perceived rudeness may be attributable to cultural differences rather than anything intentional.
Tourists that don't speak languages, don't try to understand other cultures and history of those places, first time tourists that expect everything has to be the same as in their own country, like to compare other countries with their own and criticize everything, those home sick and lost when traveling, those that travel in groups and cannot compromise, malcontents, and people that generally are not happy with themselves and others are the majority that complain about their travel, describe their experiences as nightmare and insist that all that is a fault of "others".

Old 04-07-2012, 05:56 PM

huh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Tourists that don't speak languages,

Well, but that's why they are called tourists and not residents.

don't try to understand other cultures and history of those places,

Well, then why would they visit? And I don't see how this has anything to do with the friendliness of the locals. Unless I go to Israel and wave a Nazi flag.

first time tourists that expect everything has to be the same as in their own country, like to compare other countries with their own and criticize everything

Can't say I agree with this. Besides, it's about the rudeness of the country/population. You are talking about rating a country negatively based on what it has to offer. But that's not what this is about, though.

, those home sick and lost when traveling, those that travel in groups and cannot compromise, malcontents, and people that generally are not happy with themselves and others are the majority that complain about their travel, describe their experiences as nightmare and insist that all that is a fault of "others".

But it's about the perceived friendliness. I can love a country and still think the locals are rude as hell.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Whether or not an action is seen as rude is subjective, because the judgement occurs in the mind.
Lets talk about smiling. E.g. in Moscow it is seen as rude to smile at someone for no reason, where as in the West, the same action is seen as a polite gesture. Americans smile because that's their idea of service - in hotels, restaurants, banks etc. Its also not that they are frendlier by nature - maybe even otherwise, but becasue it is a commonly accepted way of communication.
People in some other countries are simply more reserved and you're not going to be their immediate best friend just because you happened to come to their country, nor they think they need to jump when you walk into their store.
Are French people really so rude or maybe this French bashing is a hangover from when Bush started the drums beating for his phony war in Iraq and France wouldn't go along with it?
From my observation it always appears that Americans were expecting things to work exactly the same in France ( or other countries) as they do in the US. They have done absolutely no research into customs, social mores, the vastly interesting array of food available, or anything else, except the THINGS and PLACES they want to see.
So, if something happen not to their expectation and desire, they call it rude and not accommodating.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,055 times
I heartily agree it's all very subjective, and varies widely not just by host country by country of origin of the tourist. Cultural differences, racial attitudes, language differences all play a part. And, as noted, what one perceives as rude (e.g., someplace where quiet but passive aggressiveness is accepted may perceived even a short outburst as uber rude). I imagine we've all heard some English speaking tourists, including Americans, ask a question in English in a non English-speaking country and, when they're not understood, repeat the same phrase just slower. In some places, openly flaunting liberal (not politically) sexual or drinking attitudes can be seen as rude. Or at least gross. In Brazil and other countries, people may cut in lines and park in a lane of traffic (with emergency lights flashing) and this isn't perceived locally as rude, but others may disagree.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
For those of us that have done decades of worldwide business travels, the list is pretty close. I wouldn't have put Russia in the top 5. They are more paranoid than rude which is left over from the cold war years. But France being #1: no doubt in my mind. When I've travelled through France I tell them I'm Canadian and throw in a 'Eh' here and there.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:07 PM

Default Everybody loves authentic tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
For those of us that have done decades of worldwide business travels, the list is pretty close. I wouldn't have put Russia in the top 5. They are more paranoid than rude which is left over from the cold war years. But France being #1: no doubt in my mind. When I've travelled through France I tell them I'm Canadian and throw in a 'Eh' here and there.
How can they possibly not love this?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
The United States, when you return and pass through Customs and Immigration. In evry other country, you are welcomed as a guest. In the US, you are welcomed as a presumed criminal.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:49 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Spain has the rudest people I've ever encountered. Love the place anyway.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM

202 posts, read 568,085 times
French are not rude, they are like that. Problem is that Americans and other tourists take them seriously. Spoiled kids act in an idiotic manner when they are the center of attention, French do the same.

In fact, most tourists won't see many French in cities like Paris. Most of the waiters are immigrants, and immigrants treat tourists the same way than French treat them..so, it's kind of a chain reaction.

Now, French people outside tourist circuits are just normal people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World