Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU vs NA
European Union 91 46.67%
North America 104 53.33%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times

Advertisements

The United States. I would never want to live in Europe especially since the houses there are too small and expensive.

Cities - Both are nice.
Weather - North America- more "diversity".
People - Either
Sports - Either
Economy - North America
Scenery - North America
Education -Don't know
Nightlife - Probably Europe but I'm not a partying person so I don't care.
Other -

Last edited by 90sman; 10-27-2012 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 03:29 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
The United States. I would never want to live in Europe especially since the houses there are too small and expensive.

Cities - Both are nice.
People - Either
Sports - Either
Economy - North America
Scenery - North America
Education -Don't know
Other -
All houses in Europe are not small. I have a large 3 bedroom, 2 bath house on 1/3 acre. They only seem to be expensive to you because you are converting the price to $.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:37 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
All houses in Europe are not small. I have a large 3 bedroom, 2 bath house on 1/3 acre. They only seem to be expensive to you because you are converting the price to $.
So you have a "big house", good for you. You're not most people though. Statisticsally speaking, houses in Europe are smaller than in the US, Australia and in NZ, etc. But houses in Europe don't "seem" expensive, they ARE expensive, just like gas.

I've even seen the houses with my own two eyes on Street Viewer and they ARE much smaller and so are the yards. House Hunters is another proof.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...rch-finds.html

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/aver...und-the-151738

Americans have the biggest houses at 2300 sq ft.
Denmark: 1475 sq ft.
France: 1216 sq ft.
Spain: 1044 sq ft.
Ireland: 947 sq ft.
Britains have the smallest at 818 sq ft.

I imagine people in places like Hong Kong and Japan, etc have smaller houses but I couldn't find any information about them.

Also, a lot of people in Europe live in cramped apartment styled "homes" with tiny yards and drive ways, I would never want to live a place like that.

Last edited by 90sman; 10-27-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
So you have a "big house", good for you. But statisticsally speaking, houses in Europe are smaller than in the US, Australia and in NZ, etc. But houses in Europe don't "seem" expensive, they ARE expensive, just like gas. I think Australia has the largest newly built houses and the UK has the smallest, the US is second after Australia.

I've even seen the houses with my own two eyes on Street Viewer and they ARE much smaller.
There are plenty of big houses where I live, most are Victorian. Guess you didn't look up my street. You were probably looking at houses in the cities.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:23 PM

162 posts, read 421,071 times
Quote:

Cities - Both are nice.
People - Either
Sports - Either
Economy - North America
Scenery - North America
Education -Don't know
Other -

I personally would rather live in Europe than many parts
of the U.S.. U.S. has too many hoods and problems with
high unemployment, since it gave much of it's
industry away to China.

Just my two cents, nothing personal.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:39 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
So you have a "big house", good for you. You're not most people though. Statisticsally speaking, houses in Europe are smaller than in the US, Australia and in NZ, etc. But houses in Europe don't "seem" expensive, they ARE expensive, just like gas.

I've even seen the houses with my own two eyes on Street Viewer and they ARE much smaller and so are the yards. House Hunters is another proof.

New houses are too small, research finds - Telegraph

Average Home Sizes Around the World | Apartment Therapy

I imagine people in places like Hong Kong and Japan, etc have smaller houses but I couldn't find any information about them.

Also, a lot of people in Europe live in cramped apartment styled "homes" with tiny yards and drive ways, I would never want to live a place like that.

im surprised that ireland is so low down , houses tend to be large in this country , too large , personally im not a fan of big houses , i like the uk when it comes to houses , plenty of charechter and charm , especially in english villages

shabbiest houses ive ever seen are in new zealand

Cities - europe = bar new york , americas cities are not in the same league as london , paris , berlin , rome or barcelona
Weather - North america
People - north america = a younger culture which changes more quickly
Sports - europe = i dont care for any american sports
Economy - North America = much more dynamic and innovative
Scenery - tie
Education - north america if your well off , europe if your not
Nightlife = europe = europe is the home of clubbing if thats your thing , americans tend to have house parties

Old 10-28-2012, 09:28 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
New houses (apartments included) used to be bigger in Norway 25 years ago. The average size was 188 m2 in 1987. Now it is down to 119 m2. The cheapest detached house in Oslo (157 m2) costs around $545,000 but that is a crappy one (needs renovation, like a new bathroom and kitchen, so the price is more like $600,000).

Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:

New houses are too small, research finds - Telegraph

Average Home Sizes Around the World | Apartment Therapy

I don't trust those figures. I found figures stating that the average house in Britain is 1100feet and ireland 1200feet. The houses in Ireland and the UK aren't that small. Out in the country we have some pretty big houses I mean my house is 3500feet and it is nowhere near the biggest house..

Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
There are plenty of big houses where I live, most are Victorian. Guess you didn't look up my street. You were probably looking at houses in the cities.
Exactly.

In the British isles in general there is a major difference in house sizes from country to city.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Exactly.

In the British isles in general there is a major difference in house sizes from country to city.
And a huge difference in garden (yard) sizes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World