Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
When you take away the now almost global collective body of English-speaking culture, that may be true, but that cannot be underestimated. London-New York is still the most travelled air route in the world, and even though Briton's have a greater familiarity with the Continent than Americans, they still, I would suspect, feel a greater affinity to Americans than say the French or Germans, if only for having a similar common language and popular culture.
I've found opposite to be true.
To me Britons come across far more as the rest of Northern Europeans than Americans.
But may be the line crosses somewhere in the middle and part of Britons feel more affinity to Americans. Definitely not all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 PM

244 posts, read 592,921 times
Americans are easily offended compared to their fellow anglophones, and this naturally makes them more PC. I think the British have all about done away with being PC in most casual or semi-casual situations, having a bit more of a global sense will less likely cause you to shame someone for a simple remark. I also agree that interactions are far more genuine amongst Brits compared to the rest of the anglosphere, in general.

I was going to mention the culture of alcohol consumption as did a previous poster. It is a strange thing that most anglophones are out to down the sip that puts them over the edge. In the states this has caused a strange taboo with alcohol and how it is viewed by the much of the society. People still will act like school-children when alcohol is the subject or when someone brings a bottle out. However, it is more common to have strict limitations on where and when it is appropriate to drink, as to not offend anyone...this drives me crazy. I have been to countless "dry weddings" in the states, or family get-togethers where alcohol is shunned, in fear that the kids might see or someone will take it too far. This is most definitely not the case in Britain, or Australia even, where having a pint is almost always appropriate in any kind of social situation (I did say ALMOST ALWAYS). Often on a lunch break at work I will suggest to my colleagues that we go grab a pint or a glass of wine...and usually I get this odd gitty reaction, like I asked them to pee on a cop car or something, and then they usually follow with "oh I better not" or "WE ARE AT WORK..hahaha!!!"...so usually only my English colleagues will take the walk with me to the pub, and inevitably have a discussion over the cultural differences on the way.

Adding to this, my family is of Italian heritage, so often times for dinner or any kind of hosting the appropriate drinks are available and being served depending on the time of day (apertifs, wine at dinner, digestives, etc). It is always funny to see how our (typical) american friends (those that aren't accustomed to this) respond. It usually starts with a strange amount of discomfort, or a strange amount of excitement...like they are about to do something bad. Inevitably, it's those same people who we have to babysit (adultsit) for an extra while to make sure they get home ok. They find out that they like a nice negroni, and then they have one too many...

Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I've found opposite to be true.
To me Britons come across far more as the rest of Northern Europeans than Americans.
But may be the line crosses somewhere in the middle and part of Britons feel more affinity to Americans. Definitely not all of them.
I still see the Anglosphere as more of a coherent 'bloc.' The British have most affinity with Irish then Australians, Kiwis, Canadians then Americans, then Scandinavians.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:53 PM

^ Good points. The 'PC Police' are probably just more active in North America, especially Canada and liberal parts of the US.

It is annoying how alcohol is so associated with binge drinking and drunkenness in the Anglosphere nations. I think this culture is changing among some - we're a major wine producing/consuming nation now, and our per consumption of alcohol actually trails behind a lot of European nations. Although while the French or Italian like to enjoy a red or white after every meal, the Aussie might not drink all week, and get utter **** faced during the weekend.

Abstinence is very un-Australian. Even among conservative Christians it is rare to encounter somebody who totally abstains from alcohol. I've met a handful of Australians who totally abstain from alcohol, and one had an allergy to it.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I do think that despite the claims of uber-Britishness of many Canadians and Australians (usually in contrast to Americans), all the New World Anglos have more in common with each other than with Britain. That said, I do believe that there is a pan-Anglo culture that most Brits are loathe to admit, preferring to be lumped with Frogs and Krauts than the lowly New Worlder.

:-)

Old 06-02-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I do think that despite the claims of uber-Britishness of many Canadians and Australians (usually in contrast to Americans), all the New World Anglos have more in common with each other than with Britain. That said, I do believe that there is a pan-Anglo culture that most Brits are loathe to admit, preferring to be lumped with Frogs and Krauts than the lowly New Worlder.

:-)
Actually European culture has surprisingly a lot of similarities with Britain too. For instance watching European TV shows or movies they use the words 'bloody' or 'lad' (that's what it's translated as). I think they really are in between Americans and Europeans, meaning mostly Northern Europeans. They are far more like Americans than say Italians.

For instance, in terms of social views, sense of common history, ideas of nation, they're like Europe, but in the areas that matter most, like language, they are more like Americans. No matter how much they might otherwise have in common, a Briton is going to be able to have more in common with an American than say an Austrian or French person who doesn't speak English for that alone.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:55 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
While the days of Rule Britannia and the glories of Britain's worldwide Empire may have passed into that realm of romanticised past, the British legacy has left a far deeper stamp than any of the other colonial legacies. Once upon a time Napoleon might've dreamnt of everybody from Paris to Peking conversing in French...I wonder if, King Alfred ever imagined that it would be the language of the Angles that would begin to dominate the world.

Now many Brits affect an almost self-conscious humility, shrinking away from displays of unrestrained national pride except when it comes to sporting events, lest they be accused of being western Imperialists. Only Scots and the Welsh are permitted the public display of pride in their nation, as they too are sometimes considered as being 'oppressed' by England.
the line about the scots and welsh being opressed by the english is the biggest load of codswallop

the welsh and especially the scots were right there in the thick of it when the brits were plundering and stealing the natives jewells , the scots signed up for empire wholeheartedly , their wanabe victim status is a bad joke

Old 06-02-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the line about the scots and welsh being opressed by the english is the biggest load of codswallop

the welsh and especially the scots were right there in the thick of it when the brits were plundering and stealing the natives jewells , the scots signed up for empire wholeheartedly , their wanabe victim status is a bad joke
Most definitely, the Scots were some of the most gung-ho fervent imperialists. The idea that Britain = England is annoying. My city, Perth, was founded by the scotsman James Stirling who named it after the town in Scotland. It's the most Scottish as well as the most English city in Australia, many suburbs/neighbourhoods/streets are named after places in Scotland or Scottish settlers. While we have plenty of Irish-descended, the Irish roots seem to go deeper in places like Queensland and Victoria.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:57 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,617 times
I can only compare the two countries I have lived in (US and Germany) because everywhere else I was just on vacation or not at all.

- In the US you are usually called by your first name by colleagues and you'd call a salesperson in a store by their first name, too. In Germany that's totally unacceptable, you only call people by their first names if you know them better (ie friends, family, children or colleagues you've known for a long time). Also, it usually is the older one who has to offer this.
- Americans beat around the bush a lot and you need to read between the lines to know what exactly they are talking about. A German would just say "no" if he doesn't want certain things.
- American "love" their friends, Germans don't. Love is reserved for boyfriends, girlfriends and maybe the family.
- Hugging is a big deal in the US while Germans only hug good friends and family members.
- The American alcohol policies and attitude towards alcohol in general seems very strange to Germans and other Europeans.
- Politics and religion are far more openly discussed in Germany.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I can only compare the two countries I have lived in (US and Germany) because everywhere else I was just on vacation or not at all.

- In the US you are usually called by your first name by colleagues and you'd call a salesperson in a store by their first name, too. In Germany that's totally unacceptable, you only call people by their first names if you know them better (ie friends, family, children or colleagues you've known for a long time). Also, it usually is the older one who has to offer this.
- Americans beat around the bush a lot and you need to read between the lines to know what exactly they are talking about. A German would just say "no" if he doesn't want certain things.
- American "love" their friends, Germans don't. Love is reserved for boyfriends, girlfriends and maybe the family.
- Hugging is a big deal in the US while Germans only hug good friends and family members.
- The American alcohol policies and attitude towards alcohol in general seems very strange to Germans and other Europeans.
- Politics and religion are far more openly discussed in Germany.
You actually mean, hugging isn't a big deal in the US? I thought Americans also hug only their close friends and family members...Don't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World