Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 1st world nation has the worst quality of life in your opinion?
Japan 10 4.02%
South Korea 19 7.63%
Singapore 23 9.24%
United States 68 27.31%
Canada 1 0.40%
UK 21 8.43%
Ireland 3 1.20%
Italy 9 3.61%
France 1 0.40%
Spain 16 6.43%
Germany 3 1.20%
Denmark 0 0%
Sweden 3 1.20%
Poland 68 27.31%
New Zealand 4 1.61%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 02:42 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,446,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
This thread is for Singapore!!

Singapore may have a very high GDP per capita but the cost of house is way too high! It's not a problem if you have a good paying job that pays you $5000 or more a month.

For an engineer like me working in a nice company, still house expenses for 3BR is already $2700 per month, that is about 50% of my entire monthly net income. Even if my wife work, it is NOT worth it since child care is also very expensive. I have to rent out one bedroom to a friend to lessen the house expense.

Now, there are many workers in Singapore living in $800-$1000 monthly income, those who work in the restaurants, mall..how can they live in a $1000 monthly salary? Take note, Singapore doesn't have minimum wage as of yet. So what they will do is to share in an apartment room, about 3-4 people in a room, or stay with their parents. Obviously these people cannot marry and have kids. Now wonder, the fertility rate of the country is way too low.

COL is fast rising but salary is very stagnant in the past 10 years.

Singapore capitalists have to resort to foreign workers (cheaper) to lessen their labor cost. Local singaporeans are losing their edge and have to lower their salary expectation to be able to compete with foreigners. At the end of the day, the capitalists win, the middle class lose. Worst scenario, businesses will pack up and head to Malaysia or Philippines to open up their offices.
Doesn't sound that much different from Taipei. Except for the foreign workers part.
The GDP per capita of Taiwan is overvalued to a very confusing extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 04:00 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Doesn't sound that much different from Taipei. Except for the foreign workers part.
The GDP per capita of Taiwan is overvalued to a very confusing extent.
But Taiwan isn't developed.

I've been to areas of Tainan and Kaohsiung. Food is very cheap! I happen to stumble in one restaurant that offers meal for 75NT and they give free drinks and you can even take it with you. Visit to clinic/dentist is FREE. Clubhouse, museums, swimming pools and movies are free (for local Taiwanese) in certain parts.

Certainly, lives of Taiwanese is way better than Singaporeans!

In Singapore, even ICE for your drinks is NOT free. You get a cold COKE, you need to pay extra 20cents because it is cold.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:58 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,190 times
Spain is terrible.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:59 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times
I don't now if I'd put poland in the list of developed countries

A lot of people confuse STANDARD OF LIVING with QUALITY OF LIFE.... they are both different!!!

The US for example has a great standard of living (unless you're poor), you have giant houses, giant cars, 24/7 amenities etc. but as far as actual quality of Life the US is a not that nice of a place to be (all you do is work and work and work)

Spain has a great quality of living, plenty of culture, outdoor stuff, a culture that is very sociable with tons of history, great food etc.... however standard of living has declined a lot especially after their crisis.

now you have other countries that are developed but have crappy standard of living and crappy quality of lives (ireland and the UK), horrible weather, infrastructure falling apart (don't believe me check their railway system and compare it to the german or french), a lot of violence for a developed society, epidemics of alcohol addiction and knife violence, racism a galore and as far as standard of living everything is outrageously expensive and many UK places look like post-industrial grim towns.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:16 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I don't now if I'd put poland in the list of developed countries

A lot of people confuse STANDARD OF LIVING with QUALITY OF LIFE.... they are both different!!!

The US for example has a great standard of living (unless you're poor), you have giant houses, giant cars, 24/7 amenities etc. but as far as actual quality of Life the US is a not that nice of a place to be (all you do is work and work and work)

Spain has a great quality of living, plenty of culture, outdoor stuff, a culture that is very sociable with tons of history, great food etc.... however standard of living has declined a lot especially after their crisis.

now you have other countries that are developed but have crappy standard of living and crappy quality of lives (ireland and the UK), horrible weather, infrastructure falling apart (don't believe me check their railway system and compare it to the german or french), a lot of violence for a developed society, epidemics of alcohol addiction and knife violence, racism a galore and as far as standard of living everything is outrageously expensive and many UK places look like post-industrial grim towns.
Noone I know in the US works as much as their European counterparts.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:24 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
you're seriously dreaming if you think Europeans work more than Americans!!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:45 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
As an average Londoner I work part-time and certainly do not have a crappy standard of living or poor quality of life. I live in a decent suburban home, with a big tv, fast internet and am 30-40 minutes away from the centre of one of the greatest cities in the world with access more than enough cultural experiences, nightlife/live music, green space, restaurants, museums etc to consider this a great place to live. You've slated the UK before and you're starting to sound more than a little trollish. Give it up.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:27 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
But Taiwan isn't developed.
Yeah probably, more like borderline.

Then my vote goes to either Singapore, South Korea, or perhaps Italy.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:53 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post

Of course there are big difference and people work also part time, but on average the Americans are much more work-orientated and obsessed with making money than an average Western European. Sure, there are people who only work here, but on the other hand some who worg 35 hours and spend 50% off those on facebook. Some, especially medium level white collar workers even refuse to work OT.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:11 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Of course there are big difference and people work also part time, but on average the Americans are much more work-orientated and obsessed with making money than an average Western European. Sure, there are people who only work here, but on the other hand some who worg 35 hours and spend 50% off those on facebook. Some, especially medium level white collar workers even refuse to work OT.
I thought all of the west is money hungry? or is it just that we are MORE money hungry?

Do Euros have a big symbol in popular culture over there like the Dollar is here? is there music videos of people making it rain euros, wearing chains with the Euro symbol, posting pictures of Euros on Facebook.
or is the whole money worship thing foreign to you guys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World