Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 AM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
You'd need to compare Luxembourg to a US state with a similar infrastruction and proportions to make a more fair comparison.
Well, per capita is a pretty good shorthand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Why do so many people in Luxembourg own cars? Where are they driving to?
Or they might just love driving like me

Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Although it's true that the U.S. as a whole is car-dependent, it's good to be aware that not all regions of the U.S. are equally car-dependent.

If you live on the east coast like I have for my entire time, then it does not feel that car-dependent. The large east coast cities have pretty good public transportation and they have an extensive train system connecting them. That's 450+ miles from Washington D.C. to Boston. This is one of the reasons (among many) why I am rather reluctant to live anywhere other than this region in the U.S.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
When I lived in Mostoles (a few kms out of Madrid), my husband and I had a car. We never used it to go to the market, since there are markets all around (towns are denser in Spain, so people and businesses are found in the same areas). My doctor was 1 block away (there are doctors' offices all over the place). I held a job in Madrid, so I walked to the fast train, and took that into Madrid. Then, when I switched to another job in Getafe, I drove to that. There were buses that went to Getafe, though, and some people took them. Our cars went mostly unused. We did, however, use our cars to get away to other towns and cities: Galicia, Leon, Basque country, etc. on extended weekends (called "puentes") and vacations (which I had LOTS of in Spain). I barely pumped gas as a result. Our cars were luxuries.

Here in the U.S. my car is a necessity (a water and food style necessity). Without my car, I can't get to work, if I can't get to work I can't get $, which means I can't buy food, I can't keep a roof over my head, and I can't survive.

Very different situation, having a car for luxury, and having a car because you can barely survive without one. The U.S. is indeed completely and totally car-dependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetails View Post
In the USA while the car has been a blessing in that it gets people
where they need to be faster it's also had negatives to it. People are not as
friendly to others and are more prone to road rage here than 40 years earlier
when cars did not play such a huge role in peoples lives. Are other countries this attached to their cars like United States citizens are.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Australia, without a doubt. We have the same low-density autocentric suburbs - most Australians live in single houses in the suburbs...living without a car is still troublesome in most areas, although at least public transport is improving.

You might see high car ownership rates in some European nations but public transport is generally MUCH better than the US, people use their cars less and also tend to drive smaller cars.

Canada is a bit better than Australian in terms of controlling sprawl, usage of gasoline per mile or kilometre.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 AM

You just brought up the key to all this: CONTROLLING SPRAWL. The U.S. does literally NOTHING to control sprawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Australia, without a doubt. We have the same low-density autocentric suburbs - most Australians live in single houses in the suburbs...living without a car is still troublesome in most areas, although at least public transport is improving.

You might see high car ownership rates in some European nations but public transport is generally MUCH better than the US, people use their cars less and also tend to drive smaller cars.

Canada is a bit better than Australian in terms of controlling sprawl, usage of gasoline per mile or kilometre.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 AM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Although it's true that the U.S. as a whole is car-dependent, it's good to be aware that not all regions of the U.S. are equally car-dependent.

If you live on the east coast like I have for my entire time, then it does not feel that car-dependent. The large east coast cities have pretty good public transportation and they have an extensive train system connecting them. That's 450+ miles from Washington D.C. to Boston. This is one of the reasons (among many) why I am rather reluctant to live anywhere other than this region in the U.S.
Save for NYC and maybe DC, the best that could be said for northeastern cities is that they have good public transportation for a US city of their size. Compared to developed peers in East Asia, Canada, and Europe, they don't do so well.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 AM

I can't blame you. I feel totally disconnected living in Florida, which is completely car-dependent. It's horrible. I'd feel so much more secure living in one of the big cities of the east coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I found it strange that some of my American friends would use their cars to drive 400 yards to a store.
It's about pace of life and the attempt to check off 100 things on the "to do" list in 24 hours;
not the actual inability to walk 400 yards to the store.

I am severely against the car-dependent American lifestyle and guess what do I do when I am there?
I drive 400 yards to the store! So I can buy whatever I am looking for very quickly, and then speed off to solve other problems left.

The only difference between myself (naturalized American) and most Americans is that I, at least, b**ch about it, whereas most Americans have been zombied into thinking this is normal.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:26 PM

There's a very good reason why some Americans might prefer using their cars to drive to a store, even if closeby. One is they're used to not using their legs, but that's the smaller reason. There's a far bigger reason.

The bigger reason is that this is a car-dependent nation and is often without sidewalks. Most areas of the U.S. are not pleasantly walkable areas, nor will you find lots and lots of pedestrians traversing them taking strolls and window shopping or stopping at cafes for a croissant as one does in, say, Europe. In the U.S., if you walk, you are often, you will be the sole walker, getting odd stares and honking from the hundreds or thousands of cars driving by. It's often dangerous to walk, since one often ends up being the only walker. Since it's not walkable, aside from there being no sidewalks, there are often obstacles - plants, fences, driveways absolutely everywhere, garbage, etc. And let's suppose it's not dangerous to walk the area, there is absolutely no one and nothing to browse at as you walk, there are no shops or anything to take cover under (no stores, not much of anything), should it rain, sleet, etc.

So, since walking is unpleasant here, and an oddity here since others don't do it, and one would have to go it alone and isolated, Americans are not willing to take the chance on walking, even if the place is close by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I found it strange that some of my American friends would use their cars to drive 400 yards to a store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World