Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:21 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times

Advertisements

Wages in Scotland are much more than what waiters etc get in the US, tips make up for the wage. I tip very rarely back home and in Spain too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
I have never tipped anyone in my life.
People get decent wages in Sweden, but you can leave a tip if the service was good.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I've never been to a restaurant where I've needed to leave a tip or felt obliged to do so. I've never left a tip in my life.
That's what it felt like when I've visited the U.K. too. One time, I tipped 15% at a London restaurant and the waiter's eyes almost popped out. lol.

On the other hand, in the U.S. if you don't tip at least 15% for lunch or 20% for dinner, then you're considered a cheapskate and low-class. Some people actually get inferior service in many U.S. restaurants because people of their demographic are rumored to not tip properly.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:08 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
(and to an extent Canada, though I still feel Canadian tipping culture is a bit looser, with more of a 10-15% standard, and as well not as mandatory, though still pretty much expected, unless service is really bad; it seems Canadian tipping culture seems to have caught up or at least is moving strongly towards the US direction).
I find tipping culture in Canada to be essentially the same as in the U.S. It certainly seems to be every bit as mandatory in Canada as it is in the States.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:05 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
the tipping culture is pretty non existant in my country , ive tipped on occasion but usually dont , wouldnt even think of doing so most of the time

Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 PM

598 posts, read 956,164 times
I think Americans must tip out of necessity rather than out of the kindness of they're heart because waiters don't get paid a livable wage, I know I've never tipped in my life because our waiters are paid good usually around $25 an hour!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 PM

61 posts, read 114,711 times
Tipping is optional in some Europe countries while it's not neccessary in most Asian countries.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:41 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
When I visit America, I tip as is expected, but I don't like doing so. As someone else said, I would prefer servers to be paid a proper wage. Why should a customer have to make up the employee's wages. That is the employer's job in my opinion.

I think it is demeaning for a worker to depend on the generosity of customers. If that means a higher price per meal, so be it.

I find it quite astonishing, when buying a drink at a bar, the server expects a tip. His job is to serve drinks. Why should I be expected to pay him for doing so? Many foreigners find this aspect of American life very odd.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:53 AM

33 posts, read 67,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
When I visit America, I tip as is expected, but I don't like doing so. As someone else said, I would prefer servers to be paid a proper wage. Why should a customer have to make up the employee's wages. That is the employer's job in my opinion.

I think it is demeaning for a worker to depend on the generosity of customers. If that means a higher price per meal, so be it.

I find it quite astonishing, when buying a drink at a bar, the server expects a tip. His job is to serve drinks. Why should I be expected to pay him for doing so? Many foreigners find this aspect of American life very odd.
Exactly! The idea of almost being bullied or having your character besmirched into giving a tip for someone doing their job when the owner doesn't pay a living wage is shocking.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,813 times
In Russia tipping in restaurants is not required, but is expected, in some rounded amount - like 100 roubles ($3). If you tip a lot like Americans do - waiters will consider you an idiot. I tried that a few dozen times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World