Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 01:30 PM

175 posts, read 273,924 times

Advertisements

I prefer nature over architecture, although architecture is great too.

And yeah, the US has a lot of great places for nature and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 01:50 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If all you're looking for in the US is history and architecture, you're going to miss out on a lot. And if you define "architecture" as something in the European style, or European-derived, you'll miss a lot, too.
It doesn't always have to be ancient to have the look of European style art and architecture. That's why I like to play up D.C. a little bit (and not only because I live here, haha). We've got these kinds of things too:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2781/4207372078_844a306ecc_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5216/5...613e3855_z.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6175/6...aed4642b_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7061/6...98e14897_z.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4032/4...b248f46d_z.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4036/4...a002daff_z.jpg

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/187/47...7a8d2ba5_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3017/2...70cb0848_z.jpg

http://mccumberdaniels.files.wordpre...reme-court.jpg

But now, people might start complaining how things look TOO European and they want to see AMERICA. lol.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
That's the entire point of brunch in Maryland: you don't have breakfast because you have church in the morning, and then you go with your family and friends to brunch right after church ends. Brunch and church go together. Brunch always follows church and church always precedes brunch. The very reason for brunch is church.

This... separation of church and brunch that you Pennsylvanians and Texans have is very strange...
In Texas, church usually is over around noon. 'Round here, that's lunch time, not brunch time.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:42 PM

581 posts, read 969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In Texas, church usually is over around noon. 'Round here, that's lunch time, not brunch time.
When do yall start?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
When do yall start?
Usually 10:30 or 11 am. That's CHURCH. Sunday school starts about 9:30 or 10 am.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 6,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I think where the U.S. beats Europe as far as places to see are our natural areas. Europe doesn't have a Yellowstone or a Grand Canyon or the giant sequoias, nor the vast wilderness areas we have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I like nature but I really don't have an affinity for history. This is where the US shines because the country is less than 300 years old. There hasn't been enough time for mankind to rape this very large country. So, a lot of it's natural features are still in tact. It's beautiful to go into the forest, rivers and natural monuments like Yellowstone, Grand Canyons and some caves. European civilization has been around a lot longer and has had more time to destroy the land (which is still smaller than the US when excluding Russia) to put buildings on it. I've been to many European countries and I've visited historical buildings and structures. I found it to be extremely boring. I mean like "Look, there's the Eiffel Tower" "I don't care." I would much prefer looking at nature than a stupid building.
Places like Central America, Madagascar, Namibia, New Zealand, Australia are also know for there natural areas. Natural areas in those places can give the USA a run for it's money.

Australia, New Zealand and Canada are also less than 300 years. United States is nothing special.

I think the OP was comparing American cities, architecture and history to not just Europe, but also Asia, Africa and South America.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 6,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is why when in Europe, I avoid the cities, and spend all my time in small towns, villages and the countryside.

Now I feel like I need to get to know my own country better. For that matter, I don't even know my own home state very well. I've never been to Yosemite National Park in California, which would be a must-see on many tourists' itineraries, rivaling Yellowstone, but without the geysers (and buffalo). The scenery is spectacular! And the redwood forests. Glacier National Park (better get there while the glaciers are still there!), and the Grand Teton mountains. So much to see, so little time.

One thing the US has that Europe can't even come close to are the Native American ceremonial celebrations. There's such a wide variety of traditions, you can travel all over the States and see something unique in every state. We get a fair amount of European tourists for the summer ceremonial season here in NM, but there's a ceremonial calendar in every state, each with its own unique tradition.

If all you're looking for in the US is history and architecture, you're going to miss out on a lot. And if you define "architecture" as something in the European style, or European-derived, you'll miss a lot, too. It would be like going to Mexico and dismissing the pyramids, ball courts and ceremonial complexes of the Aztecs and Maya as outside the definition of historical architecture. Pretty myopic, don't you think? I can't imagine a better definition of Eurocentrism. Surely no one could be that foolish.
The rest of the Americas have Native American ceremonial celebrations also. Indigenous people of the Americas are Native American.

There is more to architecture than European. Pyramids in Mexico and Central America are amazing!

Old 08-05-2012, 05:05 PM

581 posts, read 969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Usually 10:30 or 11 am. That's CHURCH. Sunday school starts about 9:30 or 10 am.
I see. Here church is at 9-10:30. Kids leave partway through for Sunday School, they then return for the end.

Most "Brunch" is actually at lunchtime though. It's just a word we use to give ourselves an excuse to eat biscuits and gravy for lunch.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Besides you can't of unrealistic expectations of a country that's only been around for a few hundred years when compared to places that have been around for 600+ years. You are a fool if you do that. If anything I think the U.S. excels in this for being such a young country and for having such an impact and culture that has been spread globally.

From your previous posts I also see you have a strong dislike for the U.S. andCanada.....
I agree wholeheartedly C123, it just seems that regardless what the topic or inquiry concerns here it would appear that there are the usual suspects who are just downright anti U.S./American. I don't believe that everyone could or should love everything about the U.S. or Americans in general (and btw there are many, many posters who make a solid point of stating what they do like/love about the U.S. and/or Americans) as there are things that Americans dislike as well. What we dislike generally has nothing to do with our food, our culture, our physical and geographical attributes, or our wonderful and diverse landscape.

As my mother would say, regardless of what you dislike there is surely something you can find that you do like (about something, someplace, or somebody).

Old 08-05-2012, 06:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Default Go for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth4truth View Post
well, now that you mention it, australia is perceived as boring because of that. That and the fact that most of it is uninhabitable desert.

someone should put up an australia tourism thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World