Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Q - Probably Quebec City... Can't really see why people choose Quezon City besides the fact that it sounds kind of exotic.
1) I live in Quebec City, picking it would kind of defeat the purpose of the thread
2) too many good choices starting with M so I wanted to pick Manila without picking "Manila"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
For living in 1 year+:

A- Amsterdam Netherlands

B- Bangkok Thailand/Buenos Aires Argentina: I couldn’t decide between these two intriguing, wonderful cities with a unique exciting culture, so a two way tie for this.

This could be the first time ever when Bangkok and Buenos Aires were mentioned together.

C- Chicago USA/Copenhagen Denmark: Chicago is so underrated compared to New York City and is better than NYC in plenty of ways while offering most of what New York City has, so I had to include it.

I love Scandinavia, and I enjoy how the cities there seem so peaceful, laid back/easy going/relaxing but also vibrant and with a lot of fun. Scandinavian culture as a whole seems more pleasant, easily more intellectual, less cons, and less extremes compared to American culture.

D- Denver USA: This one was difficult to choose for. It was a close competition between Denver, Dubai, and Delhi.

E-Edinburgh UK Scotland

F-Florence Italy: Florence is not my favorite Italian city but there were no other options for letter F. My favorite Italian cities are Genoa, Sanremo, Trento, Milan, Turin, Rome, Venice, and Trieste.

G-Grenoble France/Geneva Switzerland: Grenoble is an excellent, pleasant, and visually beautiful city/town in the French Alps. I am surprised it is not talked about more internationally but then again maybe that is good so it doesn’t get too crowded and is preserved just for the best people. I also equally appreciate Geneva and have to include that too.

H-Hong Kong China

I-Innsbruck Austria: Reminds me of Grenoble, except it is a more known city/town and it is Austrian.

J-Jiufen Taiwan

K-Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

L- Lyon France: It might be a surprise I did not select London, but this time in my life I am just not that enthusiastic with London. I found out about Lyon’s existence recently, and I am so glad I know how amazing that city is.

M: Montreal Canada: Maybe Quebec should just join the country of France. Just joking. It is good that Canada has such a unique region of North America with Montreal.

N: Nice France/New York City USA: I still enjoy some areas of New York City but New York City as a whole is so overrated and I am in a phase of my life where I don’t want to be in NYC. I prefer to be in places such as the French Mediterranean city/town of Nice for this time of my life. However, I say it is a two way tie between both of them overall.

O: Osaka Japan

P: Paris France/Phuket Thailand/Portland Oregon: I view Paris to be better than New York City and London for quality of life. I also enjoy Portland and Phuket a lot, so this was a three way tie.

Q: No inviting options with letter Q for my personal preferences

R: No options for letter R, but a lot of places for visiting.

S: Seattle USA/Shanghai China/Singapore

T: Taipei Taiwan.

U: None for living but there are options for visiting.

V: Vienna Austria/Vancouver Canada

W: Washington DC, even though I don’t have interest in politics, finding politics in the USA to be overrated/repetitive, and too many people being delusional and overly idealistic for what the political system can do for them.

X: None.

Y: Ystad Sweden: A rural town in the southern coast of Sweden with close one day/weekend trip proximity to Copenhagen is good enough for me. I want to try out rural small town living eventually again, especially when I am older in retirement years. However for this time in my life for 21 years old, I prefer at least a medium sized city.

Z: Zurich Switzerland

Old 11-18-2012, 11:43 AM

I already said the places for Living 1 year+ in the post above this one.

For this post, it is for the separate category of Vacation/Visiting:

A- Astana Kazakhstan/Almaty Kazakhstan: I also equally want to visit Amsterdam but I included that in the living category.

B- Bucharest Romania: This is entirely because I have a lot of family members in Romania in Bucharest, Constanta, and Tuzla. I feel connected to family members and to continue relations with them but I don’t feel close at all to my parent's Romanian heritage/Romania. I don't feel like I have any personal Romanian identity and I feel 100% like a foreigner when I visit Romania.

When people that don’t know my heritage try to guess that, they usually think it is Dutch, Danish, or French heritage with American nationality.

Then again, my nationality can also be guessed wrong. When I visited Canada a lot of people thought I was Canadian nationality, and sometimes in the USA and other countries I was mistaken for Canadian nationality.

C- Constanta Romania

D- Delhi India/Dubai UAE/Dushanbe Tajikistan

E- Esbjerg Denmark

F- Fukuoka Japan

G- Grenoble France/Geneva Switzerland

H- Hong Kong China

I- Innsbruck Austria

J- Jiufen Taiwan

K- Kyoto Japan/ Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

L- London UK England/Lyon France: London is more of a place to visit and not a place to live in long term for this time of my life. Lyon is for both living and visiting.

M- Mumbai India/Melbourne Australia: I know I would like visiting these cities but I was undecided for if I want to live there or not compared to Montreal.

N- Nice France/Noumea France New Caledonia: Most people know about the city of Nice in Southern France and how high quality, and classy it is and being the epitome of coastal luxury and wealth.

However, most people don’t know about New Caledonia in Oceania and that it is technically part of France and kind of like France’s version of Hawaii. That is similar to French Polynesia, and Reunion. France has fascinating, exhilarating, unique tropical islands and they appear so unknown to the World, yet Hawaii being part of the USA is a lot more known. Noumea is a city in New Caledonia.

O: Oslo Norway.

P: Paris France/Phuket Thailand/Portland Oregon

Q: Qingdao China: Qingdao is one of those unknown major Chinese cities, and from what I found out about Qingdao, it appears to be intriguing and fun for visiting. However, I am not sure for living in, so I decided not to include Qingdao in that other category.

R: Rome Italy/Rio de Janeiro Brazil: Good for visiting, but not nearly as much for living in for my personal preferences.

S: Seattle USA/Shanghai China/Singapore

T: Taipei Taiwan/Tbilisi Georgia: The city of Tbilisi in the Caucasus Eurasian country of Georgia. No way would I ever want to visit the state of Georgia in the USA.

U: Urumqi China

V: Vienna Austria: I already visited Vancouver and loved it but I rather visit Vienna for the first time before visiting Vancouver again.

W: Wuhan China: I won’t be giving Washington DC any tourist money anytime soon because of the political mess DC is in and being a disappointment to the USA for politics.

X: Xi’an China

Y: Ystad Sweden: Only if I can also visit Stockholm, Gothenburg, and Copenhagen on the same trip.

Z: Zurich Switzerland

Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Same rules like in the other thread.

Live (2 years):
A - Atlanta
B - Barcelona
C - Coral Springs
D - Dallas
E - Eindhoven
F - Fort Lauderdale
G - Glendale (California)
H - Hong Kong
I - Incheon
J - Jersey City
K - Kobe
L - Los Angeles
M - Miami
N - New York City
O - Osaka
P - Paris
Q - Quebec City
R - Rome
S - San Francisco
T - Tokyo
U - Utrecht
V - Vancouver
W - Washington D.C.
X - I don't want to live in China
Y - Yokohama
Z - Zurich

Holiday (20 days):
A - Acapulco
B - Buenos Aires (Already been to Bangkok)
C - Chicago
D - Dubai
E - Edinburgh
F - Florence
G - Gold Coast
H - Honolulu
I - Istanbul
J - Jerusalem
K - Kyoto
L - Las Vegas (Already been to London)
M - Melbourne
N - Nice
O - Orlando
P - Prague
Q - Quezon City
R - Rio de Janeiro
S - Sao Paulo
T - Toronto
U - Ulaanbaatar
V - Valencia
W - Willemstad
X - Really don't know
Y - ?
Z - Zagreb
A Dutch person choosing Atlanta before Amsterdam!? What happened with Amsterdam for you?

I am also surprised by some of the American cities you choose such as Coral Springs, Dallas, Fort Lauderdale, Glendale, Jersey City, Miami, and Orlando.

I would choose a lot of international cities before I would go with those.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Live (2 years):
A - Amsterdam
B - Buenos Aires
C - Copenhagen
D - Dublin
E - Edimburg
F - Florence
G - Grenoble
H - Helsinki
I - Istanbul
J - Johannesburg
K - K
L - London!
M - Madrid
N - New York City
O - Oslo
P - Paris
Q - Quebec
R - Rome
S - San Francisco
T - Turin
U - Usuhaia
V - Venice
W - Wellington
X -
Y -
Z - Zurich

this is too hard, ill do vacation later
This is an intellectually stimulating and fun topic game, but it's not quite as easy and quick to post for this as it appears at first.

You also joined the secret Grenoble club. We can have Grenoble all to ourselves for the best people and not have Grenoble get too crowded.

Interesting you selected Ushuaia for letter U.

I wonder what other Argentine cities are like such as Cordoba, Rosario, Mar Del Plata, Mendoza, Salta, Comodoro Rivadavia, and Ushuaia.

Buenos Aires reminds me of a blend of Rome and Paris, but also having a lot of Spanish and Italian influence. Cordoba/Rosario seems to be like inland Spain cities. Ushuaia appears similar to Reykjavik Iceland while most northern Argentina is tropical such as Southern Brazil. Mar Del Plata seems like somewhere in coastal Portugal.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
A - Aberdeen, Scotland: Never thought about living there, but it seems to be a nice town now that I researched on it. Don't really want to live in Athens or Amsterdam. Amsterdam is definitely worth a visit, though.

B - Boston, US: Probably my favorite big city in the US; a less hectic option: Bozen, Tyrol; For vacation: Buenos Aires.

C - Copenhagen, Denmark: I love that city

D - Donostia, Spain (San Sebastian)

E - Edinburgh, Scotland

F - Florence, Italy: Way too many tourists, though.

G - Grenoble, France

H - Hong Kong, China. Helsinki is nice for a weekend.

I - Living: Innsbruck, Austria. I'm definitely considering Istanbul as my next vacation spot.

J - Jerusalem. Given the current situation in and around Israel, I don't really want to live there at the moment. But I definitely want to visit it at one point.

K - Kyoto, Japan. Probably the most beautiful city I've ever been to. Kathmandu for vacation.

L - London, England. Luang Prabang, Laos for vacation.

M - Munich, Germany

N - New York City

O - Oxford, England. Osaka for vacation.

P - Prague, Czech Republic for daily live. I'm kind of curious about Palermo.

Q - Probably Quebec City... Can't really see why people choose Quezon City besides the fact that it sounds kind of exotic.

R - Rome for everyday, Rio for holidays

S - San Francisco, US. I have mixed feelings about St. Petersburg, but I'll go with that as my vacation spot.

T - Tokyo, Japan

U - Utrecht, Netherlands. I'd use Ulanbataar as a gateway to more interesting places in Mongolia

V - Vienna For vacation: Vientiane

W - Warsaw, Poland

X - Xi'an, China

Y - Yokohama, Japan. For visiting: Yangon, Myanmar. I think it's a really beautiful country.

Z - Zurich, Switzerland. Money obviously doesn't matter. I always wanted to visit Zagreb.
Wow, you are probably the first Austrian person that posted on this website. The website does need more Austrian perspective!

Austria is one of my favorite European countries recently and I currently enjoy it significantly more than UK/England.

My top 3 favorite European countries are France, Switzerland, and Austria. UK/England for me went down below 6th place for European countries, with a noticeable decline in perception for UK/England.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
1.A Dutch person choosing Atlanta before Amsterdam!? What happened with Amsterdam for you?

2.I am also surprised by some of the American cities you choose such as Coral Springs, Dallas, Fort Lauderdale, Glendale, Jersey City, Miami, and Orlando.
I would choose a lot of international cities before I would go with those.
1.After living 22 years in the Netherlands and traveling 16 different countries over 4 continents i found out that i feel much more comfortable with people from other countries around me than Dutch people.

2.Really love Florida and New York, i think i would like it in the LA area too.
Don't know about Dallas tho, seemed to be the best option out of the list

Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
1.After living 22 years in the Netherlands and traveling 16 different countries over 4 continents i found out that i feel much more comfortable with people from other countries around me than Dutch people.

2.Really love Florida and New York, i think i would like it in the LA area too.
Don't know about Dallas tho, seemed to be the best option out of the list
Dutch people are some of the best people in the world based on nationality, and rank very high for that, so that is surprising you said that.

For the list and this topic you still choose the Dutch towns of Eindhoven and Utrecht, yet you didn’t choose Amsterdam. The city of Amsterdam is very international, so you could easily be around people that are not Dutch over there and Amsterdam is a lot more fun than Atlanta. Maybe you just need a break from living in the Netherlands to appreciate it more.

I actually am more comfortable around Dutch people and some other nationalities compared to Americans. However, Americans don’t rank that low and I would give them a good enough rank, especially for people in California, and Pacific Northwest.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Dutch people are some of the best people in the world based on nationality, and rank very high for that, so that is surprising you said that.

For the list and this topic you still choose the Dutch towns of Eindhoven and Utrecht, yet you didn’t choose Amsterdam. The city of Amsterdam is very international, so you could easily be around people that are not Dutch over there and Amsterdam is a lot more fun than Atlanta. Maybe you just need a break from living in the Netherlands to appreciate it more.

I actually am more comfortable around Dutch people and some other nationalities compared to Americans. However, Americans don’t rank that low and I would give them a good enough rank, especially for people in California, and Pacific Northwest.
what does that even mean? you do realize that "good people" and "bad people" is extraordinarily subjective, do you?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Quote:

You rank people a lot do you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World