Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Arabs are...
People from Arabic-speaking countries 27 57.45%
People from the Arabian Peninsula, the Levant, the Maghreb and the Sahara 3 6.38%
People from the Arabian Peninsula, the Levant and the Sahara 0 0%
People from the Arabian Peninsula, the Levant and the Maghreb 1 2.13%
People from the Arabian Peninsula and the Levant 2 4.26%
People from the Arabian Peninsula 14 29.79%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:46 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times

Advertisements

in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 01:57 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Originally exclusively from the Arabian peninsula by have spread and mixed with other peoples.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:37 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
I voted people from Arabic speaking countries, but what I really consider Arabs are native Arabic speakers from Arabic speaking communities, so including Arabic speakers in Iran and excluding non-Arabs in majority Arab countries, like Kurds and Turkmen in Syria and culturally and linguistically Berber groups in the Maghreb. Ethnic origin doesn't matter for my definition, culture and mother tongue does.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:01 PM

725 posts, read 805,991 times
North Africa was heavily populated by whites (with some Berber groups also) as were countries in present day Syria and etc. Arabs later went from Saudi Arabia and that part of the world and conquered North Africa along the Mediterranean even going as far as France via Spain and up near to Venice from the other side. Those who talk about white colonialism don't know what the Arabs did.

I say it is inaccurate to call people Arab if they speak and Arab dialect because of the history of Arab conquest. There are still some whites in those lands as well as Berbers and Jews. In the 19th century much of North Africa was settled by whites (I can't call it colonialism because these were white lands to begin with. The Sahara separated Africa) so there was some immigration. Things like language or culture anyone can adopt. How one looks is a function of genes: it's concrete.

The best way to determine if someone is an Arab is to look at him or her. Look for the common Arab facial features, common Arab hair texture and skin color. Obviously with the degree of mixing and the fact that Arabs are not a main race like whites, Asians and blacks, it can get confusing. Id say 99% of time you can easily spot an Arab vs a white person.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
By general convention, Arab means a member of an Arabic-speaking culture. Arabian would be an adjective referring only to the Arabian peninsula.

It is similar to the convention about the word Hispanic, which now refers to anyone who is from a Spanish-speaking country, even though many of them have no Spanish ancestry at all and can't even speak Spanish, being full-blooded indigenous, especially in countries like Guatemala and Bolivia.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:44 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
People from the Arabian Peninsula and the Gulf (Kuwait and parts of Southern Iraq).

Most Lebanese, Jordanian and Syrian people have a near-eastern ancestry (Levant, Phoenician and Assyrian to some extent). A few do have Arab admixture, but that doesn't mean they would be ethnically Arab because of the few that do.

Those of North Africa (Egyptians, Maghreb) seem to be mixed, having Southern European, Arab and even Subsaharan roots.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:11 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
North Africa was heavily populated by whites (with some Berber groups also) as were countries in present day Syria and etc. Arabs later went from Saudi Arabia and that part of the world and conquered North Africa along the Mediterranean even going as far as France via Spain and up near to Venice from the other side. Those who talk about white colonialism don't know what the Arabs did.

I say it is inaccurate to call people Arab if they speak and Arab dialect because of the history of Arab conquest. There are still some whites in those lands as well as Berbers and Jews. In the 19th century much of North Africa was settled by whites (I can't call it colonialism because these were white lands to begin with. The Sahara separated Africa) so there was some immigration. Things like language or culture anyone can adopt. How one looks is a function of genes: it's concrete.

The best way to determine if someone is an Arab is to look at him or her. Look for the common Arab facial features, common Arab hair texture and skin color. Obviously with the degree of mixing and the fact that Arabs are not a main race like whites, Asians and blacks, it can get confusing. Id say 99% of time you can easily spot an Arab vs a white person.
Arabs are Semitic like the Jews, and the latter has diversity: Ashekenaz (Central and Eastern European), Sephardi (Southern European and North African Jews), and Mizrahi Jews (Middle Eastern). Just like not all Jews are pasty white, not all Arabs are dark skinned and could be mistaken as "white" as well.

The last part of your post was what the Nazis described Jewish people when they rounded them up because they had slight Mideastern traits that define them (Jews are descendants of Hebrews who hailed from the Middle East, like the Arabs). In fact, a few racist German and French people called me a dirty Jew because of my distinct appearance, even though I was not raised Jewish and I am a atheist.

Last edited by FBF; 12-06-2015 at 04:21 AM..

Old 12-06-2015, 09:41 AM

62 posts, read 64,325 times
Egyptians aren't arabs, so there's that. You would have to look up on the dna of every of those countries. Either that or go with arab peninsula.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:17 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apekonge View Post
Egyptians aren't arabs, so there's that.
Well, I suppose you might want to at least discuss this with whoever it was who decided to give the modern state of Egypt the full name of The Arab Republic of Egypt.

Which sort of hints at why the OP's poll is so ridiculous - like many identity-related groupings, who is or isn't an Arab is determined by a mixture of geography, language, culture, genetics, and possibly other things. There is likely to be much disagreement among those who have thought about such things on exactly how different factors should be considered and weighed up, but I don't think anyone whose given this serious thought will conclude that it's something that can be determined by geography alone.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:21 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,923 times
Common belief: anyone who originates from an Arabic-speaking country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World