Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All the more reason to shop and support locally owned and operated businesses.

I avoid franchises and chains as much as possible (with the exceptions of Pier One, Dillards, Chicos, Central Market, World Market - a few chains like that which have still held on to unique style and quality). I especially avoid restaurant chains, and I rarely eat fast food - no matter what country I'm in.

Why go to the Olive Garden when you can go to Bernards in Tyler, Texas?

Bernard Mediterranean Restaurant- Tylerites - Your guide to everything Tyler

Why go to Taco Bell when you can go to Taqueria El Lugar?

Why go to Chilis when you can go to Nanny Goats?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...54958999_n.jpg

Why go to PF Changs when you can go to Julians?

Julian’s Asian Diner- Tylerites - Your guide to everything Tyler

Why go to McDonald's when you can go to Jucys?

Jucys Hamburgers - Voted Best Burger in East Texas
Jucy's Hamburgers, Tyler - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

While I agree, supporting local business is great, you should compare apples to apples. Comparing fast food to a sit down place benefits neither argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 PM

261 posts, read 512,724 times
I will admit that those pics before me of the fast food chains else where are damn impressive...all of that for a mc.d, burger king....wow they look so damn cool......why didn't they even try with out establishments....we so got the short end of the stick here.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
You have to go to locally-owned shops that aren't part of a national or regional chain. They have a lot more personality, and are more fun.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I have to say that the McDonald shops in Poland ( used them for free Wi-Fi) are better decorated and furnished than those I saw in the US, but even in the US they differ from region to region and some are really nice.
Best MacDonald's Restaurants
McDonald’s Interiors in France / Patrick Norguet | ArchDaily
McDonald's International: Top Ten Most Unusual Around the World - AOL Travel News
That French one is ugly and doesn't even look like McDonalds.

I don't live in America, the McDonalds here all look the same. Here are two local ones:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mcdona...,290.1,,0,1.86
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mcdona...,211.9,,0,1.24

Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
I think McDonald's is more of a kids restaurant and the building should reflect that. It should have bright colours (red, green, yellow), balloons, a playground, etc. I used to love it when I was a kid! There are plenty of fancy restaurants around if that's what you're looking for but McDonald's is not it.

This is what the McDonald's nearest to my home looks like:

It's in a small town so the building isn't that big but I like it! There's a playground on the outside as well but I couldn't find a picture of it.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
I think that may be because fast food is cheap food and people who go to them here (in theUSA) aren't looking for ambience.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I prefer to make my own fun. Preferably outside of fast-food restaurants.

Also, that first Columbus, Ga restaurant is quite nice (way nice for the quality of food served), but the second one is fugly as all get out. I would probably cause a crash from the burst of laughing if I drove past that one.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I think McDonald's is more of a kids restaurant and the building should reflect that. It should have bright colours (red, green, yellow), balloons, a playground, etc. I used to love it when I was a kid! There are plenty of fancy restaurants around if that's what you're looking for but McDonald's is not it.

This is what the McDonald's nearest to my home looks like:

It's in a small town so the building isn't that big but I like it! There's a playground on the outside as well but I couldn't find a picture of it.
I don't know about you, but in my local McDonalds I see quite alot of elderly people. Lots of people come there at lunch too.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All the more reason to shop and support locally owned and operated businesses.

I avoid franchises and chains as much as possible (with the exceptions of Pier One, Dillards, Chicos, Central Market, World Market - a few chains like that which have still held on to unique style and quality). I especially avoid restaurant chains, and I rarely eat fast food - no matter what country I'm in.

Why go to the Olive Garden when you can go to Bernards in Tyler, Texas?

Bernard Mediterranean Restaurant- Tylerites - Your guide to everything Tyler

Why go to Taco Bell when you can go to Taqueria El Lugar?

Why go to Chilis when you can go to Nanny Goats?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...54958999_n.jpg

Why go to PF Changs when you can go to Julians?

Julian’s Asian Diner- Tylerites - Your guide to everything Tyler

Why go to McDonald's when you can go to Jucys?

Jucys Hamburgers - Voted Best Burger in East Texas
Jucy's Hamburgers, Tyler - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor
I've always wondered this too. Chain sit-down restaurants offer better discounts and "loss leader" deals, but other than the discounted meals, why are they always so full and (most) local restaurants always have less than half the tables occupied when they offer meals at a similar price? The Indian Palace in Duluth has a $9.99 all-you-can-eat buffet which is not that great but better than Old Country Buffet's from 11 to 2:30, but I hardly ever see more than two tables with diners. Compare that with Old Country Buffet (which charges something like $14 now for their dinner buffet), which often is packed. The strangest is that most people SAY they prefer local, independent restaurants to national chains, but their behavior seems to indicate otherwise.

With standardized fast-food, however, there's no comparison, and as a previous poster said, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Local places serving up hamburgers and fries generally aim for a higher product quality than the dollar menu at McDonalds, and this is reflected in their prices. I don't know about Jucy's, but I would compare most of the local burger joints to Five Guys rather than McD's.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I've always wondered this too. Chain sit-down restaurants offer better discounts and "loss leader" deals, but other than the discounted meals, why are they always so full and (most) local restaurants always have less than half the tables occupied when they offer meals at a similar price? The Indian Palace in Duluth has a $9.99 all-you-can-eat buffet which is not that great but better than Old Country Buffet's from 11 to 2:30, but I hardly ever see more than two tables with diners. Compare that with Old Country Buffet (which charges something like $14 now for their dinner buffet), which often is packed. The strangest is that most people SAY they prefer local, independent restaurants to national chains, but their behavior seems to indicate otherwise.
The problem here with the buffets (mostly Chinese) is, that the food sucks, it still costs about 9€ and you have to stay for a long time compared to the other lunch restaurants, where they have lunch deals for about 5€ per portion (which is enough, no need for multiple servings at a buffet). Most people just don't have time for a buffet.
But those small restaurants in Vienna, that serve only the office lunch crowd are really good. Mostly organic, high quality, also for take away. Their business is booming.
At the same time, we have a McD right next to the university. There are always a lot of people in there, mostly students that have no time for lunch. They just hurry across the street grab a couple of 1€ burgers and head back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World