Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:46 AM

877 posts, read 2,013,563 times

Advertisements

I don't think "fun" is really the word to put it but food chains here seem to have really dull ambiances and atmospheres. I've seen some of the menu items from the same chains in other countries and they're so articulated - like in Hong Kong, there are many drinks (not fountain drinks) from fast food places like KFC and McDonald's, it makes our fast food places look like dump and their Haagen Dazs look like something served at Max Brenners! In Australia, they even have a Lindt Chocolate Shop with so many nice desserts!

Okay, I'm not trying to make this a all-food topic but are American shops really all about that "get your stuff and go" type and not about experience? I can't say this for all shops since there are places out there with real nice experiences (very few, though) but it seems like all these chains are kind of played-out and strictly consumerism, maybe even robotic at times because sales people don't expect better and customers also don't expect better sometimes.

Why is that these chains we have here are better in other countries? Do people really not care about consumers here as much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 12:55 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
I have to say that the McDonald shops in Poland ( used them for free Wi-Fi) are better decorated and furnished than those I saw in the US, but even in the US they differ from region to region and some are really nice.
http://www.travelvivi.com/best-macdonalds-restaurants/
http://www.archdaily.com/189754/mcdo...trick-norguet/
http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/09/0...und-the-world/

Old 12-02-2012, 07:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Because "fun" is important only to the shallow, and most people have more relevant values that they seek in their lives. Furthermore, not everyone thinks the same things are "fun".

Nothing is more annoying, when one is living a perfectly contented and fulfilling lifestyle, than to have somebody ask you "Why don't you like to have fun?" and hand you a party hat and a whistle.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
You get what you pay for. I don't think ambiance goes w/ fast food.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
From another thread on this forum:

Burger Kings in Columbus, GA:

The Burger Kings in Columbus:A work of ART.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
I did find a generic boringness to a lot of American chains. Like those CVS pharmacies, what's with them? Makes me feel like a communist countries. For their size American cities tend to underwhelm.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
I never really thought that fast food restaurants are fun. I just go there for a burger and leave after a couple of minutes. That's why I'm not a big fan of Starbucks or the McCafés in Austria. I don't want to sit there for hours and sip on a cup of coffee. Most of them have pretty sweet interior designs, but don't really have what I'd call atmosphere.

If I want to have proper "atmosphere", I just go to a real restaurant.

Burger King in Vienna. Technically the building is awesome. It still lacks flair because of the fact it's a chain... Not "cozy" at all. Nor really impressive.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
All the more reason to shop and support locally owned and operated businesses.

I avoid franchises and chains as much as possible (with the exceptions of Pier One, Dillards, Chicos, Central Market, World Market - a few chains like that which have still held on to unique style and quality). I especially avoid restaurant chains, and I rarely eat fast food - no matter what country I'm in.

Why go to the Olive Garden when you can go to Bernards in Tyler, Texas?

Bernard Mediterranean Restaurant- Tylerites - Your guide to everything Tyler

Why go to Taco Bell when you can go to Taqueria El Lugar?

Why go to Chilis when you can go to Nanny Goats?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...54958999_n.jpg

Why go to PF Changs when you can go to Julians?

Julian’s Asian Diner- Tylerites - Your guide to everything Tyler

Why go to McDonald's when you can go to Jucys?

Jucys Hamburgers - Voted Best Burger in East Texas
Jucy's Hamburgers, Tyler - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM

261 posts, read 512,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All the more reason to shop and support locally owned and operated businesses.

Why go to PF Changs when you can go to Julians?
What an ignorant thing to say...You clearly have never had their Fire Cracker Shrimp followed by their Mongolian Beef and on special occasions the moose cake....Did I mention their oriental mojito. Dear god some of the posers here are just so damn pretentious at times I just cant....

Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
From another thread on this forum:

Burger Kings in Columbus, GA:

The Burger Kings in Columbus:A work of ART.
What is so special about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World