Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 12:02 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this in a previous thread where it seems like some cities have a well-defined and commonly agreed upon centers for their cities, but some don't.

I live in New York City, and I honestly don't know if there's a real set and understood center. There's a fairly obscure marker in Woodside Queens that denotes it as a geographic center and the city says the center is somewhere in Bushwick, Brooklyn, but most people would probably agree that it's not really the geographic center that matters so much as a commonly agreed upon center of activity. For that, it's probably somewhere in Manhattan and below Central Park, but I don't think there will be a majority of people who would agree on a single location. There's probably a healthy split between Union Square and Times Square with a lot of other options people might mention like Madison Square Park and the Flatiron building or Herald Square.

Does your city have a well-defined and commonly agreed upon center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 08:20 PM

899 posts, read 518,916 times
Most people seem to think Market and Van Ness. Google Maps even agrees because directions from "San Francisco" just mean Market and Van Ness.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:45 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
In most Australian Cities I believe its the General post office.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:02 PM

8,865 posts, read 8,446,442 times
I would say it's the east (Taipei 101 and environs), but some people would say it's the central (Taipei main station and environs). Tbh everything in between feels pretty center. They are like 12 mins away by underground though so the debate is a bit pointless. The city is so cramped I feel like there's not really a clearly defined centre.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:21 PM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I think, most bigger cities have an area called downtown where commerce, entertainment, shopping, and political power are concentrated. In older cities,
city centre is often the first settled part of a city.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think, most bigger cities have an area called downtown where commerce, entertainment, shopping, and political power are concentrated. In older cities,
city centre is often the first settled part of a city.

Right, and some have names saying as much. It's interesting to me when a city has a very defined and specific center. Van Ness and Market for SF was mentioned earlier and is a very specific spot in the city. Another one I know of is Philadelphia with Philadelphia City Hall which figures very prominently as part of the street grid and rises to a point with a statue of William Penn. London I've heard to be also very specific with the Charles I statue in Trafalgar Square.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:36 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I live in New York City, and I honestly don't know if there's a real set and understood center. There's a fairly obscure marker in Woodside Queens that denotes it as a geographic center and the city says the center is somewhere in Bushwick, Brooklyn, but most people would probably agree that it's not really the geographic center that matters so much as a commonly agreed upon center of activity. For that, it's probably somewhere in Manhattan and below Central Park, but I don't think there will be a majority of people who would agree on a single location. There's probably a healthy split between Union Square and Times Square with a lot of other options people might mention like Madison Square Park and the Flatiron building or Herald Square.
For me, it is Bryant Park/NYPL in NYC.

In my home city it is historically considered the General Post Office.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
For me, it is Bryant Park/NYPL in NYC.

In my home city it is historically considered the General Post Office.

I see. Were you ever a resident of NYC? I think that there would be a pretty small proportion of New Yorkers who would agree with that assessment.

I'd think City Hall, Union Square, or even Times Square would be frontrunners and then a handful of other places would be mentioned before Bryant Park.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-07-2021 at 10:23 AM..

Old 04-07-2021, 09:11 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
The city centre of Oslo is considered to be this area.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:50 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
In Bologna the historical center is clearly defined by the 12 km long boulevard ring, which once was walled. All the area inside is considered as the center, which is relatively big (4,5 sq km) but small compared to the total area of the city (140 sq km)

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centro_storico_di_Bologna
Total area

The weird thing is that for many people, the center equals the city, and everything else is kind of a suburb even though we're talking about neighborhoods located just about 1km from the main square (piazza maggiore).

There's that weird thing where Bolognese people only know their own neighborhood and the center (if they don't live in the center already), and that's pretty much it. For many people it's strange to venture out of the center, although lately it's starting to change because of the pandemic and the need to be in greener areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World