Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:15 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,148,279 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen walking videos for some of Tokyo's neighborhoods...seriously, this city is full of energy and very electric...easily feel larger than NYC, London, and Paris. If you think Times Square is impressive, you have to see some of these videos...there are like 10+ different areas that look very similar to Times Square alone in Tokyo.

Akiba - The unofficial anime capital of the world. Also the electronics/gaming district of Tokyo

Akihabara at Night (HD Video) Tokyo Japan - YouTube

Ginza - A shopping/fashion center of Tokyo

Ginza / Tokyo 2012

Rippongi - A nightlife district....generally, foreigners go here.

Sights And Sounds Of Roppongi Tokyo Japan

Shinjuku - Another nightlife and shopping center

Shinjuku By Night Tokyo Japan

Shibuya - Home to the most crowded and famous crossing.

Shibuya.. AT NIGHT! - YouTube

Harajuku - Yet another shopping center

HARAJUKU NIGHT VIEW - LAFORET etcc... - YouTube

It goes on and on. It seriously makes NYC look small. Anyone in awe over just how vast this city is. It's incredible. I find it surreal that a city can keep this high level of vibrancy across many different areas at once. If this city wasn't so homogeneous and closed off, it would probably be the #1 city in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,472,334 times
Best of all, Tokyo is almost eerily safe, and the people are friendlier than in many other big cities.

The downside is that so much of it is so irredeemably ugly. There's a reason all of those videos were shot at night -- that's when Tokyo looks its best. Most construction in Tokyo dates from the 1950s or later, a period during which architecture was, generally, not at its finest. There are a few noteworthy and downright wacky "trophy" buildings (esp. on Odaiba), and a few temples and interesting historic neighborhoods (e.g. Asakusa) but for the most part, Tokyo is a sea of totally undistinguished, indistinguishable 8-story grey concrete blocks.

But I'd go back there in a heartbeat if I could.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:53 PM

37,233 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Yea, I love Tokyo. It's a truly amazing city. I don't find the city that closed off, and I don't think Tokyo needs to have a high degree of ethnic diversity to make an argument for being the number one city.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,961,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I love Tokyo. It's a truly amazing city. I don't find the city that closed off, and I don't think Tokyo needs to have a high degree of ethnic diversity to make an argument for being the number one city.
Of course not. Multiculturalism, diversity, and all of that BS is an entirely Western concept. Hell, even Beijing is 95% Han Chinese. It's only the Anglo-Saxon and western European nations where the capital and/or largest city has such a large percentage of people of ethnic immigrant background. Every other large city in the world is populated almost 100% by its indigenous population

Old 07-23-2013, 04:19 PM

7,491 posts, read 6,273,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Has anyone seen walking videos for some of Tokyo's neighborhoods...seriously, this city is full of energy and very electric...easily feel larger than NYC, London, and Paris. If you think Times Square is impressive, you have to see some of these videos...there are like 10+ different areas that look very similar to Times Square alone in Tokyo.

Akiba - The unofficial anime capital of the world. Also the electronics/gaming district of Tokyo

Akihabara at Night (HD Video) Tokyo Japan - YouTube

Ginza - A shopping/fashion center of Tokyo

Ginza / Tokyo 2012

Rippongi - A nightlife district....generally, foreigners go here.

Sights And Sounds Of Roppongi Tokyo Japan

Shinjuku - Another nightlife and shopping center

Shinjuku By Night Tokyo Japan

Shibuya - Home to the most crowded and famous crossing.

Shibuya.. AT NIGHT! - YouTube

Harajuku - Yet another shopping center

HARAJUKU NIGHT VIEW - LAFORET etcc... - YouTube

It goes on and on. It seriously makes NYC look small. Anyone in awe over just how vast this city is. It's incredible. I find it surreal that a city can keep this high level of vibrancy across many different areas at once. If this city wasn't so homogeneous and closed off, it would probably be the #1 city in the world.
I visited Tokyo in 1958 while I was in the US Army stationed in Korea. Your first video shows an area I visited back then, the AKIHABARA. Even in 1958 it was a giant electronic's vending area. We GI's went to the AKIHABARA to purchase the small cigarette pack size transistor radio. Even then Tokyo was an exciting city.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:13 PM

37,233 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Of course not. Multiculturalism, diversity, and all of that BS is an entirely Western concept. Hell, even Beijing is 95% Han Chinese. It's only the Anglo-Saxon and western European nations where the capital and/or largest city has such a large percentage of people of ethnic immigrant background. Every other large city in the world is populated almost 100% by its indigenous population
It's not a good or bad thing to me, really. It's just different. Your list of countries that push diversity is missing Singapore, most of the Americas, parts of the Levant, South Africa, Malaysia, maybe India (internally very diverse and with its big cities attracting people from all over India), and probably a few others.

Also, Beijing blows. Just putting that out there.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:01 PM

27,627 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

Even though I haven't been to Tokyo yet, I would expect that it's the best city in Asia.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's not a good or bad thing to me, really. It's just different. Your list of countries that push diversity is missing Singapore, most of the Americas, parts of the Levant, South Africa, Malaysia, maybe India (internally very diverse and with its big cities attracting people from all over India), and probably a few others.

Also, Beijing blows. Just putting that out there.
OyCrumbler, diversity in this context means people of ethnic immigrant background. Most of Latin America has very small numbers of foreigners living in them. It's the same reason why I do not count, and most Americans for that matter, do not count majority black cities in America as diverse. Most of Latin America is not diverse at all. Maybe I have a different concept of it than you, since I am from Latin America, but most of our countries are populated by the same people that have been living there for many generations. In other words, multiculturalism/diversity is how many 1st generation foreigners live in a particular place. The amount is extremely small outside of western Europe, Oceania, North America, and possibly the Arabian Peninsula. Not sure how many foreigners live in Singapore, but judging from the videos and pictures, doesn't look very diverse to me. Lot of Han Chinese and Malaysians. Not very diverse.

I haven't been to Beijing, but I'll take your word for it. I think the whole country blows, IMO

Old 07-24-2013, 02:51 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,472,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Koreans whose ancestors have been in Japan for 5 generations are still discriminated against. Do you find that admirable?

Japan's xenophobia will eventually cause it to sink into economic irrelevance. It refuses to admit, much less integrate, new immigrants -- so its population, economy, and global influence will continue to dwindle.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Koreans whose ancestors have been in Japan for 5 generations are still discriminated against. Do you find that admirable?

Japan's xenophobia will eventually cause it to sink into economic irrelevance. It refuses to admit, much less integrate, new immigrants -- so its population, economy, and global influence will continue to dwindle.
If anything, Japan does not need more people, it needs less. Those islands are seriously overcrowded and Japan does not have enough resources to sustain itself with that amount of population. Japan has already rejected the liberal White Man's suggestion of diversity and multiculturalism in favor of less people and more automation. Given their severe lack of space and resources, this is a wise move. Companies there will just have to accept that they'll have to pay their workers more. Oh the horror of that, spreading the wealth around via supply and demand. I wish we did the same here, maybe then our incomes will begin to rise again instead of stagnate like they have the past 40 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World