Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,409 times

Advertisements

I wonder if, in other countries apart from Spain of course, TV series, films, books, music, etc are well known?

Sometimes I go abroad and I listen some songs from Spain, or I even see some books in bookshops (specially in Europe) but what about other things??

We have most of times foreign TV programation or foreign books so I wonder where they can see or use our national "pieces"

I think Almodovar is quite famous too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Yes, Almodóvar is widely known.

I like the Spanish director Luis Buñuel, especially Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:26 PM

346 posts, read 647,620 times
At least in the United States...

Spanish cinema is usually in the art-house and university cinema circuit, and tends to do well in that limited market. There was a brief period when Almodovar films reached a slightly wider audience in the 1990s, perhaps some general screenings in the larger cities. The last "Spanish" film (not sure if it counts as a Spanish production) that I saw in wide commercial release in the U.S. was "Pan's Labyrinth." ("The Skin I Live In" might have had a limited release too).

Spanish actors have wider exposure, but in English-language films, (Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Antonio Banderas).

As far as literature, I honestly think Latin American authors in translation have wider impact.

Very little television programming from Spain appears in the United States, even on the Spanish language networks (which are overwhelmingly Latin American).

Having said that, I think someone who looks out for foreign film and literature in the U.S. will probably see about as much Spanish culture as French, Italian, or German. Thirty years ago, to many American cinephiles, France and Italy were the primary focus.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:47 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Yes, Almodóvar is widely known.
He has a new movie coming out, "I'm So Excited." It looks hilarious.

He's probably the best-known Spanish import to the U.S., with the possible exception of the Gipsy Kings back in the day... but of course they're not really Spanish anyway.

Last edited by pch1013; 05-10-2013 at 04:04 PM..

Old 05-10-2013, 03:58 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Mainstream wise, not at all. The overwhelming majority of Spanish language entertainment in the US is produced from Latin America, with Mexico being the largest exporter. The only country whose films enjoy wide exposure in the US are British films. Most Americans don't like watching subbed or dubbed movies and TV shows, unless if it's from Japan.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:00 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I wonder if, in other countries apart from Spain of course, TV series, films, books, music, etc are well known?

Sometimes I go abroad and I listen some songs from Spain, or I even see some books in bookshops (specially in Europe) but what about other things??

We have most of times foreign TV programation or foreign books so I wonder where they can see or use our national "pieces"

I think Almodovar is quite famous too.

almodovar is VERY famous here in Argentina. Luis Buñuel too, among movie lovers circles.

Many writers, and also some music artists too. Sabina haves a cult following in argentina.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:57 PM

647 posts, read 797,604 times
I like spanish scary movies like "El orfanato" or "El espinazo del diablo", especially atmosphere in the films is awesome.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:24 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
I like spanish scary movies like "El orfanato" or "El espinazo del diablo", especially atmosphere in the films is awesome.
Yes el orfanato is quite good too, and also The Others (Los Otros) with Nicole Kidman it is actually another Spanish film with American actors.

About books I reccomend you Ruiz Zafon, he has great books like Marina.

How about sitcoms ot TV series? we have plenty but not sure if they have gone further than Europe lol

Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Almodóvar and Buñuel have already been mentioned, but Spanish movies are shown quite frequently in theaters. "El orfanato" was good in the movies, but when I watched it at home, it wasn't scary at all. "Los ojos de Julia" by Guillem Morales was way better.

Drama-comedy series like "Los Serrano" and "Médico de familia" have been hugely popular in Finland. "Cuéntame", about the Franco era still probably airs.

What is weird, is that Spanish and French movies are often shown in theaters, but only a very few TV series. On the opposite, German TV shows airs all the time, but almost no German movies.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:40 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,094,084 times
Strange because as a former colony of Spain, Spanish films, books and songs should be popular in the Philippines but they are not because Filipinos cannot speak Spanish anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World