Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
. Americans need t take a class about money!
I agree. Most of them do.
What I see most people do with their money is appalling to me.
Going without whatever shiny thing catches their eye is completely foreign to most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 02:24 PM

317 posts, read 474,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
An interesting article recently on Zerohedge, quoting Michael Snyder of the Economic Collapse Blog:

I personally found these figures pretty shocking. Without getting too much into the economic complexities, what are your own spending habits like, and are they typical of the spending habits of other people in your country?
My sister, who I live with, and I currently live on a shoestring, and paycheck to paycheck. Our spending habits are nonexistent.

No cable, no fancy clothes, no expensive haircuts or products, no iPhone or other electronic gadgetry, no fancy food, no upholstered furniture... the list of things we shun goes on and on. This doesn't mean we're miserable, though; we don't miss anything we don't have. We have shelter, food, comfortable clothing, heat, plenty of hot water, and that's what counts. Luckily, internet's included with the rent... or else that would be shut off, too.

No savings, either. What we do have is a close, supportive network of family and friends. When somebody's in a tight spot, the rest of us pitch in and help them through it. That means more to me than any amount of money.

This lifestyle is definitely NOT typical of my country. There is tremendous pressure here to purchase and consume as much as possible. Commercials drum it into our heads 24/7 that in order to ace that interview/cook a successful meal/impress that hot date/raise well-behaved children/defeat gingivitis and so on, all we need to do is buy, buy, buy... and buy! And in order to buy all that stuff... you need wealth. Lots and lots of wealth. Seems like people who don't have wealth, or who don't aspire to have wealth, are looked down upon by a lot of folks.

Last edited by Sedivec; 11-27-2013 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 02:28 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
In the UK, unemployed people get £56.80 a week to help look for a job if they are under 25, £71.70 if they are over 25 - which is nothing. Depending on your situation, you'll get other benefits, and you will almost certainly get housing benefit so you don't pay full rent, but regardless, nobody on that little money can afford to buy iPhones or even alcohol. Contrary to what people think, it isn't a life of luxury. If it was, nobody would work.
Ok, that's about 270€ a month, 344€ with the higher. That's nothing in a developed country. To call these people misusers of the system or parasites just at hand is only wrong. To think you would live like a king with that amount of money is ridiculous.

In any case, I hardly think someone could buy a sports car with social benefits...

Old 11-27-2013, 02:44 PM

I've always lived from paycheck to paycheck. I don't care. I buy clothes when I want and gifts for my girlfriend when I want. I don't need a "buffer fund" for anything, if I suddenly need glasses I can borrow it from the state. Don't have kids, but why should I be saving anyway, as there's nothing to save for? I'll probably get a raise if have kids. If not, then we'll just make do.

In fact, I've never saved up for anything. I don't need a fancy car or a 40" plasma TV. I can do it though, I just don't ever had the reason to.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I've always lived from paycheck to paycheck. I don't care. I buy clothes when I want and gifts for my girlfriend when I want. I don't need a "buffer fund" for anything, if I suddenly need glasses I can borrow it from the state. Don't have kids, but why should I be saving anyway, as there's nothing to save for? I'll probably get a raise if have kids.

In fact, I've never saved up for anything. I don't need a fancy car or a 40" plasma TV. I can do it though, I just don't ever had the reason to.
Maybe it's fine to live that way in Finland. But in the U.S., it's not exactly the noblest way to live.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:51 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
In the UK, unemployed people get £56.80 a week to help look for a job if they are under 25, £71.70 if they are over 25 - which is nothing. Depending on your situation, you'll get other benefits, and you will almost certainly get housing benefit so you don't pay full rent, but regardless, nobody on that little money can afford to buy iPhones or even alcohol. Contrary to what people think, it isn't a life of luxury. If it was, nobody would work.
under 25,s only get 100 euro per week here but over 25,s get 188 euro per week , their is no time limit on benefits unlike most mainland European countries , you could be on that amount for forty years

if you have kids , you also get allowances for that
if your in rental accommodation , you get allowances for that

old age pensioners get 230 euro per week which is around double what pensioners in the uk receive on the state pension

Old 11-27-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Maybe it's fine to live that way in Finland. But in the U.S., it's not exactly the noblest way to live.
I've worked for most of my life, so don't get me wrong. And certainly I've paid more in taxes than receiving in benefits, no doubt about that. Wouldn't ever dream of living off social benefits.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:21 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
It's the culture here. It breeds mindless materialism and looks down on those who do not have. Plus you have so many people in debt because of medical bills or student loans. Many jobs do not cover the cost of living and the minimum wage is a joke.
^this

Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Naw...his generation knew how to separate wants from needs and lived a much more austere life.
So, you're saying that one income wasn't enough to live on back then? You're saying that wages have kept up with the cost of living? You're saying that the loss of manufacturing and other good paying jobs from those days had nothing to do with it? Please tell me more about your struggles.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:32 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I've always lived from paycheck to paycheck. I don't care. I buy clothes when I want and gifts for my girlfriend when I want. I don't need a "buffer fund" for anything, if I suddenly need glasses I can borrow it from the state. Don't have kids, but why should I be saving anyway, as there's nothing to save for? I'll probably get a raise if have kids. If not, then we'll just make do.

There's too much shame in being poor to live that way in the US. As usual Americans in here blame the victims (the poor themselves). This country is the poster child of rub it in your face materialism. Besides many people are in debt because of student loans or medical bills which isn't their fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World