Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,914,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My country, the US, is #1 at telling everyone else it's #1.
LOL - funny... I really don't think most Americans are like this... just a VERY vocal minority

Your post made me laugh though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,427,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
LOL - funny... I really don't think most Americans are like this... just a VERY vocal minority

Your post made me laugh though
it varies by region. In San Francisco, there are virtually none like this. In Fort-Worth Texas...

Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Is that the best you can think of? I'm pretty sure Norway tops a lot of lists in more positive ways
That was a positive way, and an important one. They are proud of the fact that they do more to enhance the dignity and wellbeing of people who would otherwise be marginalized and at risk..

Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 PM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
most expensive (construction cost) in Europe[/url] - the Parliament Palace in Bucharest
I don't think much of anything Ceausescu did is something to be proud of, just saying. Some beautiful architecture and neighborhoods in Bucharest were destroyed to create that monstrosity.

How about Romania's beautiful castles? Romania is also the richest in wildlife of any European country, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,248,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I thought we were the World's #1 sugar beet producer, but it seems that the title goes to Russia.

Still the most international visitors. And largest antidepressant consumption per capita. And foie gras production.
Doesn't France have the best health care system in the world? I think I read that somewhere, could be an outdated ranking though. I wouldn't be surprised if France is the most ethnically diverse country in Europe either (though it's hard to find statistics on that).

Quote:
Though it makes the agriculture one even more impressive. Yes a lot of these exports are high value agricultural products, much more valuable than, say, wheat, but that's still an achievement given the size of the country. The Dutch are #1 at using their land efficiently.
Yep, another one on the list I don't think many people associate The Netherlands with agriculture or nature (we also have 20+ natural parks).

Btw, France is #2 in agriculture exports

Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 PM

30 posts, read 45,454 times
Number One largest dEveloped country in the world

Old 08-07-2013, 09:51 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,568,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think much of anything Ceausescu did is something to be proud of, just saying. Some beautiful architecture and neighborhoods in Bucharest were destroyed to create that monstrosity.
Yes, some wonderful neighborhoods were razed, with tens of historical churches and synagogues (the Jewish neighborhoods were mostly destroyed). The building (Parliament Palace), nevertheless, is beautiful and incredibly richly decorated. Some 800 architects worked at it and everything is Romanian, from the origin of the materials to the design and labour force. Is not kitschy as some myths persist in the minds of many.

Quote:
How about Romania's beautiful castles? Romania is also the richest in wildlife of any European country, if I'm not mistaken.
We have few castles, can't compare with most western countries. Wildlife yes, Romania is the richest, if considered the big canivores. Also we have the chance of having perhaps the only intact mountain forests in Europe, as most nations have felled down theirs in middle age and later. And this is not entirely a natural thing (as Linda ironically pointed out, if I'm not wrong), it is also because of a mentality of Romanians to respect nature and to rewildering programs during communist period.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,543,823 times
Netherlands is an AWESOME country. Probably the best one in the world.

Wait, i found a REAL thing in where Argentina is the best (i admit soccer was a bit of a stretch -though it will be real next year): ICE CREAM.

Yeah, not many people know this, but we have the best ice cream in the world (certified). Yeah, i ve been in Italy last year and it cant even compare.

I think ice cream is a good reason to be proud

And best soccer player in the world!

And horse meat (?) apprently according to that link someone posted

And first country in the Americas to legalize same sex marriage?? Hey, thats something

Old 08-07-2013, 10:39 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,451,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
And first country in the Americas to legalize same sex marriage?? Hey, thats something

If you don't count Canada doing it first, that is.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:19 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,914,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
If you don't count Canada doing it first, that is.
Concur - Canada was the first country in the Western Hemisphere, the first country outside of Europe and the fourth country to approve same sex marriage from coast to coast. Argentina did the same - 5 years after Canada...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World