Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:06 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

It's one thing to compliment a person's proficiency in a foreign language, it's another thing to say that they suck at speaking the language.

I can think of a few occasions where my accent was insulted, but only one in which my proficiency was really insulted. An Ecuadorian or Peruvian vendor in Monteverde, Costa Rica told me, in English, I believe, "your Spanish needs practice".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 04:12 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
After living in Belgium for a few months and picking up a bit of Dutch, I traveled to the Netherlands and had someone tell me I had a Flemish accent.

Then I moved to the Netherlands and became fairly fluent in Dutch; on a trip back to Belgium, someone told me I had a Dutch accent.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:13 PM

57 posts, read 181,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It's one thing to compliment a person's proficiency in a foreign language, it's another thing to say that they suck at speaking the language.

I can think of a few occasions where my accent was insulted, but only one in which my proficiency was really insulted. An Ecuadorian or Peruvian vendor in Monteverde, Costa Rica told me, in English, I believe, "your Spanish needs practice".
Sometimes people want to help you to improve the language. If that is the case ask them to help. It works.
Sometimes people only speak one language and have NO idea how difficult it is to become fluent, takes several years to even become proficient. I have been learning Italian for 7 years and still am not fluent and yes some Italians have looked at me with disgust when I make a mistake LOL. But I have thick skin and not shy so I don't care if I look like a fool .

Old 01-09-2014, 04:13 PM

844 posts, read 1,064,118 times
Several times, mostly from Mexicans with a similar or even worse pronunciation than mine. Ironic.
I don't think I've had the same issue with native English and French speakers.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Not me, but my mother. She can speak a bit of Mandarin, which was helpful in China. To me it sounds like she's fluent, but often in China people will say things like 'your Chinese is very basic', 'I can tell you're not from here' - they're very direct like that, the Chinese.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:44 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by november4 View Post
Sometimes people want to help you to improve the language. If that is the case ask them to help. It works.
Sometimes people only speak one language and have NO idea how difficult it is to become fluent, takes several years to even become proficient. I have been learning Italian for 7 years and still am not fluent and yes some Italians have looked at me with disgust when I make a mistake LOL. But I have thick skin and not shy so I don't care if I look like a fool .
Good luck with your studies (if you need help don't hesitate to contact me) and don't bother with stupid people.
Overall in Italy I found that Italians are quite friendly to foreigners (above all tourists and non immigrants) who learn or just try to speak Italian.
Most times people don't realise how hard can be to achieve a certain level of proficiency in a language.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:45 PM

156 posts, read 287,547 times
Ha. Yes. I remember trying to borrow a stapler at an Internet cafe in Paris and I didn't know the French word for it. I had to describe the object in a roundabout fashion and the proprietor clearly wasn't pleased with me not knowing that one single word in the language. He pointed his chin to a student sitting at the far end of the cafe and said, "his French is better than yours, huh." mistaking me for a student in Paris and seemingly satisfied that he had demoralized me. I shrugged my shoulders and replied, "but I'm just a tourist."

Last edited by lepillow; 01-09-2014 at 08:06 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
I speak Spanish reasonably well but I do make a lot of mistakes but Spanish speakers are always patient with me.

I also speak very rudimentary Italian and German (similar level in both languages) but for some reason Italians are much more patient with me than Germans. Germans don't seem to want to hear me even try to speak their language.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
I once had a French tourist in the hotel I worked in mock me for not knowing French, then tell me that Americans are the only people in the world who don't speak more than one language, and that everyone else in the world laughed at us for this.

I immediately snapped a slight bow and told them in Japanese that they were a degenerate idiot, and told them to f'off.

Since they had absolutely no idea what I'd just said, I told them I spoke Japanese. They threw their head back, laughed, and then asked me why I didn't learn French...

Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Imagine being a Mexican-American who doesn't speak Spanish....
Family members who are more connected to Mexico will hate your guts! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World