Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:44 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

I've seen our former prime minister, John Howard, in a session of parliament house in Canberra. It's open to the public. I saw various other members there. I also saw a former minister in his government, Alexander Downer, on the street in Adelaide. I've also seen Premier Richard Court and Geoff Gallop of WA.

I've seen Queen Elizabeth II (our head of state) twice when she visited here (second time for the CHOGM event).

What present or former head of state/government have you seen in the flesh/met? Is the public allowed to sit in on parliamentary sessions.etc in your country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
I haven´t seen any of our prime ministers, but my mom has told me I met our king when I was one year old.
I ran to the front of the stage to look at the man who stood there and talked.

The parliament is open to the public.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:21 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
No but I seen the Queen in Belfast.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:18 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
I have seen King Harald once and the former Norwegian PM, Jens Stoltenberg, twice. I saw the former Foreign Secretary on the metro this week. He went from using a private jet and limo to public transport

Old 01-17-2014, 01:28 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
I've seen the former President of Finland, the King, Queen and Crown Princess of Sweden and the heir to the Clan Leader of Mogadishu. A former Prime Minister of Finland accidentally tried to drive over me when I jaywalked.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:17 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
I read a couple of courses at university with our current Foreign Minister. He was only head of the youth wing of our Conservative Party back then and I doubt he's continuing his studies right now. So I probably won't see him again

Besides that, I meet our former Chancellor Wolfgang Schüssel on a regular basis. Nice guy. The former head of The Greens was a professor at my university and continued to give lectures during his time in the parliament, which is of course open to the public.

Never really met our present Chancellor or President. On our national day everyone who wants to see them, though, can line up in front of their respective office buildings and wait till they can shake hands with them.

Former Finnish President and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Martti Ahtisaari visited us in our classroom when I studied there this summer. Funnily enough, we also saw him the night before attending an arts festival with his wife in the city centre of Helsinki

Oh yeah, and I saw the Prince of Liechtenstein giving a lecture on "The State in the Third Millennium", which was quite bizarre considering that Liechtenstein is probably one of the strictest monarchies right now in Europe.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:26 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
I have seen one president but some years later of being president. I saw 2 years ago the woman who is currently vice-president/second president.

I have seen as well some members of Royal Family, Queen Sofía and Prince and Princess Felipe and Letizia.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:35 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,703 times
I have seen a former president of Estonia Rüütel by chance. The others I haven't seen.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:37 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Former Finnish President and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Martti Ahtisaari visited us in our classroom when I studied there this summer. Funnily enough, we also saw him the night before attending an arts festival with his wife in the city centre of Helsinki
Reminds me of a good story. We have a thing called the 'Restaurant Day' once or twice a year when common people just cook and sell their products on the streets and in parks with different themes. Well, a couple of years back Martti Ahtisaari came to a random food stand at the Helsinki Esplanade Park, but all park benches and chairs were occupied, so he just put his plate on a trash can and ate standing. It's a well known fact that the President has had severe trouble with his knees and isn't always even capable of walking properly. In a minute someone came to him and offered his seat to the former President, but Mr. Ahtisaari just replied "sheeiit, this is Restaurant Day, you're supposed to do it like this!"

Equality in Finland works like this.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:31 AM

7 posts, read 10,002 times
Rajoy must die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World