Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more "western" by the Anglosphere/W.Europe's definition?
Latin America 10 34.48%
Eastern Europe 15 51.72%
Both are equally and by any definition just as western 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,405 times

Advertisements

Latin America is an offshoot of Western civilization obviously through colonialism but sometimes for whatever reason, geopolitical, cultural or otherwise, there are some people who see it as more separate from the West, when English-speaking people talk about the "West".

Also, Eastern Europe is part of Western Civilization too (Western Christendom, classical Greek and Roman heritage etc.), but again often English-speaking people try and set it apart from the "West" as defined for geopolitical reasons.

Do you think both regions belong equally to the "western world"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
By all accounts I am in the west as I am quite a bit into the western hemisphere.

But basically the west to me is North America and Western Europe.

South America is in the western world...

Old 04-16-2014, 06:31 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
I can't say which is more so I'll say equally.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:02 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Latin America. They use the Roman Alphabet and have the cultural heritage of a religion from the Western Roman Empire, Catholicism. Eastern Europe has traditionally been more Orthodox and thus separated from the West because of the schism, uses Cyrillic, and has been politically dominated by Russia which never considered itself part of the West and was for most of its history quite isolated from it. So I think Eastern Europe is on the whole more culturally European, but Latin America is more specifically Western, on the whole.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:20 AM

579 posts, read 762,261 times
Eastern Europe being Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia & Estonia?

Latin America is clearly geographically in the West but those nations listed above are closer to Western culture (for better & worse).

Old 04-17-2014, 03:39 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,322 times
Define Eastern Europe otherwise it's hard to make a decision.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
That's a tough one. Eastern Europe has a parallel but divergent history from the classically defined West, but is certainly not the orient by classical definition. In a global and modern perspective, Eastern Europe is percievably Western in many ways, though. Especially those Central European nations that some people describe as 'Eastern Europe'.

Latin America is definitely institutionally Western, but it has significant indigenous and African cultural influeneces in many parts, while being model Western in others.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:14 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Latin America. They use the Roman Alphabet and have the cultural heritage of a religion from the Western Roman Empire, Catholicism. Eastern Europe has traditionally been more Orthodox and thus separated from the West because of the schism, uses Cyrillic, and has been politically dominated by Russia which never considered itself part of the West and was for most of its history quite isolated from it. So I think Eastern Europe is on the whole more culturally European, but Latin America is more specifically Western, on the whole.
Maybe before around 1800.

But since then I view it more in terms of industrialization, and on that score the answer is clearly eastern Europe, including Russia, whose inhabitants, after some struggles, embraced it and even have advanced it further in some specializations, even to this day.

In contrast, Europeans of the pre-industrial, but circumnavigating and fire-arms era, invaded what we call today Latin America and its basically stone-age inhabitants and brought over stone-age slaves. Now, while some of them have embraced industrialization in the past 20 years or so during this the globalization of industrialization era, believe me, there are still plenty of them who perceive and measure such basics as time and risk in a very different way than what is typically considered western or rational by western measures.

I have lived in both eastern Europe and Latin America, and on the basis of the perception of time and risk I can relate on more understandable terms with an eastern European.

On the other hand, being from the western hemisphere, in the Americas as a whole I find that we share more in common a perception of space, and today's Latin Americans on the whole are more open to change in the sense of embracing modern conveniences and not being hung up on the past which sometimes imposes exasperating impediments in some European countries and in relations among them.

On that note, it may be worth mentioning that someone in another thread suggested that Russia's future is in Asia and that it should move its capital eastward to around the center of the country.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:24 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Latin America is much more westernised than Eastern Europe..

Old 04-17-2014, 02:26 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Maybe before around 1800.

But since then I view it more in terms of industrialization, and on that score the answer is clearly eastern Europe, including Russia, whose inhabitants, after some struggles, embraced it and even have advanced it further in some specializations, even to this day.

In contrast, Europeans of the pre-industrial, but circumnavigating and fire-arms era, invaded what we call today Latin America and its basically stone-age inhabitants and brought over stone-age slaves. Now, while some of them have embraced industrialization in the past 20 years or so during this the globalization of industrialization era, believe me, there are still plenty of them who perceive and measure such basics as time and risk in a very different way than what is typically considered western or rational by western measures.

I have lived in both eastern Europe and Latin America, and on the basis of the perception of time and risk I can relate on more understandable terms with an eastern European.

On the other hand, being from the western hemisphere, in the Americas as a whole I find that we share more in common a perception of space, and today's Latin Americans on the whole are more open to change in the sense of embracing modern conveniences and not being hung up on the past which sometimes imposes exasperating impediments in some European countries and in relations among them.

On that note, it may be worth mentioning that someone in another thread suggested that Russia's future is in Asia and that it should move its capital eastward to around the center of the country.
What do you mean by stone age inhabitants and stone age slaves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World