Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is it better for low income people to live?
Western/Northern Europe 21 48.84%
Canada 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:56 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Je View Post

Actually N.J. has great social welfare as well, but we have high property taxes due to greater infrastructure and greater public schools.
This is not to bash you but what do you mean by greater infrastructure and greater public schools? (Compared to any other place.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 06:30 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Actually N.J. has great social welfare as well, but we have high property taxes due to greater infrastructure and greater public schools.
NJ, great social welfare, great infrastructure, greater public schools? You must be kidding, right?

Old 05-03-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
NJ, great social welfare, great infrastructure, greater public schools? You must be kidding, right?
It does exist and is of course depressing but obviously the entire state is not like that. Only a small portion of it is.

Also, having all these poor people actually costs the state money. It is generally more expensive having poor people than rich people or even middle class people.

Finally, I notice that their roads appear to be a lot smoother than ours!

Old 05-03-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It does exist and is of course depressing but obviously the entire state is not like that. Only a small portion of it is.

Also, having all these poor people actually costs the state money. It is generally more expensive having poor people than rich people or even middle class people.

Finally, I notice that their roads appear to be a lot smoother than ours!
Much of the state is like that although slightly less worse: Newark, Philadelphia(ok, not NJ but very close in distance). If roads in Camden are smoother than where you live, Canada has serious issues. Now I am even more convinced people, whether rich or poor, are better of in Europe instead of Canada.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Much of the state is like that although slightly less worse: Newark, Philadelphia(ok, not NJ but very close in distance). If roads in Camden are smoother than where you live, Canada has serious issues. Now I am even more convinced people, whether rich or poor, are better of in Europe instead of Canada.
Yes. Road surface smoothness is an important factor in the quality of life of lower income people!

Old 05-03-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Yes. Road surface smoothness is an important factor in the quality of life of lower income people!
If they don't keep their roads, they tend not to keep other infrastructure as well. For overall quality of life, I'd say public infrastructure actually matters a a lot.

Anyway, the whole thread is going nowhere when people are calling NJ a place with great social welfare, great infrastructure and great public schools and people from Canada say their infrastructure is actually worse than Camden's. Pretty hilarious though and it makes me realize again how high our living standard and quality of life in Europe is.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:15 AM

334 posts, read 438,643 times
Quote:
This is not to bash you but what do you mean by greater infrastructure and greater public schools? (Compared to any other place.)
By infrastructure I mean our roads are generally in better shape, and great public transportation system by American standard. NJ has one of the top public schools in the U.S.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
If they don't keep their roads, they tend not to keep other infrastructure as well. For overall quality of life, I'd say public infrastructure actually matters a a lot.

Anyway, the whole thread is going nowhere when people are calling NJ a place with great social welfare, great infrastructure and great public schools and people from Canada say their infrastructure is actually worse than Camden's. Pretty hilarious though and it makes me realize again how high our living standard and quality of life in Europe is.
No one is disputing that your living standards and quality of life are high, but that does not mean it is not high elsewhere in the world as well. And that some places in the world are better than you in some respects.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 AM

334 posts, read 438,643 times
Quote:
Camden is a small town which is one of the most dangerous in America, and is 3 hours by car from me. Newark is also horrible. Those are 2 cities out of 500+ in New Jersey so you cannot assume they are all like that. I live in Bergen County....

There are many European small towns that are horrible too filled with crime, such as Malmo, Sweden; parts of Stockholm suburbs, some Paris' suburbs, etc. this is nationwide.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
By infrastructure I mean our roads are generally in better shape, and great public transportation system by American standard. NJ has one of the top public schools in the U.S.
Are you talking about a single school or the entire system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World