Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 PM

51 posts, read 135,969 times

Advertisements

Not hated but just subject of pity and ridicule, it is mostly the males too.

A lot of it is self-inflicted though. I have been around many Asian American males and they pursue academics passionately and tend to look down on others that do not. Many Asian American males I have known brag about getting into a certain school to the point of rubbing it into peoples' faces and want sympathy because they studied too hard. Not to mention a lot of Asian Americans tend to go suicidal over grades.

Not a racist but I find most Asian American men to be elitists and quite annoying. I have got along well with Asians who have come over to the US recently (immigrants) and ones in foreign countries but most Asian American males are a pain to be around, not shocked that Asian American women marry interracial at higher rates than other races of women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 02:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,955,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think American culture goes against "nerds" and women do not value "smart men" as much as in many other countries. So Asian men do not enjoy the social status they want.
Actually I was surprised that student athletes are so popular in America. In China, girls do not chase them at all.
Hanging around so many Asians the past year, and being American, this is what I have learned, preference wise (while realizing that both types are out of reach for at least half of the female population, IMO)

What Asian girls like: http://www.tenkai-japan.com/wordpres..._matsumoto.jpg

What white girls like: http://www.eachgameasitcomes.com/wp-...2/Joe_Hart.jpg

Old 06-02-2014, 02:58 PM

277 posts, read 401,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoreAmante View Post
Not hated but just subject of pity and ridicule, it is mostly the males too.

A lot of it is self-inflicted though. I have been around many Asian American males and they pursue academics passionately and tend to look down on others that do not. Many Asian American males I have known brag about getting into a certain school to the point of rubbing it into peoples' faces and want sympathy because they studied too hard. Not to mention a lot of Asian Americans tend to go suicidal over grades.

Not a racist but I find most Asian American men to be elitists and quite annoying. I have got along well with Asians who have come over to the US recently (immigrants) and ones in foreign countries but most Asian American males are a pain to be around, not shocked that Asian American women marry interracial at higher rates than other races of women.
Two words come to mind when I read your post: coping response.

Though you'll likely never admit it, there's probably something about this issue that you haven't mentioned that makes you feel insecure.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:27 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,655 times
In the US, East and sometimes Southeast Asians are not really discriminated against in the same way as Blacks and Latinos go through with law and drug enforcement.

Although, they go through many stereotypes of being nerdy; non confrontational; and submissive.

In Italy and Spain, they are called "chinos" and depending how they sound with the tone: it can be a good or bad thing.

I was called a "chino" in Italy and in the Northern parts, it was meant to be a slur and made spitting sounds when I walk by. They are either envied or hated because they tend to be well off or they have so many of them (I saw more of them in Northern Italy than Southern Italy for some reason, but do not know whether they were tourists or residents unless they are in groups with tour guides).

Old 06-02-2014, 05:36 PM

872 posts, read 1,386,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Although, they go through many stereotypes of being nerdy; non confrontational; and submissive.
This is new to me.

Quiet and studious maybe, both of which are positive stereotypes, but I don't believe this is anything to do with being servile.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:05 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,655 times
Non-Asian races tend to view them that way, especially toward females, which is why they tend to score well in the dating arena (Asian men are viewed as weak by non-Asian women, however).

And do they get a rude awakening once they are married. Asian women act all sweet and whatnot when dating, but once you are married, she basically rules the house with a strict upbringing.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:28 AM

531 posts, read 595,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Non-Asian races tend to view them that way, especially toward females, which is why they tend to score well in the dating arena (Asian men are viewed as weak by non-Asian women, however).

And do they get a rude awakening once they are married. Asian women act all sweet and whatnot when dating, but once you are married, she basically rules the house with a strict upbringing.
Yippee. (Yet) another thread full of sweeping generalities.

Let me offer my own...

among western women it's the 2's to 5's that want their men to look big and muscly in a homoerotic kind of way. The 9's and 10's seem to value general capability, economic and mental dominance (to be distinguished from run of the mill gold digging) over other characteristics so I honestly doubt these stereotypes are going to dissuade asian men from being more academically obsessed or "nerdy".

Some asian women are submissive some aren't and it varies according to culture rather than ethnicity. For those who know what to look for it's relatively easy to tell the ones that resort to faux femininity (like the Japanese kawaii) or the ones that are internally submissive (in some Korean women for example).

My 0.02c

Old 06-03-2014, 11:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,767,552 times
I don't think Chinese women are "submissive" at all.
In fact they are the most aggressive imo.

In China you can often see women scold or even beat their husband in public.
No women change their family name after getting married. It is ok, but I have known quite a few Chinese take their mother's family name, although their parents did not divorce. Some women "negotiate" with the husband: "First kid your name, second kid my name!".

Old 06-03-2014, 11:37 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,817,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I don't think Chinese women are "submissive" at all.
In fact they are the most aggressive imo.

In China you can often see women scold or even beat their husband in public.
No women change their family name after getting married. It is ok, but I have known quite a few Chinese take their mother's family name, although their parents did not divorce. Some women "negotiate" with the husband: "First kid your name, second kid my name!".
I think the stereotype applies more to other Asians, like Thais, Japanese.etc, but really, that's not really that true either.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:20 AM

30,437 posts, read 19,211,902 times
I don't think there's any discrimination or hate towards E. Asians in America. Most people want them as neighbors and workers because they're non-violent, bring up your test scores, work hard, and bring good food into the community.

As far as dating, Asian men probably have a tougher sell than white and black males but if you got game, your race doesn't matter to most women from what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World