Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions from other faiths and cultures on Merry Christmas message on web site being offensive or not, political correctness

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,801 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, does anyone take issue with the "Merry Christmas" or "Happy New Year" on the city-data site at the moment? If you're, say, muslim, or Jewish, or Chinese?

Personally, I think it's nice of city-data, though that just struck me considering it's a web site for the world - Christian or not - to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,150,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone take issue with the "Merry Christmas" or "Happy New Year" on the city-data site at the moment? If you're, say, muslim, or Jewish, or Chinese?

Personally, I think it's nice of city-data, though that just struck me considering it's a web site for the world - Christian or not - to use.
*shrug* I'm atheist, but I don't care. The users on this site are predominantly American and Americans are predominantly Christian. Goes with the territory, I won't waste time being offended by it. It's silly.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:09 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,636,069 times
I believe people are rather offended if they are treated in such a silly way. Forget political correctness by those journalists who have nothing better to do.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...0/nxmas110.xml

Political correctness is not good for other faiths and cultures. They will come under attack by ordinary people if it continues.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:25 PM

49 posts, read 380,679 times
I was raised Christian but don't really practice/celebrate xmas (no kids, not married...only go to the church xmas eve ceremony when I'm visiting with my parents, etc.), so whatever floats your boat...I don't care one way or the other.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Besides, Christmas is part of culture and customs. It's very commercial anyway. The religious element is very small in many parts of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asabi View Post
I was raised Christian but don't really practice/celebrate xmas (no kids, not married...only go to the church xmas eve ceremony when I'm visiting with my parents, etc.), so whatever floats your boat...I don't care one way or the other.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:26 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
The users on this site are predominantly American and Americans are predominantly Christian. Goes with the territory, I won't waste time being offended by it. It's silly.
Agreed. If this were an Indian site, I would expect to see messages for the Hindu holidays. Ditto for Jewish holidays were it an Israeli site. It's just a simple greeting, and if you don't celebrate Christmas, well, it's the same as saying "Merry (non-Christmas) Tuesday" then.

The whole "Merry Christmas" thing really isn't an issue for 99% of Americans. It's the far extremists who try to make it into one. I've lived in very diverse communities my whole life, and never has any non-Christian I've known protested or had an adverse reaction to being wished a "Merry Christmas", as the extreme left would have you believe. Similarly, there's not a vast left wing conspiracy to eliminate the phrase from the lexicon, as the extreme right would have you believe. It's really not an issue for most people.

I also have to say that while I celebrate and love Christmas, I am not religious. While some Christians may shudder at the thought, to me, Christmas is cultural and has nothing to do with religion even if I realize the origins of it were in fact religious. I would say based on people's behavior at Christmas time (i.e. much more time in the shopping malls waiting in line to buy Jimmy an Xbox, as opposed to in church revering the birth of Christ), that is the case for the overwhelming majority of Americans as well.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:29 PM

It is pagan too. Read about Yule. Scandinavians call Christmas jul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I also have to say that while I celebrate and love Christmas, I am not religious. While some Christians may shudder at the thought, to me, Christmas is cultural and has nothing to do with religion even if I realize the origins of it were in fact religious.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:05 PM

49 posts, read 380,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
The whole "Merry Christmas" thing really isn't an issue for 99% of Americans. It's the far extremists who try to make it into one. I've lived in very diverse communities my whole life, and never has any non-Christian I've known protested or had an adverse reaction to being wished a "Merry Christmas", as the extreme left would have you believe. Similarly, there's not a vast left wing conspiracy to eliminate the phrase from the lexicon, as the extreme right would have you believe. It's really not an issue for most people.
It's kind of funny you bring that up. At my previous job, we would have the office 'holiday' party. One of the the older engineers (a devout Christian) objected so much to it being called 'holiday' that he protested coming if it wasn't changed. So, we changed it to the office 'Christmas' party and then one of the younger engineers (who happened to be Jewish) refused to come because it was now called a 'Christmas' party...Oi vey!!

I thought it was comical (of course to myself so as not to offend), but both seemed to be pretty passionate about it.

I also remember an incident where I said 'Happy Holidays' to a check out clerk and she promptly 'corrected' me by saying 'You mean, Merry Christmas'. I just said, okay and told her to have a nice day. So, it seems some people are sensitive to the issue.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:55 PM

It becomes an issue when you make it one.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:27 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,291,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post

Chinese is an ethnicity, I am (half) Chinese... I am agnostic, my grandma is Chinese and is a super faithful catholic, she hates it when i say I'm agnostic.

i used to go to church, I am maybe weakly catholic but I don't pray or go to church. I celebrate Christmas but i know Muslims who celebrate it cause its America. I don't base my life around religion. I barley even know what Christianity is about, like who killed who the bible stories or is Jesus god, and what not... I don't make too much of an effort to find out although i do think religion is interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World