Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:45 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,868,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Indeed, why not. But this thread is about national identity and not just about answering questions.

Of course if someone asks me "Where are you from," my answer will depend on who is doing the asking.

If I'm right here in Orange County, I'll give the name of my city.

If I'm visiting relatives in another state, I'll say I'm from California., or Southern California.

If I'm in another country, I'll say I'm American. Actually, I still might say I'm from California, it just depends.

None of these answers changes my sense of national identity as an American. It was the implication that Texans identify as Texans only and NOT as Americans that was mind-boggling.

You would think they were an independent republic for hundreds of years the way they go on about it, yet it was only an independent country for 12 years. Laughable.

And you need to spend more time on the Texas forum, where many folks there would tell you straight up that they are a Texan first, and American second. I'll bet a poll in the Texas forum would confirm a majority would pick Texan first, American second.

Rick Perry quote from his very recent trip to the UK:
Office of the Governor Rick Perry - [Speech] Gov. Perry's Remarks at the Royal United Services Institute

Think of it this way: In the same decade this Institute was founded, Texas was a proud and sovereign country. Not long afterward, we became a mere state, which just goes to show you what happens when a nation lets its defenses down.........................................

And as I say that, I realize that even a proud, patriotic Texan has got nothing to teach the British people about defending freedom.

Enough said.

Last edited by tom77falcons; 10-27-2014 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:51 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,425,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You would think they were an independent republic for hundreds of years the way they go on about it, yet it was only and independent country for 12 years. Laughable.

And you need to spend more time on the Texas forum, where many folks there would tell you straight up that they are a Texan first, and American second. I'll bet a poll in the Texas forum would confirm a majority would pick Texan first, American second.

Rick Perry quote from his very recent trip to the UK:
Office of the Governor Rick Perry - [Speech] Gov. Perry's Remarks at the Royal United Services Institute

Think of it this way: In the same decade this Institute was founded, Texas was a proud and sovereign country. Not long afterward, we became a mere state, which just goes to show you what happens when a nation lets its defenses down.........................................

And as I say that, I realize that even a proud, patriotic Texan has got nothing to teach the British people about defending freedom.

Enough said.
Every time you quote Rick Perry - you lose a few IQ points.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:10 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,868,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
"What country are you from?"

"Texas."

I am now officially embarrassed for Texans.

No, I'm not from Texas. I would never live in that state. I'm from PA, which has a far longer history as a political entity and state than Texas.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:15 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,860,935 times
In Australia, some people ONLY call you "Australian" if you're of Anglo-Celtic descent.

So, if you're, say, half Italian and half English (or 10th generation Australian) they'd refer to you as "half Italian, half Aussie". Even the simpletons with mixed Anglo and non-Anglo heritage would say "I am half Aussie and half Greek"...It irks me so much. "Australian" is no ethnicity...

Americans at least say "half Irish, half Spanish", "Italian, German and Scottish", etc. No American has ever said "I'm American on one side and Scottish on the other". Lol!

And yet the stereotype is that Americans are stupid. At least they know their roots better than some of us clueless Aussies.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:37 AM

5,027 posts, read 7,447,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
In Australia, some people ONLY call you "Australian" if you're of Anglo-Celtic descent.

So, if you're, say, half Italian and half English (or 10th generation Australian) they'd refer to you as "half Italian, half Aussie". Even the simpletons with mixed Anglo and non-Anglo heritage would say "I am half Aussie and half Greek"...It irks me so much. "Australian" is no ethnicity...

Americans at least say "half Irish, half Spanish", "Italian, German and Scottish", etc. No American has ever said "I'm American on one side and Scottish on the other". Lol!

And yet the stereotype is that Americans are stupid. At least they know their roots better than some of us clueless Aussies.
I think most Australians would concentrate more on country of birth, not ancestry?. Someone with one Australian born parent and one Greek born parent would be half Australian, half Greek etc etc. That may extend to a person born in Australia to Greek parents.

How far do you go back anyway? Are white British people stupid because the don't say something like I am 1/4 Roman and 1/2 Norman and 1/4 Germanic?

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-30-2014 at 04:32 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 04:22 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,860,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I think most Australians would concentrate more on country of birth, not ancestry?. Someone with one Australian born parent and one Greek born parent would be half Australian, half Greek etc etc. That may extend to a person born in Australia to Greek parents.
Interesting input. I'd hope they do. But I kinda doubt it.

From what I noticed, even if the Italian parent is born here (Aussie-born) the child will still refer to the parent as "Italian". Aussie-born Greeks, Italians, etc, are still referred to their ancestry.

People still restrict "Aussie" to Anglo parents.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:46 AM

9,970 posts, read 12,338,105 times
Because they equal Australia = Anglo

And everything else being "ethnic"

Old 10-30-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Interesting input. I'd hope they do. But I kinda doubt it.

From what I noticed, even if the Italian parent is born here (Aussie-born) the child will still refer to the parent as "Italian". Aussie-born Greeks, Italians, etc, are still referred to their ancestry.

People still restrict "Aussie" to Anglo parents.
Well I am the father of a mixed race daughter, and I certainly do.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Because they equal Australia = Anglo

And everything else being "ethnic"
You could easily substitute the word Australia with the UK in that post

Old 10-30-2014, 05:25 AM

9,970 posts, read 12,338,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
You could easily substitute the word Australia with the UK in that post
Anglo literally means England. So that would be correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World