Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 12:39 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeWine View Post
I get what the OP was getting at when making this topic but I can not take this thread seriously and entertain this crap anymore. To say that Irish slaves were treated worse is such a illogical, disrespectful and blatant lie.

I am so over people trying to down play black American slavery like it was nothing and "not that bad".
Irish were most likely treated worse lots of times more so worse than Africans for obvious and various reasons. The truth is not meant to be poLIEtically correct!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 12:42 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
This isn't true, OP. But in the American context, most discussion is about Black slavery, it shouldn't be hard to understand why. However, even in the US, slavery wasn't exclusive to Blacks. Before there was Black slavery, there was White slavery. Mostly Irish but some English came to North America as indentured servants. But it was too easy for them to run away and blend into the general population. So finding a source of slaves that differed markedly in appearance from the property-owning class became imperative.
Irish and other whites were often branded and most slave owners eventually were people of color. The first slave owner was a person of color, a black man and he had some white slaves. This all happened in the USA.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:16 AM

89 posts, read 200,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
This isn't true, OP. But in the American context, most discussion is about Black slavery, it shouldn't be hard to understand why. However, even in the US, slavery wasn't exclusive to Blacks. Before there was Black slavery, there was White slavery. Mostly Irish but some English came to North America as indentured servants. But it was too easy for them to run away and blend into the general population. So finding a source of slaves that differed markedly in appearance from the property-owning class became imperative.
I understand in America we talk more about black slavery but dont say what I say it's not true because outside America I can tell you most of people do not really know about white slavery so...
Actually when I said "so many people have been into slavery (wars, etc...) and we still associate slavery with black only, why ?" the "why' was ironic, I already know the answer of course so when you say "it shouldn't be hard to understand"...

Now is there movie about white slavery ?
If there is, please give me the movie's name because there is always thousand of movies about black slavery but I never heard a movie about white slavery so maybe it does exist and I dont know...thank you

Old 10-29-2014, 06:08 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,378,757 times
When people say during the Atlantic slave trade white people were enslaved that's true but...

There was a racial hierarchy the colour line. Whites at the top above the colour line and people of colour below it with blacks right at the bottom

So what if whites were enslaved they don't face the same psychological effect they do today so its meaningless.

The displacement of west-Central Africans to the new world was not just simple slavery it was deeper than that - Irish people, Italians do not face the same issues.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Anyone who has been to an American high school should know that the Greeks and Romans had white slaves, and the ancient Egyptians made slaves of captured prisoners, only some of whom were black. If you went to a Catholic school you know the Irish captured the future St. Patrick on a slave raid, and he was slave there before he escaped. And so on. Some native American tribes enslaved captives as well.

But the fact is that after secondary school there are no reminders in the culture of these ancient non-black African slaves.

I think the enslavement of black Africans preoccupies the American people for a number of reasons:

1. The size of the trans-Atlantic slave trade, and the great amount of surviving material on it.
2. The fact that it existed quite late in the United States and Brazil.
3. The black and mixed-blood descendants of slaves are a sizable part of the population of the United States (and Brazil, of course.)
4. On the other hand, the fact that enslaved Roma and Tartar existed in present-day country of Romania until they were freed in the mid-19th century is probably virtually unknown due to the fact that their numbers where very much smaller, and their condition existed in an area (the Balkans) whose history is unimportant to most Americans.

And in the end, no one can deny that it is the existence of a slave system based on the ownership of black Africans that became a national issue, the focus of a terrible war, and a post-war history of Jim Crow laws, legal racial segregation of these people, and discrimination well into the 20th century. The absence of life-long chattel enslavement of white persons in the U.S. in practical terms makes that type of slavery an academic pursuit.

How many Americans ever saw or knew of a white person who was born and lived as a chattel slave, probably close to none (until the use of slave labor by the Third Reich). But most Americans of my generation and my parents knew of living black Africans who had been chattel slaves, and some whites would have know these people personally. And that is all the difference in the world.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Anyone who has been to an American high school should know that the Greeks and Romans had white slaves, and the ancient Egyptians made slaves of captured prisoners, only some of whom were black. If you went to a Catholic school you know the Irish captured the future St. Patrick on a slave raid, and he was slave there before he escaped. And so on. Some native American tribes enslaved captives as well.

But the fact is that after secondary school there are no reminders in the culture of these ancient non-black African slaves.

I think the enslavement of black Africans preoccupies the American people for a number of reasons:

1. The size of the trans-Atlantic slave trade, and the great amount of surviving material on it.
2. The fact that it existed quite late in the United States and Brazil.
3. The black and mixed-blood descendants of slaves are a sizable part of the population of the United States (and Brazil, of course.)
4. On the other hand, the fact that enslaved Roma and Tartar existed in present-day country of Romania until they were freed in the mid-19th century is probably virtually unknown due to the fact that their numbers where very much smaller, and their condition existed in an area (the Balkans) whose history is unimportant to most Americans.

And in the end, no one can deny that it is the existence of a slave system based on the ownership of black Africans that became a national issue, the focus of a terrible war, and a post-war history of Jim Crow laws, legal racial segregation of these people, and discrimination well into the 20th century. The absence of life-long chattel enslavement of white persons in the U.S. in practical terms makes that type of slavery an academic pursuit.

How many Americans ever saw or knew of a white person who was born and lived as a chattel slave, probably close to none (until the use of slave labor by the Third Reich). But most Americans of my generation and my parents knew of living black Africans who had been chattel slaves, and some whites would have know these people personally. And that is all the difference in the world.
Interesting to know, thank you.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:08 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linana75 View Post
....Now is there movie about white slavery ?
If there is, please give me the movie's name because there is always thousand of movies about black slavery but I never heard a movie about white slavery so maybe it does exist and I dont know...thank you
I am aware of one: Spartacus, which is a film epic about the Third Servile War, a huge slave rebellion in ancient Rome.

And other historical epics churned out in the 1950's by MGM and other studios set in the ancient Mediterranean (Quo Vadis? for example) always show free Romans being waited on and attended to by white slaves. And there was a popular European film that I saw, Fabiola, which also showed the rich white people with household slaves...and in this case these slaves and their activities are a secondary plot in the film.

In the modern New World white slaves were indentured slaves, rather than chattel slaves, and their post slavery integration into the general white population seems to have made their story uninteresting. My cousins have one of these as their first American ancestor (he was sold on the block for a period of two years), but his story is moderately well known in New England history because of its grossly ironic twists. He served his time, became a minister and died a well-respected and leading citizen of his township. I suspect if it weren't for its colourful details, he would just be another white American colonist with an unknown past.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
When people say during the Atlantic slave trade white people were enslaved that's true but...

There was a racial hierarchy the colour line. Whites at the top above the colour line and people of colour below it with blacks right at the bottom

So what if whites were enslaved they don't face the same psychological effect they do today so its meaningless.

The displacement of west-Central Africans to the new world was not just simple slavery it was deeper than that - Irish people, Italians do not face the same issues.
You're right, for black african the problem is deeper but I feel like when people talk about black slavery it's to remember that white people have been the masters of black for years instead of saying how terrible, inhuman this slavery was. So maybe I'm wrong to think like that.
In the world, there is still people seeing a black person as a slave or lower than other people.
Slavery is something a black will never forget, even other people should never forget about it, that's why we have book, documentaries, etc...but is that good to always talk about that especially with movies showing the white master and the poor black slave.

I think that's why some white people still feel superior to black people.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Irish and other whites were often branded and most slave owners eventually were people of color. The first slave owner was a person of color, a black man and he had some white slaves. This all happened in the USA.
Provide a source for this please.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:51 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

A voice of reason thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World