Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 12:07 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread!

I was born and bred in Scotland where I never heard of pizza, and corn was something no human would eat because it was considered as cattle feed - unfit for humans. Foundational to the Scottish diet are potatoes, hamburger (mince) - traditional dish is mince an' tatties -, Scotch Broth (home made), and fish and chips (French fries), rabbit, eggs, scones, shortbread, porridge (oatmeal), and haggis.

The fish and chip shop would sell pie (spicy minced beef mixed with eggs and 'stuff') suppers, as in you'd get these things along with your chips (French fries), black pudding (blood pudding) suppers, and whelks (crustaceans), and huge pickled onions and lots of vinegar. Scots people eat a lot of bread with butter, marmalade, or homemade jam, or just by itself and used to 'dunk' into Scotch Broth. The portions were small, as most people weren't affluent, and meat, other than hamburger, was a rarity. We ate a variety of root veggies besides potatoes, such as yams, turnips, and carrots etc. Coffee and tea were always in the house with neither one dominant over the other.

Since my youth, I've traveled much of the world and experienced many different cultures and cuisines. I'm partial to Mediterranean fare, and also to Italian, but then I like fruit, veggies, and anything 'clean' tasting too. I don't care for fried anything.

While I like a variety of foods, I'm not a 'food' person, and I'm happier having a 'taste' of this and that throughout the day, rather than eating large meals. I'm diabetic so I don't eat bread, potatoes, sugar, syrups, or anything else high carb, but I like a tablespoonful of peanut butter, cream cheese, or frozen yogurt, or a couple of squares of dark chocolate if I'm feeling hungry. That's lunch for me on most days.

The closest thing to a big meal that I eat is scrambled eggs, which I do eat almost daily (usually four of them for supper), but I don't use milk to make them. I just whisk up the eggs with a little butter for flavor, toss 'em onto a plate and add a no-carb dressing (ranch) and sprinkle with a generous helping of cayenne pepper. (My LDL is great, for anyone who's wondering.)

I have an ounce of cheese when I wake up in the morning, which I'd just as soon do without, as I don't like eating first thing, but I have to take a little food with my morning meds. Ugh! I have a glass of red wine with that which makes it almost bearable. I do like my one-liter mug of decaf coffee which I sip on throughout the morning. I tend to sip on distilled water throughout the day too, and I must total about three liters of that daily.

We usually have a couple of those chickens one can find in most deli's in N. America, and I'll pick off a piece (probably a couple of ounces) of that for lunch or supper.

I always eat a salad at some time during the day consisting of a variety of greens and a little no-carb dressing. I find I need it to keep my plumbing operational.

Were I not diabetic, I'd happily live on fruit, veggies, bread, and Scotch Broth, with the occasional slice of pizza or serving of lasagna, or flat bread with hummus, but such is not my reality nowadays. Sigh....

How's that for a Scottish Messianic Jew who now resides in Canada and still travels the world?

Mahrie.

Last edited by Mahrie; 11-07-2014 at 12:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 12:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Interesting thread!

I was born and bred in Scotland where I never heard of pizza, and corn was something no human would eat because it was considered as cattle feed - unfit for humans. Foundational to the Scottish diet are potatoes, hamburger (mince) - traditional dish is mince an' tatties -, Scotch Broth (home made), and fish and chips (French fries), rabbit, eggs, scones, shortbread, porridge (oatmeal), and haggis.

The fish and chip shop would sell pie (spicy minced beef mixed with eggs and 'stuff') suppers, as in you'd get these things along with your chips (French fries), black pudding (blood pudding) suppers, and whelks (crustaceans), and huge pickled onions and lots of vinegar. Scots people eat a lot of bread with butter, marmalade, or homemade jam, or just by itself and used to 'dunk' into Scotch Broth. The portions were small, as most people weren't affluent, and meat, other than hamburger, was a rarity. We ate a variety of root veggies besides potatoes, such as yams, turnips, and carrots etc. Coffee and tea were always in the house with neither one dominant over the other.

Since my youth, I've traveled much of the world and experienced many different cultures and cuisines. I'm partial to Mediterranean fare, and also to Italian, but then I like fruit, veggies, and anything 'clean' tasting too. I don't care for fried anything.

While I like a variety of foods, I'm not a 'food' person, and I'm happier having a 'taste' of this and that throughout the day, rather than eating large meals. I'm diabetic so I don't eat bread, potatoes, sugar, syrups, or anything else high carb, but I like a tablespoonful of peanut butter, cream cheese, or frozen yogurt, or a couple of squares of dark chocolate if I'm feeling hungry. That's lunch for me on most days.

The closest thing to a big meal that I eat is scrambled eggs, which I do eat almost daily (usually four of them for supper), but I don't use milk to make them. I just whisk up the eggs with a little butter for flavor, toss 'em onto a plate and add a no-carb dressing (ranch) and sprinkle with a generous helping of cayenne pepper. (My LDL is great, for anyone who's wondering.)

I have an ounce of cheese when I wake up in the morning, which I'd just as soon do without, as I don't like eating first thing, but I have to take a little food with my morning meds. Ugh! I have a glass of red wine with that which makes it almost bearable. I do like my one-liter mug of decaf coffee which I sip on throughout the morning. I tend to sip on distilled water throughout the day too, and I must total about three liters of that daily.

We usually have a couple of those chickens one can find in most deli's in N. America, and I'll pick off a piece (probably a couple of ounces) of that for lunch or supper.

I always eat a salad at some time during the day consisting of a variety of greens and a little no-carb dressing. I find I need it to keep my plumbing operational.

Were I not diabetic, I'd happily live on fruit, veggies, bread, and Scotch Broth, with the occasional slice of pizza or serving of lasagna, or flat bread with hummus, but such is not my reality nowadays. Sigh....

How's that for a Scottish Messianic Jew who now resides in Canada and still travels the world?

Mahrie.
I've never met a cuisine I didn't like

Growing up here in Vancouver, BC. in the 1960's I was very lucky to be introduced to a whole variety of cuisine. Mother was Quebecois so we had all those dishes, but she still made roast beef and Yorkshire pudding on Sundays.
Our church was full of Italians, so I grew up eating some amazing home cooked Italian meals and was eating biscotti before it became widespread.
My dad had Chinese and Japanese friends and learned to cook some great meals from them...Dad used to wrap his own won ton's for soup!
Even Curry was not unusual in our house at that time. Now of course fabulous curries are everywhere.

Ukrainian, Polish and Austrian friends introduced me to their food as well.

It was a fortunate way to grow up with all these cultures around me.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:43 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
I love it when you go to the US and something will say "Canadian bacon". When I was younger and first went to the states I had to ask what it was.

In Canada there is no such thing as Canadian bacon, it's called back bacon. In Canada there is also no such thing as a "soda". The only time the word soda is used is for Soda Water, outside of that it's Pop. Also in Canada there is no such thing as a "candy bar". In Canada everything is called a chocolate bar even if it doesn't have any chocolate in it.

In the UK or Australia people will meet their friends at the local pub for a drink while in Canada people are more likely to call a friend and ask them if they want to "do coffee". Tea is rare in Canada and usually it's green tea and nobody ever puts milk in their tea.........even the idea of it makes me want to vomit.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:16 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post

In the UK or Australia people will meet their friends at the local pub for a drink while in Canada people are more likely to call a friend and ask them if they want to "do coffee". Tea is rare in Canada and usually it's green tea and nobody ever puts milk in their tea.........even the idea of it makes me want to vomit.

The UK seems to have way more of a pub culture than Aus, and the family-friendly, quality pubs that go with it. The "do coffee" thing, or meet for a meal, is pretty much the standard in Aus as well. A surprisingly large proportion of people I know aren't regular drinkers; special occasions only.

Lots of green tea in Aus as well, also chai tea is pretty popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World